Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

holister yes or no for a 13 year old boy

(23 Posts)
wheredidyoulastseeit Wed 25-May-11 12:42:20

He has no interest in clothes but a massive growth spurt has rendered him in need of new summer stuff, any recommendations of cheap and medium priced stuff, gap is definitely off the list.

ConnorTraceptive Wed 25-May-11 12:43:23

I would not call Hollister cheap or medium priced tbh. It is very popular with teens though aslong as you can tolerate the shopping experience.

Butterbur Wed 25-May-11 12:49:36

Hollister is just same old same old - run of the mill hoodies and T shirts at astronomical prices. It is part of the Abercrombie and Fitch group, which also has some dodgy employment practices - I'm not sure how ALL the sullen staff on the shop floor can be size 6, aged 18 and beautiful, without contravening every equal opportunities law.

Pull and Bear is also very popular round here, although shops are hard to find, and they don't sell online.

LadyWithNoManors Wed 25-May-11 12:52:29

I would also say that Hollister is on the expensive side too though i suppose it depends on your budget.
Why is Gap off the list?

smartyparts Wed 25-May-11 12:55:26

My ds has just turned 13.He likes Hollister, A&F and Jack Wills mostly.

Out of the 3, JW is the easiest shopping experience ime

wheredidyoulastseeit Wed 25-May-11 12:58:11

Well I could buy one top from Hollister, preferably from the sale rail, to boost his *non existent* street cred, which would be worth the investment if it works. oh yes I've bought into the image.

Not GAP because it stands for Gay And Proud, I don't have a problem with that nor does my lesbian daughter but there it is.

JetJungle Wed 25-May-11 13:06:21

My 13-year-old loves Hollister, but it is pricey.

My advice: keep stumbling though the darkness of the store until you reach very back bit. Here there is lots of stuff on sale.

There were T-shirts for £10 and lovely hoodies for around £15, when I was last there. Good luck trying to find sizes though .....

Why can't they just have proper shop lighting? shows her age

smartyparts Wed 25-May-11 13:07:12

I didn't know that re Gap! My ds has about 5 t-shirts with GAP on the front. I won't be telling him that...

rey Wed 25-May-11 13:14:05

just been googling and the prices are enough to make your eyes water! I now have to work out how I can afford the next few years if my poor kids into "it's the label" thing and not "it looks good on you".

wheredidyoulastseeit Wed 25-May-11 13:43:01

He was totally happy in GAP until until a year 7 mufti day when some wag pointed out the acronym. I'm sure it does'nt really mean that.

MarisCrane Wed 25-May-11 13:45:38

It's completely false www.snopes.com/business/names/gap.asp

beachyhead Wed 25-May-11 13:48:33

H&M does good Hollister ish clothes that satisfy my 11 year old and my 14 yr dd approves.....Try Johnnie B. the small sizes are often available in the sale

Merrylegs Wed 25-May-11 13:48:57

My 13 year old DS wears Hollister, some superdry, JW and Republic.

Claw your way to the very back of Hollister (in ours you turn left for 'dudes' and right for 'bettys' <boak>) and there is a 'sale' rail - cotton shirts are currently £24 and there are loads of t-shirts for a tenner.

Alternatively do you have a Republic near you? Much cheaper, v 'street' and there is actual lighting in the shop with actual prices you can read on the labels.

Good luck!

LadyWithNoManors Fri 27-May-11 11:54:25

Gay and Proud ??
People don't actually believe that do they? The mind boggles!

seeker Fri 27-May-11 11:58:07

OH, FFS!

And on what planet is Hollister "cheap or medium priced"????????

TobyLerone Fri 27-May-11 11:59:34

Not GAP because it stands for Gay And Proud

What the actual fuck?

Butterbur Fri 27-May-11 12:32:23

If the kids decide GAP stands for Gay and Proud, then that's what it stands for, in their minds. And anyone who wears anything blazoned with it is going to be ridiculed unmercifully. Sadly.

BiggerAndBadder Fri 27-May-11 12:33:47

Hollister, H and M, Republic, Pull and Bear

wheredidyoulastseeit Fri 27-May-11 22:05:10

I didn't say Hollister was cheap, i was looking for suggestions. and yes if someone in the playground says GAP stands for Gay and Proud that is what it stands for, whatever the facts are.

waxlyrical Fri 27-May-11 22:22:44

my children wont wear gap for the same reason and also have Mufti days - I wonder if we are from the same area & its a regional thing?

ggirl Fri 27-May-11 22:25:54

tk maxx quite good for teen stuff

BabyReindeer Fri 27-May-11 22:38:36

DS2 (16) and his friends fortunately think the Jack Wills/Abercrombie/Hollister clones are a bit sad - spending all that money just to look the same. They tend to buy vintage for jackets and coats and from individual shops for shirts etc. Neither of my sons would wear GAP after they were about 9 because of the "Gay and Proud" thing.

cheapskatemum Fri 27-May-11 22:39:06

Primark "Slimfit" jeans are great, DSs 3 & 4 (aged 13 & 16) are happy to wear them with Ted Baker, Jack Wills etc T shirts. GAP has meant that for so many years in this household they're now blase about it & will wear the brand again, but they prefer designer labels - TK Maxx a good source for these.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: