Talk

Advanced search

What do you make of this dress?

(33 Posts)
StripyCupcakes Thu 02-Jun-11 15:50:03

Bought this dress today. It was a bit £££ but I've got two weddings coming up (one late July, one early September), as well as a christening on Saturday, and I had birthday money to spend. Felt it suited me in changing room (C cup, 5ft 4, size 10-12), but at home, I felt it looked a bit odd in the top bit. Also, DD1 mentioned it looked like the print looked like bananas! What do you all think, should I take it back? Only other thing I have to wear to christening is this, which I also bought today, as that style of dress is very flattering on me, but I'm not sure its completely appropriate for a christening. What do you think?
Thanks!

mrsravelstein Thu 02-Jun-11 15:55:51

i like your monsoon one better than your coast one...

SarkyLady Thu 02-Jun-11 15:57:03

At that price unless you absolutely love it then I would take it back.

leothelioness Thu 02-Jun-11 15:57:48

I don't like the maxi sorry, not the colour the print or the way it drapes.
The other dress is pretty but not sure if its OK for a christening

NieuweBuurvrouw Thu 02-Jun-11 15:58:31

Monsoon one is much, much nicer and fine for a christening, IMHO. You've had a luck escape.

LIZS Thu 02-Jun-11 16:03:36

prefer the Monsoon one

FunnyLittleFrog Thu 02-Jun-11 16:04:36

The Monsoon one is lovely. I'd wear it with a little cardie or shrug and low heels for a christening.

dexter73 Thu 02-Jun-11 16:05:58

Definitely take it back. If you aren't sure of it you will never wear it. The Monsson one will be great for a christening or a wedding.

StripyCupcakes Thu 02-Jun-11 16:10:15

Thanks all. I think I'm going to take back the maxi dress, really not not sure about it now, and seems a bit like a waste of money. The problem with the Monsoon one is that its quite short, and I don't think its suitable. Any ideas on what I could buy? No more than £150 if possible, but I can go a little over if necessary.

StripyCupcakes Thu 02-Jun-11 16:11:52

Thanks all. I think I'm going to take back the maxi dress, really not not sure about it now, and seems a bit like a waste of money. The problem with the Monsoon one is that its quite short, and I don't think its suitable. Any ideas on what I could buy? No more than £150 if possible, but I can go a little over if necessary.

FebreezeYourJeans Thu 02-Jun-11 16:22:04

My sister just bought this she's a little taller than you but it is unbelievably slimming and elegant on. Gorgeous. But maybe too formal for a christening?

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 16:27:34

I don't like the Monsoon one - the print looks like plasticine when it all merges together. The maxi is nicer but a bit too flouncy for my liking and very expensive for something you don't love.

lovely but still expensive

gorgeous print but depends on your colouring

NieuweBuurvrouw Thu 02-Jun-11 16:30:44

That's beautiful Fabreeze. Surely perfect?

NieuweBuurvrouw Thu 02-Jun-11 16:33:27

TB dresses also lovely but maybe likely to date quickly?

mathanxiety Thu 02-Jun-11 17:30:19

The maxi looks very drab (and I can see your DD's point too). You will look like 1970s wallpaper in it. The Monsoon is a bit too far in the other direction.

Would you consider this? Maybe a bit expensive though. Or this? -- a bit like the Monsoon number but longer.

Or this? Elegant and just above knee length. Yellow is nice for September and flowers nice for a christening.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 17:58:57

Gorgeous but only if small of nork

Don't like that yellow Coast one at all but Stripy might.

Oh and it's deffo worth a look in the Outlet bit of the Hobbs site. It won't link to individual items but some v nice dresses there.

mathanxiety Thu 02-Jun-11 18:01:57

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie -- that is a fab dress.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 18:06:29

Come back OP and tell us what you think! smile

math - it would be hideous on me but is so beautiful; v similar to a Stella M one that is about 400 pounds.

pink4ever Thu 02-Jun-11 18:28:14

Op-the maxi is vile-sorry but the Monsoon ones is lovely(as long as you small of nork?). Are you sure its too short?.

CDMforever Thu 02-Jun-11 19:40:21

Please Miss....what is "nork"?

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 21:06:48

Norks are breasts! Tis a MN thing, methinks.

StripyCupcakes Thu 02-Jun-11 21:10:15

Thank you so much all of you. I must say, I LOVE the Phase Eight dress - absolutely gorgeous! Hobbs flowery one also beautiful, but definitely wouldn't suit me I know. What would I wear with the dress (here) do you think? Nude heels? Or a colour? I'll need a pashmina/wrap/shrug/cardi, what colours would go? I have a pashmina in a similar colour to this dress, would that go?? Can afford to spend about £50-£70 on shoes and cover-up.
Thank you and sorry!

7to25 Thu 02-Jun-11 22:17:44

Nude heels
Don't like the pashmina colour, Coast has lovely shrugs/boleros in nude.
Love the dress

chinateacup Thu 02-Jun-11 22:35:34

OP love the Coast one - but am clearly in the minority - with a little shrug/ pasmina and some flats and a big chunky necklace. Love the Phase Eight suggestion too. They have some fab other stuff at the moment too ...
As 7to25 def nude heels with the P8 dress and a toned down/ neutral pashmina.

FebreezeYourJeans Thu 02-Jun-11 23:01:50

I'm so glad you love it, my sis bought it with nude heels (actually more greyish than pinkish nude though) almost a perfect match to the dress, but she has concerns about her legs/ankles and wanted to match to elongate as much as possible.

Not sure what I'd do for a cover up though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now