Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Sew, seamstress or new dress?

(8 Posts)
mollysmum82 Tue 03-May-11 13:19:42

I have a dress which I absolutely adore and is perfect in every way except the seam on the cuff has started to come away, leaving a gaping hole. I also have a dress that needs taking in and the straps adjusting. I googled seamstresses for where I live but had no luck so I wondered if people just didn't use them any more? Do you do your own sewing (and if so do you have any tips?) or can you suggest where to look for someone? I'm determined to take care of my clothes for longer and not keep buying throwaway fashion!

many thanks

Zoidberg Tue 03-May-11 13:35:18

I'm rubbish at sewing important stuff and there are no less than 3 tailor/seamstresses within 5 mins walk of my house so take stuff there. Would like to do my own sewing, am working up to it.

I decided just last year to look after clothes more and have had a couple of zips replaced in skirts I previously would have left lying around, did give them a new lease of life and for only £12. Also I have dyed a couple of things, one red linen dress from H&M now looks totally fab and new again.

dexter73 Tue 03-May-11 13:40:55

Could you try your local dry cleaners?

tulpe Tue 03-May-11 13:43:50

yes try local dry cleaners. I found they were much more cost efficient for alterations than the local seamstress (who charged ridiculous prices just for taking things up). Any mending I tend to do myself but hemming/taking lengths up (particularly anything lined) just makes my heart sink.

mollysmum82 Tue 03-May-11 13:50:39

Dry cleaners hadn't even crossed my mind, thanks so much!

DuchessEm Tue 03-May-11 18:37:58

If you have a John Lewis near you they tend to have a list of local seamstresses in a folder behind the haberdashery counter. Also if you have a Fabricland store, they also have lists of seamstresses/dressmakers.

bigbadbarry Thu 05-May-11 11:21:29

Just coming to say dry cleaners too smile

mollysmum82 Sat 28-May-11 20:17:32

Thanks again everyone, £14 for two dresses at our local dry cleaners and very impressed with the results.Now I have the excuse I need to buy expensive clothes....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: