Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

A confession: I'm not very good at casualwear.

(16 Posts)
Pinkjenny Thu 02-Jun-11 14:35:09

We spent the weekend in a caravan <<faints>> with bf and her family. I took lots of ridiculously inappropriate clothes, skinny jeans and the like, and I was ludicrously uncomfortable most of the time. It struck me that I am just not very good at casualwear. Activewear, y'know, that kind of malarkey.

Have ordered a couple of things from The White Company, and am in the market for a nice The North Face jacket, but does anyone have any ideas?

How do I look fashionable, chic and comfortable all at once?

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 14:43:48

I'm rubbish at it, so watching this space!

Today I am wearing - long draped charcoal maxi skirt, White Company white and grey striped vest top, denim shirt worn open, flat sandals. It's comfortable and looks okay but I do feel a bit 'old fat lady in comfortable clothing' in it!

Pinkjenny Thu 02-Jun-11 15:22:44

We must be the only ones, Colonel. Have just ordered a couple of things from Hush, if you want to take a look over there.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 16:12:47

Will do. What did you order from the White Company? I've got a couple of bits from there and do like them but their range is v limited.

Pinkjenny Thu 02-Jun-11 16:28:32

I ordered this and this and these and this from The White Company. And this and this from Hush.

<<flexes credit card>>

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 16:34:20

Love the two Hush things. The White Company jersey dresses are good - v comfortable and feel lovely to wear.

Soups Thu 02-Jun-11 22:10:19

I'm no good with smart wear smile

What was the problem with what you took? More active than usual? Not warm enough? Too restrictive? ... because you were slobbing around outside, rather than in a hotel bar? Were you in a mobile home caravan, or a caravan caravan, where maybe you where toddling off to the toilet block?

I'm imagining you turning up with 2 spray on dresses + a pair of killer heelsgrin

For summer tent camping I take things that can be layered easily as the temp changes and that I can move in easily. I do take skinny jeans + wedges for nice wear, my skinnies are stretchy. I find that dresses with leggings are a really useful combo. If we go to a mobile home I'm smarter but follow similar rules.

I like all the bits you ordered smile

cyb Thu 02-Jun-11 22:12:14

Hmm. I dont like casual stuff either really, but I would wear sort of soft harem style cropped trews and a top or something comfy like that

Or a jersey dress. I reckon its what its made of rather thhan the style thats more important, IYSWIM

Ellie02 Thu 02-Jun-11 22:20:31

Am watching this space too with interest smile

prolificwillybreeder Thu 02-Jun-11 22:27:53

I am another who just can't do casual wear well.
I look ridiculous anytime I have tried.
I love the clothes you have linked to but I can't wear a hood sadly I just look awful sad
I watch with interest.
Thank you for introducing me to Hush though- some great stuff.
Also- if you have bought from White Company before, how is their fit? Do the t shirts wash well? Very sorry for all the questions!

Soups Thu 02-Jun-11 22:34:42

Agree cyb, it's not so much the style but the material and how it allows you to move.

I have recently bought some soft harem style trousers, not very saggy bottomed, for such purposes. I wouldn't wear them into town but perfect for sitting outside with a bottle of wine, they look fine with a vest top, and I can layer when it's cold and dark.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Thu 02-Jun-11 23:12:48

White Company - the fit is generally slightly on the bigger side ime - their mediums are loose on me and their smalls are generally good in dresses etc (although I prefer t-shirts looser and am v norky). I'm a 10-12 on the bottom and a 12-14 on top, generally.

I don't 'do' hoodies but I do have a grey linen and cotton mix open front cardigan (no waterfall!) which comes to around mid-thigh length and which I love as a layer over anything from a breton style dress, to skinny combats, to a denim skirt.

JamInMyWellies Thu 02-Jun-11 23:24:47

PJ are you going to try and out casual wear us when we do our camping trip. grin Actually must get that sorted...

What is wrong with skinnies?

I agree hush does lovely stuff. I am coveting their cashmere v neck sweaters. I have a couple of pairs of their pj bottoms which are super comfy.

Vizzini Fri 03-Jun-11 09:03:20

I have the Hush Byron dress - it's lovely. I also have the tulip skirt and some of the 'boxy jumpers'. I adore Hush and I wish I could just buy everything they sell. That'd be my casual wear sorted!

Pinkjenny Fri 03-Jun-11 09:25:40

Jam - No, my love. I would never attempt to out-style someone as cool as you grin

I just felt a bit overdressed with my skinnies on, somehow. And they aren't exactly what I would describe as comfortable.

Looking forward to camping, let me know if I can do anything.

Soups - I took a pair of killer heels and felt like the world's biggest twat in the evening wearing them. I think I just didn't go casual enough, I looked less ready for a boat trip on Windermere, and more ready for a day shopping with friends. Not that I ever do that either!

We were at <<whispers>> Haven, in a mobile home caravan. Very nice it was, too. Although I fear I spent the entire weekend saying, 'At Centerparcs...' and our friends wanted to throttle me.

prolific - I've only ever ordered nightwear and homewear from TWC - will keep you posted!

Pinkjenny Fri 10-Jun-11 10:48:33

Colonel - loved all the Hush items. White Company stuff was gorgeous too, the only thing I'm returning is that Henley top, which is hideous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: