Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I can confirm i shall be burning all my maxi dresses

(164 Posts)
redderthanred Wed 01-Jun-11 11:47:47

because they do, in fact, make you look pregnant. When you are not.
And lead to an all round awkward conversation.

( fuckers)

and there i was thinking i was looking quite thin and stylish and floaty ( collegues said i looked nice, family said i looked nice - they all lied)

Katisha Wed 01-Jun-11 11:49:13

I've never really seen one work in RL...

RamblingRosa Wed 01-Jun-11 11:50:04

Surely only if they're empire line?

redderthanred Wed 01-Jun-11 11:56:21

Its thin straps, quite booby. Loose fitted, but not billowy, Empire line.
aka a maternity dress in discuise.

Mortifying.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 01-Jun-11 11:59:16

ii think you have to be at least 5ft 8 and a size 10 to make them work....

SarkyLady Wed 01-Jun-11 12:00:41

How many do you have?

Could a wide belt save them?

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 01-Jun-11 12:02:04

Can I ask what gave you this Damascene experience?
(I'm with you on it, btw).

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 12:03:51

Maxi dresses are the emperors new clothes.

Everyone looks shit in 'em.

I am very tall and thin, however they make me looked misshapen and dropped-arse. Plus as I am tall they are always a tiny bit too short and end at a distinctly frumpy length.

I said on another thread that worn with platforms they make me look like a pre-op transexual.

HIDEOUS things. Floaty my arse.

Plus if you go up steps in them whilst tipsy you will stand on the hem and fall flat on your face.

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 12:05:57

There must be a tiny seletion of women they look OK on. Not too tall, not too short. Not to fat, not too thin. So about 5 foot 9 size 10. possibly But I think that everyone could find a more flattering dress. In 10 years time people will look at maxis and cringe in manner of Abigail's Party.

adamschic Wed 01-Jun-11 12:09:45

I've got 2. 5ft 2 and size 10 and I don't look pregnant in them. They both have a slimline amount of material. I've tried a few on and agree they look hideous. I think you have to shop around to find nice ones.

adamschic Wed 01-Jun-11 12:10:50

Meant to say 'most' can look hideous.

redderthanred Wed 01-Jun-11 12:15:43

5ft 3 and a size 14.

I dont look That bad, but i was coming down the stairs and holding it up to get down the stairs..woman was old too. AND i had changed out of my lovely tall shoes into flip flop sandal things... meh.

Maybe because its so booby? or im so booby? and then it is empire line. Collegues ( after falling about laughing) reckon its because it would look like a maternity dress that maybe she woiuld have worn. Or in fact just any maternity dress really.

Fuckers.
smile

cleverything Wed 01-Jun-11 12:37:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vonnyh Wed 01-Jun-11 12:38:11

Some women look fat in maxis. I'm not booby, am tall, and NEVER wear empire line dresses, maxi or otherwise, cos those DO make me look fat.

KaraToytown Wed 01-Jun-11 12:38:39

I look pregnant in everything. sad
Maxi dresses are the least of my problem.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 01-Jun-11 12:39:45

Those cotton printed 'gypsy' ones are uniformly gopping. I have one maxi dress that I still think is lovely though - it's more figure-skimming, made of soft silk, halter neck and definitely no ruching.

ElectricSoftParade Wed 01-Jun-11 12:43:53

It's the ones with bits of lace inbetween the sections of dress iyswim? They make every the most slender of women look like weebles.

I do have a couple of maxi dresses though, I look like a sack of tatties. Sadly.

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 12:44:42

Mind you I like the look of those long, lean stripey jersey vest style ones.

Not tried one on though.

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 12:45:16

Yes I know the type you mean electric, they would make Keira Knightley look a bit portly.

ZZZenAgain Wed 01-Jun-11 12:45:38

I saw a tall woman in a nice maxi dress yesterday. she looked so good, I even thought I might try one on myself!

Am far too short though

redderthanred Wed 01-Jun-11 12:45:44

Im not showing bra straps. im got a strapless one on smile
Its just a plain cotton one. Not clingy, sort of a- line cut i supose.
It was from H&M.

Im aware im not thin, and might be a bit chubby( have and am losing weight though)
but i dont look pregnant.

WoTmania Wed 01-Jun-11 12:47:27

I love mine and don't look too bad. I'm 5'3" and about size 8 which probably helps. I've got lean shoulders and arms (muscled not skinny) which also probably helps

BulletWithAName Wed 01-Jun-11 12:49:31

Yay! Good for you! They're hideous <shudder>.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 01-Jun-11 12:51:23

I'm 5 6 and half and a size 14 and I look like a wide arsed frump in them...wth belt and high heels or without. I agree...you need to be tall and skinnny. If you look like you have anything to hide in all that fabric then t looks like you're trying to look thin...if you are thin it just looks like you're tying to be comfy.

CHOOGIRL Wed 01-Jun-11 12:51:32

I am 5ft 6 have several and look fabulous in them. The trick is to wear the correct maxi for your shape, colouring, etc. I took delivery of this yesterday can't wait to wear it.

MrsCambellblack is shorter than me and looks more than fabulous she was even complimented by a celebrity.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: