Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Yikes!Posh party to go to-nothing to wear and no idea...

(9 Posts)
Mimmit Mon 30-May-11 20:17:21

I am due to go to my first party since DC were born (over 4 years!!) but am on point of bailing out due to having nothing to wear and no clue where to start. I break out in cold sweats at the thought of me being out looking and feeling stupid, old and out of date.
I am late thirties, size 10, 5'8"ish. Figure ok but legs look like milk bottles with blue veins. It will be quite posh but I haven't been out in so long I don't know how much people dresss up IYSWIM. It all seems so much work I don't think I can face it, but then it worries me that I am thinking like that.
Can any of you style gurus give me some tips please?

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 30-May-11 20:45:16

Well you're tall and slim so thats a good start smile

How about a maxi dress with pretty flat sandals and a denim jacket to put on if its chilly? Lots of bangles and looks glam but casual.

What is your budget?

BialystockandBloom Mon 30-May-11 20:51:11

What kind of party? Daytime or evening? In someone's house or a venue? Dinner or cocktail party? We need details!

There's always the failsafe LBD as a standby....

Mimmit Mon 30-May-11 20:51:40

Thank you MrsCB, sounds like a plan! Not sure of budget-maybe £100 to include everything (will probably need shoes too) but saying that I am willing to blow a bit more if I find something nice and can wear it all again. Am prepared for it to be pricey by the time I factor in grooming costs of fake tan, threading, bit of new make up etc. Seems such a big project to get me looking presentable I should probably switch off and start now! wink
I am looking at boohoo (mentioned on another thread) but it all seems a bit young for me.

mrsmoores Mon 30-May-11 21:05:05

If you're thinking of a maxi I'm 5ft 9 and tried this on the other day for a party.

It was long enough and a lovely slinky material without being too over the top. Also means you don't have to fake tan your legs!!

Mimmit Tue 31-May-11 09:38:15

Sorry for disappearing.DS woke up and stayed up!Hi Bialystock, it is an evening do at a very nice venue, not a dinner just a posh party-not sure about the cocktail bit!

I do have a Karen Millen black dress which I can still fit into but I just don't know if it is not summery enough. Have black shoes which would go but it all looks a bit sombre and it is not a dress that can easily be accessorised to add colour that way.
I was looking at coast and saw a really nice royal blue longsleeved dress which I like (can't do the link I'm afraid). May go and try it on today but would need fake tan.

Mrsm I love that dress but for me I think I need to wear some heels to feel dressed up and I think that dress would probably be better with flats. It is a new website to me though so I am going to have a look at it.
Thank you!

safran Tue 31-May-11 10:55:52

Would you go for a jumpsuit - keeps the legs covered whilst still feeling a bit more dressy than trouser and a top
Coast Jumpsuit
Coast also have a lot of Maxi dress options so may be worth a look

safran Tue 31-May-11 10:57:41

oops just realised you'd already looked at Coast. Was it the Rapunzal Dress? Lovely and great colour but would need a good fake tan.

Mimmit Tue 31-May-11 11:32:46

hi safran. I really like the jumpsuit and I had wondered about them for the coverage. Thing is I'm not sure what I more self conscious of- legs or untoned arms! I am really just not getting into this at all. need to get my bum out of the door to the shops and try things on.
My plan is to get defuzzed today, buy some tan and if that works I will try the dress. It is the Rapunzal one. If I get the legs sorted it doesn't show much else! Thank you- will try on some jumpsuits and let you know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: