Talk

Advanced search

nude/bare tights for darker skin tones?

(21 Posts)
MooMinCow Sat 07-May-11 16:58:43

don't like going bare legged due to scars/stretchmarks/varicose veins on my legs but struggle to find sheer skin tone tights for my skin tone. would say I'm same colour as Freida Pinto.

Marks are rubbish, all their 'bare' tights I've seen are way too pale. any suggestions?

NanAstley Sat 07-May-11 17:20:31

I have the same problem, and I think I have the same skin tone as you. The selection is absolutely rubbish, isn't it? Have tried Marks, John Lewis and Falke, nada! I never wear nude/bare/sheer. sad

bunjies Sat 07-May-11 17:36:02

Eagerly awaiting a response as also have same problem.

Found this but don't want to shell out for something that may not be right. Anyone tried any of these?

bunjies Sat 07-May-11 17:37:16

These look like they would be good.

flibbertigibbert Sat 07-May-11 22:23:59

Gaaaah this drives me mad. Anyone up for a mass letter writing campaign? Even M&S in Brixton and Walworth Road don't have tights for people with my skin tone which is a bit ridiculous considering black women are in the majority whenever I go in there.

MooMinCow Sat 07-May-11 22:27:40

nanastley- yes selection is rubbish on high street, we don't all suit 'natural tan' (whatever that is!). I end up wearing opaques all the time, but wouldn't nice to have another option too!

bunjies-those falke ones look good but £8.50 for a pair of tights, yikes! would want to see colours in RL to see if they are a match. dept store I guess?

zeus123 Sat 07-May-11 22:33:09

Have you tried pretty Polly tights? Sure they do colours like ebony for darker skin.

MooMinCow Sat 07-May-11 22:34:36

flibbertigibbert - x post. but yes totally agree. even 'nude' underwear gets me wound up. finding skin toned bras/pants is a bloody effort too (but I think marks have a range now). shame they can't do the same for hosiery! must be a brand somewhere (America?) that caters for women of colour? we're not all blessed with smooth flawless pins!

Mahraih Sun 08-May-11 09:31:51

Also watching with hope/interest!

I've scoured London with no success...

lupo Sun 08-May-11 09:37:16

falke hold-ups/ tights in powder are the best - have light asian skin tone and they are perfect

bunjies Sun 08-May-11 12:48:12

Hurrah - a recommendation. Might shell out for the Falke ones now but would still like to see the colour in real life. I wonder if somewhere like Selfridges/Harvey Nicks/Liberty would stock them.

MooMinCow Sun 08-May-11 13:50:34

thanks lupo. think powder would be too light. maybe the noisette or even cocoa shade? (legs are v tanned from recent hols!). are they v v shiny?

I live in the midlands so not sure where would stock them. john lewis or house of Fraser maybe, or there's always selfridges in brum.

lupo Sun 08-May-11 20:20:23

well I am asian and quite dark at the moment and the powder ones were not too light for me - looked like I had bare legs, slight shimmer to them but not shiny. I ordered online from sock shop I think, abou £8 each but very good quality and havent snagged after several wears

NanAstley Mon 09-May-11 12:42:27

lupo I had a look in John Lewis and their Falke selection didn't have that colour. Silly me, I didn't think to look at their whole range on their own website blush.

How do you tell if the colour actually suits your particular skin tone though? I wonder if they accept returns? Hmm....

Feya Mon 09-May-11 19:50:58

Have you tried barely nude tights (I think thats what its called) from Boots? Yes, Boots! I have dark skin as well and found these to be the best (having tried M&S, Pretty Polly, John Lewis etc), and very reasonably priced - can be bought in packs of 3.

MooMinCow Mon 09-May-11 21:15:08

ooh that's v interesting Feya. will go to the big Boots and investigate! thx

MooMinCow Thu 12-May-11 13:52:45

well, found some of the falke shelina tights in TKMax for £3.99 so will give them a go (unfortunately the packet has no mention of what shade they are grr).

had a look in boots but their bare tights were way too light and the p.polly ones were too light/pink based for me.

MooMinCow Fri 14-Oct-11 18:15:00

Anyone tried these yet?

PrimaBallerina Fri 14-Oct-11 19:38:00

moomin I was just racking my brain to see where I'd read about this the other day. Debenhams. (outs self as DM online reader blush)

MooMinCow Fri 14-Oct-11 20:00:42

it's ok Prima, I only read their 'showbiz' & femail section (which doesn't count), but I share the shame with you blush

omydarlin Sat 15-Oct-11 08:58:08

watching this thread with interest. I have trouble with foundation but I think the new bourjois one with goji berries was about right ..going back to Boots today to check in more daylight so may check out tights too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now