Talk

Advanced search

The one that got away

(13 Posts)
Mumswang Mon 30-May-11 15:41:04

Does anyone else harbour lingering regrets that they didn't grab somthing when they had the chance?

My current one is a pair of gold sandals from anthropologie, they were called somthing or other flame.

I so wish I'd bought them. I often look at an outfit and think 'if only I had then this would be perfect'

Yet I've wasted thousands on rubbish I never wear

What are your hankered after items?

mittenkittenhasthumbs Mon 30-May-11 17:10:52

Yes. Great topic, OP!

-- truly bargainous flowered cotton Paul & Joe shirt. Of course it was gone by the next day.

-- vintage Ossie Clark long flowy dark blue skirt -- under a hundred quid at a vintage show. OSSIE BLOODY CLARK. I ask you . . . .

Meggles76 Mon 30-May-11 20:10:48

years and years ago, in my 20s, a Diesel striped blazer... Had it in my hand in Selfridges, put it back.... later went back but it was gone. I can still picture it now!!!

novelsituation Mon 30-May-11 21:31:40

My OTGA was a black cotton shirtdress from French Connection (4 or 5 years ago ) . It was great fit and had really cute black and white buttons which looked like mint humbugs. I could have worn it to work, out for lunch, anywhere really.... Typical -you find something really great when you are broke.

methodsandmaterials Mon 30-May-11 21:40:30

The most incredible pair of trousers by Barbara Bui. Just thinking about them hurts.

partyhats Mon 30-May-11 21:51:26

Some Leopoldo Giordano shoes in selfridges about 10 years ago. I bought one pair which I have worn every year for the 10 years. I also bought another pair when they went down in the sale then returned them for a reason that is still a mystery to me!! still feel sad about it, they would have gone with everything.

Bellebelle Mon 30-May-11 22:27:52

A gorgeous scarf I saw in Anthropologie last winter which I went back to buy the next day and it was gone. Called round all the stores, online etc but they didn't get anymore in, was just thinking about it today actually.

However, there was also a Girls From Savoy dress in Anthropologie last year which I was desperate for but couldn't afford at the time and when it went in the sale it was only in a size 6. I had been looking out for it on EBay and last week one came up in my size and I won it for a quarter of the price. It arrived on Friday and it's perfect!

(BTW I only go to Anthroplogie a few times per year when I'm in London, there's obviously something going on with that shop and the 'ones that got away.' Maybe it's the prices!)

Mumswang Tue 31-May-11 13:17:43

Bellebelle, let's do a midnight raid on the Athropologie warehouse, perhaps they have our ones that got away languishing, forgotten in dusty corners, waiting patiently for us smile

Very glad you got your dress though, am off to search ebay for my shoes...

MrsSeanBean Tue 31-May-11 13:23:03

Loads of items over the years! How is it we manage to persuade ourselves to buy things we don't really love; yet when we do love something we persuade ourselves not to?!

A Hobbs cord skirt (years ago) never found another (or a satisfactory alternative)

A black Mabel bag reduced at the Mulberry outlet to about £120. (In my defence, I had already scooped up 3 items and felt a 4th would be a tad excessive - but in retrospect less so!)

Quite recently, a brightly patterned nightlingale (? I think) scarf from NW3 (couldn't see it on the Hobbs website) but there is still hope as due to the sad banality of my life now, I haven't yet been able to go back to civilisation John Lewis to look in the shop again.

MrsSeanBean Tue 31-May-11 13:23:56

PS The ebay tip is a good one. The original owner will have gone right off the item while we have been pining - thereby enabling a bargainous buy for me, the rightful owner... :-)

gregssausageroll Tue 31-May-11 13:30:32

Mulberry Fitzrovia bag in cream. By the time I'd saved to buy they were gone. It was 2007 stock and it still hurts now. I'd do anything for one.

MrsSeanBean Tue 31-May-11 13:31:33

Keep checking on ebay greggs...

gregssausageroll Tue 31-May-11 13:35:18

There is one on ebay but it is black. I am so tempted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now