Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How can I 'dress' my legs in summer??

(11 Posts)
PollFlanders Fri 27-May-11 17:47:17

Right, so the problems are I have chunky calves (thighs even worse but easier to cover) and am horridly hairy so whatever hair removal I use they always look rubbish. I get hot very easily (losing weight made no difference to that, blast). Easy to dress in winter, opaque tights, done and dusted. And I do like wearing dresses, they suit me. What can I wear in summer that is reasonably smart? Not City Law Firm smart but better than linen trousers/maxi dress(often rather 'booby' I find) or jeans? Any suggestions?

TheOriginalFAB Fri 27-May-11 17:50:04

I am similar in that I have fat calves and really want to wear dresses but I think I look awful.

dexter73 Fri 27-May-11 18:01:15

I bet no-one even notices your calves. I can't say that I look at anyones!

HouseOfBamboo Fri 27-May-11 18:29:51

Mine are similar I think.

Waxing has to be the best option, esp in summer. Follow with as much natural tanning as you can muster the energy for - otherwise avoid the stinky fake tan and go straight for those new make-up type ones.

Nice long swingy skirt to just above ankle is good I find. And a nice chunky pair of sandals with a slight heel.

HugoFirst Fri 27-May-11 18:30:17

a frill maybe?

HouseOfBamboo Fri 27-May-11 18:31:11

ps - I'm not a style guru. The clothes I have described are probably horribly unfashionable. I'm just very experienced in having Legs That Must Be Hidden.

PollFlanders Fri 27-May-11 19:45:51

HugoFirst, ha, yes, a 2 foot frill.

I know I need to assume a 'nobody else is looking and they don't care anyway' attitude. But I can see them and they look flippin' ugly. Mind, if it rains all summer again it won't be too much of a problem (secretly hopes this is the case).

PollFlanders Fri 27-May-11 19:53:59

Just realised I now sound like I have a major body-image problem and need counselling to leave the house. It's not quite that bad.

MilliONaire Sat 28-May-11 00:20:56

PollFlanders,
I too have 'leg issues' in summer! I am very pale, never, ever get a natural tan, and I develped a hale and hearty varicous vain on the back of one calf during pregancy - over all - not good!

I have discovered that fine leggings or footless tights are my friends during summer! I can now wear all the short dresses & skirts I desire & the majority of my legs are hidden from view. I often wear them in navy or grey so not as harsh as black and they look good with my summer wardrobe, at least I have had compliments!

With a very light top (or just a summer dress) and open toe sandals (using fale tan on the legs and feet & painted toenails & pedicure) I can now at last face summer again!!! And it is not as hot (temperature wise) as you would think! It is very hot in every other way wink

wideawakenurse Sat 28-May-11 09:21:59

Have a look at some capri pants, like these. They can look pretty smart with a low heel.

Although agree with Dexter that no one really looks at calves!

PollFlanders Sat 28-May-11 12:00:17

Thankee for the ideas ladies.

Wideawakenurse, capri indeed v smart and great on some people. But my appendages need a mahoosive flare to balance out the enormous tree trunk at the top.

MilliONaire, yes I like that idea. Have always assumed it would be too hot. Doesn't help for work though does it, if it's not that sort of place?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: