Talk

Advanced search

Could someone please advise me about this dress?

(20 Posts)
nannycheechee Mon 23-May-11 16:39:00

I've just bought this dress which I love because it totally disguises my problem stomach. I'm worried it kind of highlights my top heaviness though but never mind. How could I accessorise it for a September wedding? Or do you think it's too dark for that? Thanks.

worldgonecrazy Mon 23-May-11 16:45:22

Distract from boobs with a great necklace, you can probably go quite big/chunky. Get a fab clutch bag to distract from waist/hips too.
I don't like the shoes the model is wearing, I think a classic evening shoe would be better.

BunnyLebowski Mon 23-May-11 16:48:49

Ooh I love that dress - very very pretty! I don't think it would emphasise your top-heaviness at all as the cinched in waist and then flared skirt would balance you out giving quite a 50's silhouette? Looks super flattering in fact.

Agree with worldgonecrazy re: shoes. You could go for any number of colours with the dress being navy.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 23-May-11 16:51:42

I have that dress in the brown colour, do you have the navy OP, I am actually wearing mine today!

I wear mine with a belt to cynch in the waist a bit, I don't have a problem with being top heavy though, more the opposite. But I think a belt could make you look more hour glass...

I wear this belt in antique pink with mine.

www.jigsaw-online.com/fashion/1001267/J13482/accessories/belts/silk-knot-cornelli-belt

I agree that those shoes don't do anything for it.

woopsidaisy Mon 23-May-11 17:51:18

I am going to disagree with worldgonecrazy and say I personally think a necklace draws attention to the bust even more. Sorry!
However if you do want a necklace here are some tips!
Lovely dress BTW.

Sariska Mon 23-May-11 18:08:35

Oh, I have this dress too in the navy. It's lovely, isn't it! (And it dresses up or down really well.)

Re necklaces, I'm not particularly top heavy so I do sometimes wear a small pendant with it - most recently an Alex Monroe gold rose. Don't think I'd wear anything chunky with it, though; the neckline just isn't right for it IMO.

Get some brightly coloured shoes, or silver, or gold (choices, choices - but brightly coloured seems good for a wedding), a super bag and let the sensational draping of the dress do the talking.

nannycheechee Mon 23-May-11 18:27:52

Thanks, everyone! Yes, I have the navy. I've never owned anything navy before because of traumatic school uniform experiences! I love the necklace website, very useful. I really want an excuse to buy silver shoes so thanks for that, Sariska!

Borisneedsahaircut Mon 23-May-11 18:30:13

I think its lovely. I'm jealous of you ladies who could get away with wearing it! Maybe a cream necklace and shoes?

Mumelie Mon 23-May-11 18:40:23

What a fantastic dress - I want one!
Having big boobs myself I wouldnt wear a necklace, probably big silver chandelier earrings, bracelet and some silver shoes.

worldgonecrazy Tue 24-May-11 08:57:58

I think if the necklace is worn quite high, near the throat or the little dimple of the collar bone it distracts the eye from the bust. If you wear a longer necklace around boob length that will draw the eye downwards to the boobs.

porcamiseria Tue 24-May-11 15:03:23

nice dress hate the shoes in the advert

get some really bright sandals or courts, some fake tan, and I am thinking GOLD with the navy?

Gillybobs Tue 24-May-11 15:06:29

Id brighten it up with shoes in a strong colour (maybe turquoise or fuschia pink) and get a fabulous cuff and clutch bag in the same colour.

Sailtheseas Wed 15-Jun-11 23:17:32

I'd put it with some statement jewellery - these nice for autumn-ish colours - nice in the gold, though I think I'd go for them in silver: Earrings Or, love these, pearls - but not tradiotional pearls! [[ http://sarahhickeyjewels.bigcartel.com/product/gris-pearl-tusk-earrings Earrings]]

Definitely agree about necklace drawing attention/eye toward the bust line. Chandelier earrings totally the way to go, they also always make you feel really 'dressed' at weddings, instant bit of glamour IMO

tulpe Thu 16-Jun-11 07:13:47

Gold much better with navy for a formal occasion like a wedding. Makes it that bit more glam but go for antique rather than bright gold tones. I wear a lot of navy and find that silver is fab for day but doesn't make the right impact for evening/an event.

MarchNowFebMum Fri 17-Jun-11 17:40:36

Helopful find OP which I found becuase of the rather commercial (gasp) 'Mumsnet swears by' newsletter - that said what woudl be really brilliant would be permanant category called 'sh*$ that hides problem stomachs'.

gregssausageroll Fri 17-Jun-11 17:55:37

I like it. A v neck works well with larger boobs. Anything round or high necked makes you look much, much bigger.

allhailtheaubergine Tue 05-Jul-11 16:39:23

Question to those who own it - is there stretch across the belly? Any good as a 1st / 2nd trimester frock?

Sariska Wed 06-Jul-11 10:03:34

I'm wearing mine today and, yes, there is some stretch across the belly but perhaps not as much as you'd think. It would be OK for early pregnancy - first trimester, perhaps - but you wouldn't have to have much of a bump for the front of the dress to start doing that annoying rising up at the front thing.

Great for disguising a post-pg tum, though! (If you're looking for an excuse to buy it.....)

daisythelabradoodle Wed 06-Jul-11 10:09:06

The dress is lovely but if you want something with sleeves you could try this site, they cater for women who want flattering dresses, with sleeves and longer length skirts etc, I have this dress and love it. http://folksy.com/items/1968537-Navy-Blue-Mock-Wrap-Tea-Dress?shop=yes

MABS Wed 06-Jul-11 18:49:11

i have that dress, love it. i am 32ff so don't so boob enhancement. No necklace for me, i wear several chunky bangles/bracelets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now