Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Any tips for rather flat lifeless hair??

(14 Posts)
frazzle26 Thu 26-May-11 14:57:54

I have shoulder length hair but it always seems quite flat and lifeless. Any good tips as to how to give it some body??

cyb Thu 26-May-11 15:00:52

BABYLISS BIG HAIR <tosses huge mane>

ageingdisgracefully Thu 26-May-11 18:33:09

Hve you tried highlights? Bleached ones make the hairs thicker, and add body (and damage!). Heard good things about Babyliss Big Hair, and drying hair upside down is also a good idea.

Also - try beer to rinse, and maybe consider a light perm? Or a perm done on just the roots?

ggirl Thu 26-May-11 19:32:28

I use ojon thickening/volumizing mousse i got mine in JL
Bloody amazing stuff and well worht the money. Don't over do it though as it really does thicken.

stelli Thu 26-May-11 19:43:10

i've a shoulder length hairs but they r lifeless, how can i make them strong n healthy?

teahouse Thu 26-May-11 20:03:34

what or where is JL ggirl? Think that stuff might help me too ;o)

monkeysmama Thu 26-May-11 20:11:33

John Lewis. I like Ojon. The Bumble and Bumble thickening stuff is good too. The blow dry sorry used with a babylis big hair is very good.

monkeysmama Thu 26-May-11 20:12:31

I also like Batiste - the dry shampoo stuff. I often spray it on the roots after I've blow dried to give it extra body.

chipstick10 Thu 26-May-11 20:30:17

philip kingsley products, brill.

petaluma Thu 26-May-11 20:40:07

I have lots of long but lifeless hair too - the only thing that REALLY works if I can be bothered with the effort is...

- dry my hair with a bit of thickening spray in (John Frieda one v good) til it's bone dry.
- tip head to one side as if almost upside down and spray lots of Elnett hairspray on that exposed side, blow dry whilst brushing with a paddle brush, leave a few seconds for hair to cool
- repeat with other side, and then tip head forward and do the same by spraying the back section of your hair etc.
- once hair cooled a bit, tip your head back to normal and gently brush the hair down a bit (as it will probably look rather wild) then ruffle your hair al over and lightly spray with more Elnett.

The above is not great for your hair to do it every single day though but I find even just spraying Elnett into half dried hair, brushing it through and then leaving it to dry naturally, whilst ruffling it upside down a few times as it is drying, has the same sort of effect.

olderandwider Thu 26-May-11 21:19:40

Hulloooo pet. Cheryl yere. If yez wantin' big boold hair the canny think ta do is use looodzalacquer so you get this sorta iffect: [[ ishttp://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://themamaswan.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/big_hair.jpg&imgrefurl=http://themamaswan.wordpress.com/&h=318&w=256&sz=16&tbnid=dEVztU5eEclZZM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=95&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dvery%2Bbig%2Bhair%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=very+big+hair&hl=en&usg=__C3DN5M1b0i42LBldEzc5IDAI-jw=&sa=X&ei=tbTeTaq1I8_Lswbk5Lm2BQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQ9QEwAQ looovely,eh?]]

Sorry, couldn't resist grin

olderandwider Thu 26-May-11 21:21:48

linky no worky. here

PollFlanders Fri 27-May-11 19:59:45

Second Philip Kingsley

frazzle26 Wed 01-Jun-11 17:22:12

Ha ha olderandwider!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: