Talk

Advanced search

Hair Straighteners for my daughter

(19 Posts)
doglover Tue 24-May-11 18:21:22

My 12 year old daughter has the most gorgeous auburn hair - she loves the colour - but hates it's bushiness. It's thick and wavy (not frizzy at all) but she's getting really stressy about coping with it. I'm clueless about things like this but really want to offer her some sound advice. Would hair straighteners make her hair less bushy? What type / make / model would you recommend? She's sitting here in tears and I feel really helpless ............. I said that you clever lot would come to our rescue!! Many thanks.

emsyj Tue 24-May-11 18:23:23

Might it benefit from a good cut, perhaps a hairdresser could make it more manageable with layers or something????

<I am not a hairdresser, just an idea>

doglover Tue 24-May-11 18:27:15

Thanks, Emsyj. She had layers put in last year which has helped somewhat but it is still quite 'big'!!

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 24-May-11 18:28:26

Go for GHDs. I bought my daughter some cheaper ones which broke very quiclky. She has had the ghdS for years. But agree, a good cut would help - maybe worth paying a good salon for the first cut to get the basic style right.

emsyj Tue 24-May-11 18:29:41

If all else fails, move to the north west - it's bigger is better round here where hair is concerned!!!!!

But yes, GHDs are the best. Not cheap tho.

doglover Tue 24-May-11 19:29:08

I told you I was clueless -are GHDs hair straighteners?!!

doglover Tue 24-May-11 20:00:11

Gosh, just googled them - wow! Expensive! Are they really worth the money?

cookcleanerchaufferetc Tue 24-May-11 20:30:40

Oh yes!

daimbardiva Tue 24-May-11 20:33:47

GHDs are definitely worth the money - I went through countless cheaper straighteners before shelling out 6 years ago on GHDs. They are fab, and are still going strong!

That said, 6 years is a long time, and maybe cheaper versions have come on a bit, but I'd still say GHDs are a good investment.

ChrissyHynde Tue 24-May-11 20:34:34

My DD now 12 was the same. First off all get her a good cut. My DD wanted length and her hairdresser now cuts into the hair underneath the straight / long hair - this reuces the bulk dramatically. She has recently started to put some more visible layers on the top which again is reducing teh bulk. As for straighteners getting GHD's is worth it. 3/4 of an hours pain every morning is now reduced to 10 mins although a lot of that is probably due to the good cut.

doglover Tue 24-May-11 20:35:44

Gulp! Right, I'll investigate best places to purchase from. I really appreciate your guidance.

ChrissyHynde Tue 24-May-11 20:35:54

GHD's off ebay at xmas was £60 so your talking birthday or xmas presents

HmmmIwonder Tue 24-May-11 21:08:18

are GHDs worth it if you have straight hair that isn't particularly thick? Sorry to jump into someone else's thread but i've just started a thread asking for advice on straighteners too!!

Naetha Tue 24-May-11 21:11:55

GHDs and a regular haircut - layers put in last year will have grown out by now. Also ask them to thin the hair as well using special scissors - it takes loads of weight out of it.

ladysybil Tue 24-May-11 21:22:33

GHD's are the only straighteners i would recommend. However, my friend has very wispy hair, and not much of it, and she does perfectly well with her cheap twelve poundones bought seven years ago. I have long thick asian hair, and lots and lots of it, and have the extra wide ghds, not just the standard width ones. worth every penny to me.

try her with something cheaper first, because ghd's are an investment. You wouldnt buy a 17 year old a brand new flash car, so why the best straighteners if she is only going to use them three times before deciding she cant be btohered.

The3Bears Wed 25-May-11 09:10:38

GHDS or Cloud Nine ones which are made from the same people who made the old GHDS think theyre slightly cheaper.
My GHD's broke a few months back and for the time being I purchased some Lee stafford pink ones from boots and imo they are just as good they were £40. I know everyone says GHDs last longer but I have had GHD's for about 10 years now since they first came out and gone through about 5 pairs so I honestly dont think they do. Although I still want some new ones for xmas smile blush
They are slightly cheaper at asos (with codes) and feel unique and I think you may find codes for there have fun shopping smile

confuseddotcodotuk Wed 25-May-11 11:28:04

I have really thick hair and it wasn't until recently that I discovered having your hair thinned out as. I get mine thinned out a lot and it changes the shape so much, makes it much easier to handle and is straighter without using straighteners. You do need to get this quite regularily though but if you find a hairdressing student they'll happily do this for you for £5-10 a go and then every 3-6 months a fully qualified hairdresser will style it. I pay my student £10 a go, but she's in the middle of her NVQ3 and is fantastic smile She was good earlier on whilst studying for her other levels too, a natural at it smile

I picked up a cheapish pair of Nicky Clarke straighteners in a sale (around £20-30 half price) and they work well enough, but I don't use them very often! I believe that if you plan to use them regularily then getting more expensive ones seems like a good investment.

messylittlemonkey Wed 25-May-11 14:22:39

Cloud Nines are the new GHD according to my hairdresser.

doglover Wed 01-Jun-11 14:55:20

Just a quick update! A hairdresser-friend came round this morning to show us how to use the GHDs properly and styled my dd hair. She was absolutely delighted with her new look! Many thanks for all your advice, ladies. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now