Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Faced with the WHOLE of Duty Free, my husband brought me a present of...

(28 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Tue 24-May-11 15:11:25

Some Clarins factor 50 sun protection cream and some Clarins body lotion that smells a bit of aftershave.

confused

It was very nice of him to bring me a present. But, really? Sun tan cream? And lotion? What is lotion actually for anyway? I've never been able to decide.

I know it was expensive because he's said it's not for the children. Is is particularly special then? Maybe you Stylee ladies can explain why it's any better than the enormous bottle of Soltan we have in the bathroom.

[disclaimer: of course I made all the right noises and he is delighted that I am thrilled with my present smile]

<dreams of earrings or makeup or an enormous Toblerone>

Aworryingtrend Tue 24-May-11 15:40:41

Body lotion is the same as moisturiser, no?

Whack it on Ebay quick before you unwrap it and make a profit, spend the money on yourself.

What a shame you are 'allergic' to Clarins' stuff, eh?

smartyparts Tue 24-May-11 15:46:23

I'd have been very pleased with that!

My dh also raids the Clarins counter when on business trips. He recently bought me the aftersun, and it's gorgeous!

But then, I would never go near Soltan grin!

ClaireDeLoon Tue 24-May-11 15:58:36

I would also have been pleased with that, Clarins sun range is great.

I thought you were going to say a stuffed toy or something!

allhailtheaubergine Tue 24-May-11 16:28:43

Smartypants - why? Why would you never go near Soltan?

Gingefringe Tue 24-May-11 18:56:16

I'd be very pleased with the Clarins stuff actually. The sun cream is excellent and I suspect the body lotion is Eau Dynamisante? - this is really gorgeous and makes your skin smell lovely all day. Give it a try.

I'd share your disappointment at the lack of toblerone though!!

sparkle1977 Tue 24-May-11 21:50:09

I'd be miffed with that gift too to be honest! the body lotion i could understand but sun cream ? no, not impressed, no matter how much it cost its still just sun cream.

what happened to some nice perfume or an attempt at nail varnish or something ?

PandaEis Tue 24-May-11 21:56:25

i would have liked that gift TBHsmile
its way better than my DHs gift of a regular nothing...and a top up of nothing on special occasionshmm that may be another thread thoughgrin
when my DH was working away he brought me back a bag of dirty socks and undies...oh how i swoon over my prezzieshmm
i think i would drop dead on the spot if my DH even knew where the clarins counter was...anywhere...

i second the allergy to the clarins body stuff if you really dont like it thoughsmile you would fetch a fair price on ebay i thinksmile

Blackcoffeeandcigarettes Tue 24-May-11 22:01:53

Ok so the Clarins sun tan has the patented "umbrella complex" in it. It means every cell is protected and you get the most amazing tan! The eau dynamisante has envigorating essential oils that make you feel up lifted. Lovely

Jonnyfan Tue 24-May-11 23:15:03

I got a twin pack of "Touche Eclat" from DH once, thought he might be hinting..

marilynwhirlwind Tue 24-May-11 23:23:46

My DH once bought me Clarins cellulite gel in the duty free, it even had in the blurb words to the effect of 'as a woman gets older'!! In his defence, he had been 'guided towards it by the saleslady so I think it was her little joke.

smartyparts Wed 25-May-11 00:05:09

allhailtheaubergine Soltan gives me prickly heat.

ChippingIn Wed 25-May-11 00:48:37

I love the Clarins sun cream for the face, so would like to try that one (can't afford it!) and the lotion would be nice to try, but I like Clarins - their hand lotion is the only one I ever use - it's lovely and non greasy.

I can see why you aren't finding it very exciting though! smile Maybe try some less than subtle hints next time!!

ChippingIn Wed 25-May-11 00:49:24

Marilyn - do you think she fancied him and was hoping his wife would chuck his sorry arse out ?? grin

allhailtheaubergine Wed 25-May-11 04:47:42

I promise I'm not miffed.

I am absolutely delighted that my lovely husband stumbled confusedly up to the Clarins counter and Bought Me A Present. It was thoughtful of him, and WAY out of his comfort zone.

I just had to confused grin at his (to my mind) odd choices.

MarisCrane Wed 25-May-11 05:25:24

I was convinced this was going to be about massive Chupa Chups.
Now there's a euphemism if ever I heard one.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 25-May-11 05:55:50

It was a good attempt but sounds like not your kind of thing. I would be bemused at that as a present too.

Can you get away with telling him it was very thoughtful but it's not your thing really? DH would understand that, and also the desire for toblerone.

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 25-May-11 07:13:35

My dad is similarly infuriating. The perfumes myself and my mother wear are written on the inside of his eyelids. However, when faced with the duty free perfume display he buys random ones because he liked the bottle and we should try something new. hmm I'm grateful but would love to shake him at the same time!

Enjoy your body lotion smile

idratherbeboarding Wed 25-May-11 08:31:54

Count yourself lucky, my DP brought back Clarins cellulite cream from his last trip.

TragicallyHip Wed 25-May-11 08:38:07

The sun cream I don't get confused but the body lotion I would be happy with! Well although maybe not if it smells like aftershave!

Use the body lotion after a shower, it will make your skin feel lovely and soft smile

TrillianAstra Wed 25-May-11 08:39:58

Better than a giant toblerone.

DP didn't get me anything when he went away with work recently. Or if he did he's saving it for my birthday.

porcamiseria Wed 25-May-11 08:47:24

I would love those gifts! clarins sun tan cream is great as it does not block the pores, and i assume its eau dynamisante cream, love it

i'd be pissed off with a shitty toblerone!

wendihouse22 Wed 25-May-11 09:36:02

If it's the Eau Dynamissante....this man is a class act. Feels very different to any other body lotion you will use and the fragrance is gorgeous. I'm still using mine five months on, from Xmas. Use sparingly.

Clarins vs Soltan? I know which I'd rather have (if I could afford it). Have a look at the yellowy residue you CANNOT wash out of your clothing (Soltan) and then check out the Clarins..... It's all good stuff.

Jajas Wed 25-May-11 09:40:39

God Soltan is revolting - I would be over the moon with anything from Clarins (except perhaps the cellulite remover - what a load of old tosh that sounds to be!).

wendihouse22 Fri 27-May-11 11:08:49

Ooooh! My DH, returned from business trip to Atlanta this morning. Doesn't usually bring me gifts (at my request) from duty free but, has brought me an iPad. Love him! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: