Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Post your favorite low price every day summer dresses here for me to look at please!

(21 Posts)
geraldinetheluckygoat Sat 28-May-11 16:11:01

I'm after summer dresses that won't look over the top for every day...I love wearing dresses and am trying to make the effort to look nicer and get out of jeans and trousers.
Im size fourteen, problem area is thighs, so I can't wear short dresses, just above knee is my limit. I love maxi dresses, dont like flashing tons of cleavage, like bright colours...

So have you seen any nice dresses about, what's your favorite? Im on a small budget, under £30 would be brilliant...grin

ellangirl Sat 28-May-11 19:46:27

There's some nice ones in peacocks, not sure if any of these float your boat

turquoise
beaded
floral
denim

carriedababi Sat 28-May-11 20:34:37

ahem, i think you mean a school run dress don't ya geri?
grinwink

novelsituation Sat 28-May-11 21:10:41

I've just bought this maxi from Debenhams and really love the print. Only gets three stars on their website because the sizing is crazy. I am a 14 but the 10 fits perfectly.

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_057010435155_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EWomen%7EDresses

carriedababi Sat 28-May-11 21:21:03

oh nice maxi dress

carriedababi Sat 28-May-11 22:54:38

how about this bit dressy for the day time?

ljb11 Sat 28-May-11 22:58:52

I had two of those Debenhams dresses last year and they are great, because they're crinkly they pack well. Was desperate to buy some more this year but the colour doesn't suit me! Agree with the sizing - definately buy 1-2 sizes down.

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 29-May-11 16:20:48

YES!! I do mean a school run dress! I want to ponce about in dresses as much as possible this summer grin Right thanks for the links, I am going to look at them now!

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 29-May-11 16:27:06

I like the maxi dress, and the peacocks ones are nice too ( they have surprisingly nice things in there, don't they?), I liked the first one, nice print. Yeah, Carriedababi that one is a bit dressy for me, Im a bit more casual on the whole...
Theres some nice ones on Dorothy Perkins website..what do you think of this I love the colours, but it looks short....although I am only 5'4 so sometimes things come a bit longer...

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 29-May-11 16:30:17

would this be over the top for the school run? I live in a deprived area, don't want to draw too much attention to myself grin

LawrieMarlow Sun 29-May-11 16:41:45

I have some nice dresses from Sainsburys and Tesco smile About £16 or £18 I think.

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 29-May-11 17:22:04

ooooh I hadn't thought about looking there...or asda, will have a look online, thanks Lawrie!

LawrieMarlow Sun 29-May-11 18:03:03

Asda have some nice looking ones too but don't work with my small chested figure smile

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 29-May-11 18:05:21

ahh, I have just looked, they do have some nice stuff, I have big boobs, so might be ok for me grin Just been looking at tesco, they have some nice maxi dresses. Did you buy any maxis from Tesco, and if so do they come up hideously long?

carriedababi Sun 29-May-11 18:58:59

i knew itgrin

don't blame you girlwink

me too

LawrieMarlow Sun 29-May-11 18:59:17

My tesco ones are shorter ones but have got a maxi one from H&M that isn't too long (I'm 5 foot 4). Have tried on maxi dresses in some places that are v long (possibly New Look?)

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 29-May-11 19:18:13

yes new look maxis are obscenely long, made for GIANTS!!

Have you seen how many dresses are available in Dorothy Perkins?! Thousands. But lots of short ones, no good for my chubby legs...

LawrieMarlow Sun 29-May-11 19:47:43

Haven't looked at Dorothy Perkins - will have to give it a go smile

carriedababi Sun 29-May-11 20:53:01

geri don't forget you can have them taken up, for probably 10-15 quid

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 29-May-11 21:35:31

That is true......or by my mum! I do love a maxi. Great for fat knee days. there's loads of cheap ones on ebay actually, I got a midi length one off there last year which was really pretty.

Do you think it's acceptable to do leggings under dresses if its bloody freezing out? I mean shorter dresses, obviously, not long ones, I'm not insane. grin

carriedababi Sun 29-May-11 21:40:06

yes i think that looks good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: