Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Your view of fashion faux pas...For example, i would never.....

(219 Posts)
TheGoddessBlossom Tue 24-May-11 08:23:26

....ever:

wear open toed shoes with tights

wear navy blue with black

Wear a denim jacket with jeans, even if the denims were different colours

show my midriff (am 36 - too old for such things) - apart from in bikini on hols

go bare legged to the office

Ooopsadaisy Tue 24-May-11 08:27:01

Wear an ill-fitting bra. Now I know the difference I will never go back!

Agree with the 2-denim look - nasty.

Also agree with the midriff thing. I don't wear bikinis anymore - just doesn't feel right and I am very slim and toned.

prolificwillybreeder Tue 24-May-11 08:41:33

Agree with all the above.

Bonsoir Tue 24-May-11 08:44:43

Open-toed shoes with socks has been über fashionable of late
Nothing wrong with navy and black
Total denim comes and goes as a look and can look great
I showed my midriff at 40 - it was fine
Bare-legged in the office is de rigueur in France

I don't think rules are very clear cut...

Bucharest Tue 24-May-11 08:47:20

Men in pastel coloured trousers is de rigueur here. Looks like they are auditioning for a job on cbeebies. Have told dp I'm packing if he ever dares bring a pastel pantaloon into my house.

Bonsoir, I want you for something, I shall PM forthwith!

BelovedCunt Tue 24-May-11 08:50:08

waterfall cardigans

why not go bare legged into the office?

TrillianAstra Tue 24-May-11 09:02:25

If you aren't bare-legged in the office does that mean you are wearing American Tan tights?

In my office the men are often bare-legged in the summer. What do you make of that?

charitygirl Tue 24-May-11 09:06:47

Wear cowboy boots. VILE.

Navy and black is a fabulous combo, provided neither are faded.

DilysPrice Tue 24-May-11 09:16:17

Does the navy and black thing mean you'd never wear a black top with dark jeans? Actually I think that that's one of those shibboleths that fabulously fashionable people can break but civilians are best adhering to.

I used to be strict about bare legs in the office but now I think it depends on the length of the skirt - if it's past your knees then bare legs are fine, but I agree that naked knees are a questionable office look (though there are some very smartly dressed women in my office who do flash their knees in summer, maybe they just have better legs than me).

52Girls Tue 24-May-11 09:17:37

Navy & black is fine. As are bare legs in the office.

TragicallyHip Tue 24-May-11 09:25:06

Agree with Bonsoir

Don't understand why you wouldn't go bare legged at the office confused how hot would that be in summer!

higgle Tue 24-May-11 09:30:01

OP if you were not bare legged in the office and won't wear tights with open toed shoes are you not going to be very hot in closed toed shoes and tights or stockings on a hot day? The M&S open toed tights are a solution I use for conferences and other formal occasions.

higgle Tue 24-May-11 09:31:59

Now my own pet hate is the older lady who insists on wearing a stack of gold jewellry of the more formal kind - including fists full of deceased relations engagement and eternity rings.

niminypiminy Tue 24-May-11 09:32:19

Tights with peep toes has been fashionable for ages. Only yesterday in fact I wore a pair of petrol blue tights with some powder blue wedge sandals and a denim pencil skirt.

The navy and black thing is one of those rules like 'blue and green should never be seen' which are just made to be broken.

Double denim was very in last year -- now it's a no no again but it does come and go. In the right circs, why not?

Personally something I would never do is show a lot of flesh. I just think it looks common. Even on the beach -- I don't really like bikinis and have never worn one.

smartyparts Tue 24-May-11 09:37:37

Not go bare legged to the office? hmm What is this, 1940?

I do this all the time. There is no way I'd wear tights in the summer.

My pet hate is sleeveless tops on women with big fat ham arms.

mosschops30 Tue 24-May-11 09:40:57

I would never wear a playsuit (too old now am 35)
I would never wear leggings without a long top
I would never wear leisure wear unless goibg to the gym
I would never ever not wear a bra

BulletWithAName Tue 24-May-11 09:43:20

Ugg Boots
Second the wearing of sleeveless tops with dinner lady arms
Double denim- no no NO
Clarks shoes- no matter how hard they try and make them look fashionable, they're still VILE

AlpinePony Tue 24-May-11 09:44:27

Blue and green together are fine. Assuming that those colours come from your fabric and not the shade of your skin.

BulletWithAName Tue 24-May-11 09:46:23

Another one I saw loads of yesterday- t-shirts that aren't long enough to cover a gut, so you have belly overhang showing. There's no need for it!

Lovecat Tue 24-May-11 09:47:56

Leggings with a waist-length top. Even if you're Agyness Deyn, it's not a good look.

Navy and black look fine together and bare legs in the office I don't see the problem with. Similarly tights and contrasting (usually paler) peep toe shoes are rather trendy...

BulletWithAName Tue 24-May-11 09:48:54

Tights and peep-toed shoes together are fine.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 24-May-11 09:49:59

Men over 35 in football shirts - unless they are still playing football.

I know it's a bit petty but I just think uuuuurrrrgh.

SummerRain Tue 24-May-11 09:50:35

I would never wear trackies out of the house
I'd never wear pastels... they just don't suit me
I'd never wear yellow gold jewelery
I wouldn't be caught dead in harem pants or a cat suit
I wouldn't wear calf length skirts, full length or knee length but calf length just makes legs look terrible.

niminypiminy Tue 24-May-11 09:55:47

Oh yes sleeveless tops with dinner lady arms -- I have those arms, alas. And where, where, where are summer dresses with sleeves on the high street?

AlpinePony grin

BunnyLebowski Tue 24-May-11 09:57:58

I hate and would never wear anything that is to my eyes ubiquitous 'fashion victim-y' garb i.e. stuff everyone is wearing but will look back on in 10 years time and think 'How ridiculous did I look?'.

So..... <deep breath>

Harem pants
Playsuits
Those hideous tapered chinos that make even size 8 dolly-birds look like they've got an arse like Hevva off Eastenders.
Maxi dresses
Strapless dresses esp wedding dresses
Those minging brogues that are around at the moment

And then there's just the downright ugly

Crocs
Uggs
Leggings <boke>
Gladiator sandals

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: