Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Scottish style?

(29 Posts)
MsInterpret Tue 31-May-11 20:16:24

Style gurus of MN I beseech thee:

I have a fancy dress party/outdoor gathering in a few weeks where I have to dress as someone Scottish. Obviously I want to also look good, glamorous etc. So.... who to be?

DH fancies thinks I should go as Kirsty Wark but I'm understandably keener to channel a sexier, more dramatic and...well, more recognisable look.

I'm thinking silver dress a la Kelly McDonald in trainspotting but not sure I can pull it off or maybe an OTT Lady macbeth in flowing gown with bloody red hands? That is all I've come up with so far.

Is it an impossible task?!

LisMcA Tue 31-May-11 20:26:50

Erm right.....

Jimmy Krankie
Miss jean Brodie
Lorraine Kelly (Tartan Mini and bra over a t-shirt!!)
Karen Gilan (Amy Pond from Dr Who)

I am Scottish and really struggling to think of anyone else!! I like the Kelly McDonald idea though!

gapants Tue 31-May-11 20:28:50

Annie Lennox- cropped red hair, mans suit
Sheena Easton- eighties bouffant hair, mico mini, have a picture of Prinve with you
Lulu- red wig, 60s mini shift dress, go round shouting "weeeeeeeeeeeeeell!"
SuBo- frump!

gapants Tue 31-May-11 20:29:35

Mary Queen of Scots
The Queens mum

LisMcA Tue 31-May-11 20:30:02

Oooh Mary Doll from Rab C Nesbitt or SuBo??

MsInterpret Tue 31-May-11 20:31:42

Some great ideas thanks!

I'm liking the Lulu idea at the moment too - should be easy enough to get a wig like that and a dress. Easy but still looking good is my mandate... i.e I would love to go as Annie Lennox but can't pull off the cropped hair!

Miss Jean Brodie would be great but a bit hot I'm thinking with all the tartan and wool that would probably involve.

maybe I can pull of Kelly McDonald with some really really good tights...hmm <pasty legs emoticon>

spooktrain Wed 01-Jun-11 09:27:41

pasty legs are very Scottish, you're already half way there

ggirl Wed 01-Jun-11 09:30:05

billy connolly grin

LindyHemming Wed 01-Jun-11 09:41:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TattyDevine Wed 01-Jun-11 11:37:00

If I just rolled out of bed first thing in the morning and lobbed up at a party I reckon they'd mistake me for ol Billy grin

mippy Wed 01-Jun-11 16:43:54

If you're small, Claire Grogan in her Altered Images days.

Jbck Wed 01-Jun-11 17:03:06

Annie Lennox doesn't only do cropped hair. here

midnightexpress Wed 01-Jun-11 17:11:41

Annie Lennox more glam

Shirley Manson from Garbage?

Sharleen Spiteri?

Tilda Swinton is sort of Scottish too - she lives up in the Highlands anyway, so you could go as teh queen from narnia or something?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 01-Jun-11 17:16:45

Get a poke o chips - hold it in one hand with a fag in the other

Swear a lot - job done

Or get a string vest and go as Rab grin

LisMcA Wed 01-Jun-11 17:24:18

If you fake tan your legs and it goes wrong go as a can of Irn Bru!

Gillybobs Wed 01-Jun-11 17:36:06

Carol "smiley" Smillie? From her changing rooms days?

AuraofDora Wed 01-Jun-11 17:43:24

drastic dramatic shaved head or even naked - the gail porter look

Like the fake tan idea .. ta-dah it's Irene Bru!

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 01-Jun-11 18:25:49

Ooh, what about Moira Shearer, ballerina, starred in The Red Shoes ? You could wear lovely things for that, and there's loads of appropriate stuff about at mo. V on trend!

Ashley Jensen - you could go as her in Ugly Betty - a bit fashiony?

Dawn Steele - she's in Wild At heart now, you could go safari ish? NB I don't watch it, she may not actually wear safari style in show!

<ponders>

Kirsty Hume, Stella Tennant (models), and just wear lovely things?

A character from a Jack Vettriano painting ? The Red Dress one??

Ormirian Wed 01-Jun-11 18:31:05

Yes to Lady Macbeth! Loads of opportunity to be dramatic, devilish and Medieval.

bethelbeth Wed 01-Jun-11 21:57:36

Get a stripey wig and wear some neons with chunky shoes/heels and you can be Manda Rin of Bis fame!

planetmanda.com/bis/biog.asp

Also you would get token obscure Glaswegian pop culture points!

Or you could go as Michelle McManus for the LOL-factor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_McManus

K999 Wed 01-Jun-11 22:02:39

Michelle Mone....just go in your Ultimo bra grin

MsInterpret Thu 02-Jun-11 15:10:12

Te hee K999. Yes, that'll be flattering. Wow, thanks for all the ideas, I am pondering, pondering them all...

JennyPiccolo Thu 02-Jun-11 21:45:33

Isobel Campbell if we're going Glasgow Indie.

eh... Nicola Sturgeon? haha

Lady Macbeth is pretty good, i did it for halloween one year though and nobody got it.

someone from The Scheme? Jacqueline McCafferty?

mippy Thu 02-Jun-11 23:55:01

Jacqueline McCafferty would be ace, but migth be lost on an English party sadly. You could hand out chuu-x buns.

MsInterpret Fri 03-Jun-11 08:00:46

Jenny, I like your thinking (--apart --from Nicola). I would love to go as Isobel Campbell but also still leaning towards Lady Macbeth - what did you do for your costume? So I can see if it is really feasible...!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: