Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What skincare for 40-something?

(15 Posts)
TheHouseofMirth Sat 28-May-11 15:35:25

Can anyone recommend a good (and preferably cheap) moisuriser for my 41 year old face? My skin tends to be dry and I've got no wrinkles but my face is definitely losing t's tone (though I guess a mere moisturiser ain't going to sort that out for me) and my skin is rather dull.

I have no idea what I should be looking for or what really . Please help!

strawberryjelly Sat 28-May-11 15:40:54

Olay gets good reviews-or Boots No 7.

You really ought to use something with a high spf of 20+ too as most ageing is down to UV rays.

TheHouseofMirth Sat 28-May-11 15:55:55

or what really works duh!

I do use a tinted moisuriser with that spf but surely the damage would have been done in the previous 30+ years when I didn't?

cyb Sat 28-May-11 15:58:00

Do you exfoliate

You should, good for making ropey skin look pink again

strawberryjelly Sat 28-May-11 16:56:31

Yes, but damage occurs every day even on cloudy days so if you don't use an SPF your skin will age faster.

Do you cleanse, exfoliate, eat plenty Omega 3, drink water and avoid lots of alcohol? What you put on your face is just part of it- you also need to think about diet and exercise.

TheHouseofMirth Sat 28-May-11 22:39:45

I do exfoliate but don't cleanse. I do drink some water, (though drink more tea) and not much alcohol but also I don't get much sleep - haven't had a decent night's sleep for about 6 years.

cornsilks Sat 28-May-11 22:40:59

delcleor is good - can find it cheap(er) on some sites
Dr Organic from Holland and Barratt is supposed to be good but haven't tried it yet

bettysbeauty Sun 29-May-11 00:02:01

Avon do a Day Renewal Cream SPF25 UVA+UVB aimed at 40+ for £15.50 they also do a clenser and have an eye system again aimed at 40+

The blurb in the mag says "In 3 days 73% said their skin felt and looked reborn"

Page 114 www.e-pages.dk/uk_avon/293/

applechutney Sun 29-May-11 01:04:17

I have found Boots 'Protect and Perfect' to be excellent. I'm 45, and my skin is definitely 'dewier' in the mornings since I started using it.

MrsDaiBreadTwo Sun 29-May-11 04:15:50

Another vote for Liz Earle. I use it and so does my teenager. I love the Cleanse & Polish and the toner is wonderful.

Kewcumber Sun 29-May-11 08:45:17

Liz Earle here too, normal in the summer and dry in the winter and cleanse and polish to cleanse and body wash for bosy as its the only wash/soap I can find that doesn;t dry my legs out horrifically.

strawberryjelly Sun 29-May-11 09:23:01

You can get the liz earle effect by using any old cleanser and a muslin cloth. It's not the cleanser that is magic- it's the exfoliation you get when you use the cloth.

Kewcumber Sun 29-May-11 12:41:27

yes I use a flannel/cloth with anything I wash my face with confused but can't get away from the fact that most other cleanser dry my face out or leave my sking feeling a bit slimey, C&P doesn't. I alternate with warm oil method so am not an advocate of brands (IYSWIM) and LE body wash is the one thing I always regret switching from as I occasionally switch to cheaper washes and remember why I pay the extra for it.

FranklinSquare Mon 30-May-11 14:41:36

Neal'sYard Frankinsense moisturiser is the best I've ever tried.

The Liz Earle stuff is way too harsh for my skin - made me look like I'd been at myself with a brillo pad.

Recently I've been washing my face with Dove and using Protect and Perfect, it's pretty good, especially the serum, but the moisturiser isn't as good as NY.

strawberryjelly Mon 30-May-11 16:11:45

I got a free sample of C&P and hated it TBH. It is really thick and you have to pull at your skin to remove it.

I use a cheapo Loreal cleansing lotion for mature skin and it's great. i remove it with either a muslin cloth or cotton wool, then cotton wool and warm water.

I spend a lot more on my moisturisers- Clinique Super Defence or Youth Surge- both £40 ish- and REN frankinsence night cream.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: