Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Why do clothes shops sell some garments in randomly absurd lengths

(5 Posts)
Ormirian Fri 27-May-11 14:56:42

for no particular reason?

I am tall. I have trouble getting anything long enough. Even in the 'tall' ranges. But every now and again I come across something, not marked as 'tall' or 'extra long' that is so absurdly long that I almost trip over it when I am wearing it. Dress from Gap last weekend - v nice (v cheap as everything was 50% off). When I took it into the changing room there were loads of the same dresses discarded all over the place. When I tried it on I could see why - right down to the floor even on me. Over the years I have experienced this a few times - I have a French connection dress that was the same and a wrap skirt from Monsoon.

What do you do if you are small? Do you just avoid? Do you cut a bit off? Why does this happen? Is it just a mistake? Does the fabric cutting machine blow a fuse? Is it a secret conspiracy by tall women?

headfairy Fri 27-May-11 14:58:57

seeing as most clothes these days are made in China, a country not known for it's tall folk, I reckon it's a dig at us westerners... "Oh so you think you're so tall do you, well take that string bean!"

MadreInglese Fri 27-May-11 15:00:41

it's a gaslighting conspiracy to make us all think we're shrinking

Ormirian Fri 27-May-11 15:00:51

LOL headfairy grin Could be.

Ooopsadaisy Fri 27-May-11 15:04:15

Most things are too long for me as I am a small person, but not quite small enough for petite lengths. (5 foot 4 and a size 8 trousers and 10 top).

My personal hell is tops.

If my shoulders are here - then my tits are here. Do not cut the neckline down to my waist. My bra is not that attractive that I want everyone to see it.

I feel your frustrations, but in a different way, OP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: