Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop dyeing my roots ginger?

(6 Posts)
PinkIsMyFavouriteCrayon Thu 31-Mar-11 20:39:48

Money has been a bit tight these past few months, so I've been doing the home hair dye job rather than highlights. I'm naturally a mousey blonde/brown, and whenever I've dyed the roots have gone a ginger shade! I've now got stripey hair and just want to be blonde! I've tried a few ash blonde and honey blonde shades in my time, l'oriel, nice&easy etc, and they all do the same thing! Can anyone help me? Thank you!

madhousewife Thu 31-Mar-11 21:24:28

I have the same problem - i'd love to hear if anyone has an answer to this!

Stuffedcat Thu 31-Mar-11 21:38:02

I'm a mousy brown and have found the best blonde to use is Garnier Nutriesse 'chamomile' - I apply and leave on hair about 45 mins (when wet it can look a bit reddish, but when dry its a lovely colour) and to stop from brassiness I use a purple based shampoo (Touch of silver which costs about £2.00).

PinkIsMyFavouriteCrayon Fri 01-Apr-11 13:01:40

Good idea stuffedcat my hairdresser has mentioned touch of silver in the past (well, back in the days when I could afford to get my hair cut - sob!)

biryani Fri 01-Apr-11 18:03:44

Me too!! According to my hairdresser, home colours just don't lift enough. I used to use a setting lotion in purple to counteract the orangey tones, but I'm not sure if it's still around. Try a backstreet chemist with an older client base who still have shampoos and sets.

LawLady Tue 28-Jun-11 13:09:52

I know this conversation is very much over but I just wanted to say that I read it today after agonising about how to cheer my hair up without spending £150 at the hairdressers. The advice worked - Garnier Chamomile and I am so happy! Thanks and I will now be using Mumsnet much more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now