Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What can I dress my 5 year old tomboy DD in for a wedding?

(10 Posts)
JellyBabiesAndLollipops Sun 29-May-11 11:50:58

SIL's wedding in August. DD refused to be bridesmaid as she hates dresses. Now I'm struggling to find something that she'll wear that's smart enough. Any ideas? Anyone been in the same situation? Thank You!

peeriebear Sun 29-May-11 11:54:50

Sailor style trousers with a pretty top and shrug?
When i was about 10 I was the same; my mum bought me khaki shorts, a white blouse and leather gladiator style sandals. With the most hideous 90s style floral handbag!

Granny23 Sun 29-May-11 11:58:53

Why don't you ask your DD instead of coming on here? Obviously she rules the roost and will make her own choice anyway.

With my DD's I would have told them that it was like a fancy dress party. Either they dress up in the required costume or they cannot go. End of.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 29-May-11 12:03:50

Well, either a plain, non frou-frou dress, or trousers and a shirt I would have thought.

NorthernGobshite Sun 29-May-11 12:04:02

My dd is a tomboy but will happily put on what is put out for her, and wears 'party clothes' happily. At 6 she doesn't have that much of an opinion about clothes, and rightly so...I am always surprised when people say "oh my 3 year old won't wear...".

PaisleyLeaf Sun 29-May-11 12:05:46

She's just 5. Surely that's too young to be labeled and written off.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 29-May-11 12:09:26

How about hareem pants and a purple vest?

fivegomadindorset Sun 29-May-11 12:18:14

My DD also refuses to wear anything that evern pertains to be a piece of girls clothing, to the point that she gets hysterical about it, not spoilt, does not rule the roost in her mind she is a boy.

My symapthies OP, I wouldn't have a clue, smart shorts and shirt perhaps, how old is she?

mewkins Sun 29-May-11 13:55:26

I think OP just wanted to know if anyone had seen any nice smart not too girlie stuff for her dd to wear rather than have her parenting style criticised. Next have got some nice wide legged cotton trousers and smart tops that would be good. Lots of reds and navy.

DuchessEm Sun 29-May-11 20:49:26

I agree with the sailor/nautical look. It's smart, but not too girly. Would your DD wear something like these with a top like this or this ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: