Talk

Advanced search

should they repair my eternity ring for free

(20 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Mon 16-May-11 11:31:03

DH bought me a diamond half band eternity ring 18 months ago. It was from a big name upmarket jeweller.

After 6 months I was at a friends house and knocked it on a door handle and one of the stones dropped out. They were very apologetic and repaired it for free including replacing the stone which was not to be found.

Now another year on another stone has dropped out, I was closing a cupboard door and caught the ring slightly on the edge and a stone dropped out. I spent ages on my hands and knees and luckily found it.

Should they repair this for free or is it my fault...I am kind of thinking the ring is intended to be worn day in day out so should be able to withstand a few knocks, this is making me not want to wear my ring in case it gets damaged again which is a massive shame....I rang up to ask and they said bring it in but couldn't guarantee they wouldn't charge for the repair.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 16-May-11 11:33:15

My engagement and eternity ring came from a jeweller that offered 10 year guarantees on them. After 10 years I would have had to pay. I think as they have repaired it and replaced the stone for free once then you should have to accept that you will have to pay this time.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 16-May-11 11:37:23

I was wondering that TheOriginal, the only thing is though that for this to have happened twice makes me think it is the ring IYKWIM, I have my grandmothers full band diamond eternity ring which I have worn every day for the last 10 years and clearly it is a much older ring and nothing like this has every happened...at least I have the stone so it should only be a repair charge I guess.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 16-May-11 11:39:21

I had no problems with my engagement ring for 10 years then damaged it 3 times, twice were within hours of me getting it back.

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 16-May-11 11:39:40

Just looked on their website and it says the following:

"every diamond we sell comes with a promise, we'll clean and inspect it once a year for the next ten years, free of charge"

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 16-May-11 11:40:45

crikey...that is bad luck. hopefully it won't be too ££££ a repair charge but judging by their prices I am not convinced...hey ho would be a lot more if I didn't have the stone.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 16-May-11 11:41:25

Is it Swag?

whoneedssleepanyway Mon 16-May-11 11:45:13

no mappin and webb

ElenStone Tue 24-May-11 13:05:36

If the stone is set properly, it shouldn't fall out as a result of day to day wear. I wouldn't pay the repair charge, I'd take it to an independant jeweller and ask them if they can tell you why the stones keep falling out. Chances are they'll find a fault, then you can go back to the company and demand a free repair.

WowOoo Tue 24-May-11 13:13:36

What Elenstone says.

Mine has never done this. It's so lucky you have the stone.

But, next time...who knows? That's why I'd want a second opinion and not to be fobbed off.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 24-May-11 13:15:21

I am taking it in on Friday so will let you know what they say....

Thanks.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 31-May-11 11:08:38

Well, I took it in at the weekend and they are sending it away to their workshop and will come back to me with an estimate of the repair cost which I will have to pay.

They were totally unable to give me any kind of ball park figure for repair which I find ridiculous, I said I just wanted an indication e.g. £50, £100 etc I wouldn't hold them to it but no it is impossible apparently for them to estimate this which I a bit hmm about.

I said was it unusual to have had 2 stones drop out within less than 2 years and he said "oh well you can so easily knock and damage one of the claws in an eternity ring and you wouldn't necessarily know you had done it", I find this worrying and it makes me not want to wear the ring now and this makes me sad as it was a lovely gift from DH to celebrate the birth of DD2...

I will see what they say but overall did not feel it was particularly great customer service and have a feeling I am going to be presented with a huge bill...sad

ellangirl Tue 31-May-11 12:32:02

I was going to ask a similar question whoneedssleep. My eternity ring has alternating round and baguette cut diamonds. One of the baguette shaped ones has cracked down the middle shock I didn't think diamonds were supposed to do this! DH is taking it back to the shop, as it's less than 2 years old.
Fingers crossed it doesn't cost too much to repair it for you. I think I'd be getting on to head office customer services if it is really expensive to repair or happens again.

whoneedssleepanyway Tue 31-May-11 13:35:16

that doesn't sound good ellan - good luck, I thought Diamonds were the hardest naturally occuring substance....

think i will get in touch with head office if the quote is extortionate...

wendihouse22 Tue 31-May-11 15:10:35

Sounds like a poor setting. I'd take it back. An eternity ring is not a dress ring....it's meant for everyday wear and should withstand gentle knocks. I think you have a duff one, myself.

If, on the other hand you wear it to do extreme sports or really heavy work ( in terms of knocks/vibration) then it could be that should remove it for those activities.

hophophippidtyhop Tue 31-May-11 20:26:06

I'm a goldsmith at an independant jewellers, we tell our customers that they should have their rings checked once a year, as over the course of time the everyday little knocks and bumps could affect it. We tend to compare it to how you would treat a car - you get it checked once a year to make sure it's all in working order. I have to say that for some reason, many people assume that jewellery is invincible and should not wear away/stones get dislodged.
OP, it is unusual for it to happen in a short space of time, but sadly it can happen. It's best to get the settings of the stone checked, and maybe pop it in to somewhere with an onsite workshop in future to have a quick check of the settings to make sure they haven't come loose. And diamonds can break - they naturally have inclusions in them, which if knocked badly or at the wrong angle, could possibly break or chip on occassion .

wendihouse22 Tue 31-May-11 20:52:39

I'm not a jeweller but I still think that with regular wear ie. Nothing too extreme, the ring ought not to have gone so quickly. Twice.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 09-Jun-11 11:25:05

well finally have an answer to this, they initially wanted to charge me £300 to repair it shock but I queried this (they said they needed to replace all 36 claw tips) and they sent it to their quality control department and are doing the lot for free, they did say it was a combination of customer wear and that the ring should have been built up a bit more in places.

Am v happy yay!!!

wendihouse22 Thu 09-Jun-11 11:48:37

Sounds more like it. Poor craftsmanship. Good for you.

bethelbeth Thu 09-Jun-11 14:52:01

A lot of the big name jewellery emporiums sell poorly crafted or flawed designs and try and plug their insurance cover for an extra £30 at the sale. If you don't take the cover then they won't fix it! (Not so Earnest Jones!)

I am a goldsmith also. I honestly don't think rings need a yearly checkup. If you have sold the right ring to the right person then it should be hardy enough to put up with their every day life (ie: heavy bands for weightlifters etc) obviously things happen and stones will fall out or get chipped but to have so many problems within such a short period of time. I'd get rid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now