Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Eye lid primers - any good?

(13 Posts)
Finbar Fri 27-May-11 17:03:11

or just another way to waste money?
i have seen a Clinique one called Touch Base for eyes, plus one by NARS and I'm sure others do them too.
I have eyelids that are getting a little old and a bit crepey ( there, I've said it) and I thought these might be the way forward.
So what would you recommend?

TattyDevine Fri 27-May-11 17:08:22

The ones I've found that work for keeping things where they should be are cakey so substitute one problem for another.

For crepey eyelids, you might want one of the filly/slippy/siliconey ones, GOSH do one (Superdrug) for eyes, I tested it on my hand yesterday.

I think its quite important mainly to find the right eyeshadow for aging eyelids - no chalky mattes, no sparkly irridecents. Demi-matte all the way.

Most reputable makeup counters will happily give you a little sample - some have their own little pots others dont and they often run out so if you bring your own little pot and ask for a squeeze of the product you should be able to trial it without having to invest.

Finbar Fri 27-May-11 17:10:42

ooh tell me about demi-matte eyeshadows ! who makes them?

FreeButtonBee Fri 27-May-11 17:11:05

Yes! Urban Decay one is amazing. No caking. Still on the morning after!

Finbar Fri 27-May-11 17:12:20

FFB - is that an Urban Decay primer or a demi matte eyeshadow?

Gingefringe Fri 27-May-11 17:14:43

I second the Urban Decay primer - absolutely amazing. Great value for money (about £12 I think) They also do a fabulous range of matte and pearly eyeshadows.

FreeButtonBee Fri 27-May-11 17:25:20

As Ginge says, it's a primer.

I also love their eyeshadows but they are quite iridiscent (sp?). I am 31 so can get away with them for a bit longer (I hope!). My fav eyeshadow is Sin and they now do a tinted version of the primer in that colour which I will buy when this primer runs out.

TattyDevine Fri 27-May-11 19:28:31

Demi matte - Becca, Laura Mercier...

Actually lots of eyeshadows will be demi matte, they might not "say so" on the packaging. So if you went to Mac, and asked the pretty ladies which ones are demi matte they'd be able to say.

Same with your Revlon's and Rimmels and all that malarky.

Don't know what your colouring is but my new favourite eyeshadow is called "Where there's smoke" by Benefit. This is a demi matte, pretty much - its not sparkly but its not chalky. Its not so dark you have to do any blending but its dark enough to do something, and its no particular colour, neither grey nor brown nor green...just smokey.

Its reviewed here

But re eyeshadow, if you smear them on your hand and they are neither chalky or sparkly, they are probably demi...

valiumredhead Sat 28-May-11 13:51:10

I use the Bare Essencuals concealor in Bisque as a primer - brilliant!

strawberryjelly Sat 28-May-11 14:38:08

I have the Clinique one and I don't like it. it dries up in the container easily and even though I got the non glittery one it still seems to have a slight pearly effect.

it might make eyeshadows last a bit longer but I am not impressed.

strawberryjelly Sat 28-May-11 14:41:23

I have quite old eyelids and like Dior eye shadow- got the 5 shadow palette, in Igconito(sp) which is nudes/grey. They have a hint of lustre but are almost matte and last all day- I have walked 6 miles in wind and rain and they stay put. They cost £35 which seemed madness but have lasted over a year.

MooMinCow Sat 28-May-11 15:20:08

yes urban decay primer is fab. MAC do eyeshadow in loads of textures/finishes. i like their 'satin' finish ones which are semi matt/low sheen. there are some lovely neutrals like Shroom, Era, Print, Shale as well as some more vibrant shades. I prefer their counters and staff as they are all professional make up artists so are v knowledgable and give good advice. (do go mid week or at a quiet time - Saturdays they have nightmare queues!)

HugoFirst Sat 28-May-11 15:21:12

i have the clinique one finny

you can have

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: