Talk

Advanced search

Wedding dress... please give your opinion!

(17 Posts)
kd73 Sat 28-May-11 21:50:35

www.mylove-dress.com/spaghetti-straps-embroider-keen-length-discount-customermade-design-wedding-dress-2011-p-1972.html

Can't find it in the UK and a bit worried about purchasing from the us off the net...

kd73 Sat 28-May-11 22:05:30

bump

ElectricSoftParade Sat 28-May-11 22:08:06

That dress is lovely and very similar to mine. I would be unsure about ordering it from the US, I suppose only because I haven't done it before.

I found mine in Selfridges. Good luck with your search.

UrsulaBuffay Sat 28-May-11 22:08:28

Oh I think it's lovely!

posterofagirl Sat 28-May-11 22:11:04

Lovely. Just order it with plenty of time to spare and on the bigish side so you can get a dressmaker to sort it out if the fit isn't perfect.

UrsulaBuffay Sat 28-May-11 22:11:50

You could see if a dressmaker could make you a copy, are there more photos? I wouldn't trust ordering either.

nannycheechee Sat 28-May-11 22:13:20

I think it's a gorgeous shape. Hope it works out well for you.

ladyGeraldine Sun 29-May-11 14:06:59

Lovely dress

emsyj Sun 29-May-11 17:08:53

It's not a US company, they are in China. It says this if you go to FAQs and click on 'where are you located?'

I ordered a wedding dress from China. I didn't wear it in the end, but it was nice quality (certainly equal to the mid-range bridal dresses I tried on from labels like Maggie Sottero, Alfred Angelo etc) and I didn't have any problems. I chose a different style and had it made for me in the UK, which was not hugely expensive. There was nothing wrong with the Chinese dress, it just wasn't the right style for me (strapless - doesn't suit me). If you want a dress from China, I can recommend Milly Bridal.

If you want a UK made dress, I used Joanne Fleming in Brighton and her prices are very reasonable. She will design just what you want. I paid £390 for my 50s style dress, but I think her prices have gone up since then - that was 2 years ago. Still not hugely expensive though - and it was silk and fully bespoke.

willybreeder Sun 29-May-11 21:55:21

It's really pretty and a bit different from the usual

emsyj Sun 29-May-11 21:58:30

Forgot to say, the original dress is a Johanna Hehir - here

www.johanna-hehir.com/prom-style-wedding-dress-2258-yvette-p-690.html

chocolateteabag Sun 29-May-11 22:22:23

It's lovely - but I'd get a UK dress maker to make it for you. That way you can be totally sure of fit and fabric.
$90 isn't much for a dress but still a bummer if it turns out to be not quite right.

It's not a tough pattern so wouldn't be too difficult to make.

BlackSwan Sun 29-May-11 22:29:32

Don't do it!

Love the dress - the original one that is. You're giving your credit card details to a Chinese company that rips off dress designs and you're trusting them to make your wedding dress? Don't assume this is a legit business. At worst you'll get nothing for your money and at best, in my view, a cheap looking knock off - which is all they're advertising anyway.

Go to a shop and buy one off the rack or second hand. You must try it on before you by it.

canyou Sun 29-May-11 22:43:26

If you really want it and want to order it instead of having it made use a prepaid credit card to be safe.
It is a beautiful dress.

emsyj Sun 29-May-11 22:44:15

Me again - I didn't buy a copy dress from China, I had one made to my own spec (as was so hard to find tea length dresses in the UK other than Candy Anthony, who are £££££). Agree that if you love that dress, you should buy the original. Now you know where to find it you can go and try it on! grin

Pagwatch Sun 29-May-11 22:47:41

I think the phrase about it being a 95% representation of the photograph would concern me.
As would the lack of information about the fabric.

muminthemiddle Sun 29-May-11 23:34:07

Agree with others. Have it made here where you can try it on .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now