Talk

Advanced search

hideous haircut- can I get a refund?

(14 Posts)
vannah Mon 28-Mar-11 17:35:48

So upset! I've been bawling all weekend. Spent ages trying to research and find a 'reputable' hairdresser. The one I chose has apparently won awards for his talent. A complete con I would say- probably some marketing scam on the internet.

I sat down and attempted to explain what I wanted, he gave me an irritated look and said 'I KNOW what your hair needs. You need a complete reshaping'

I tried to say yes but...this is what I want but he kept talking over me. He then sent me over to be washed and meanwhile sent a girl over to tell me (my hair dripping wet) that David will now be charging £90 for this cut as opposed to £50 because there is so much to be done. I was stunned and asked for a hairdrier, to dry my own hair and then leave.

He then came over and said he would do it this one time (I checked twice over the phone what the price was!). Got out a razor, and spent about 8 minutes hacking.

I look like Rod Stewart. I cant bear to look in the mirror. I feel so unbelievably unhappy. I had pretty long wavy hair. I actually started to cry at the salon. But was stupid enough to pay.

A lot is my own fault - I should have walked out in the beginning when I could see he wasnt listening to a word of what I said.

Can I get a refund?

thankyou

tulpe Mon 28-Mar-11 17:59:17

I am not sure about the legal aspect but I am sure that most reputable salons would at least want the opportunity to put it right for you. I know that you won't want "David" on the case but possibly another stylist might at least be able to make it more wearable.

Does "David" own the salon? If not, I would call and speak with the manager and complain.

Also sending you a hug because a haircut that isn't quite what you asked for is one thing but a totally crappy one that you can't bear to look at is quite another.

tulpe Mon 28-Mar-11 18:00:29

oh and don't feel stupid about paying. I think lots of women do that - hurriedly tapping in their PIN just to get out asap and have a damn good cry.

tethersend Mon 28-Mar-11 18:04:18

If it's any consolation, I quite fancy Rod Stewart.

BluddyMoFo Mon 28-Mar-11 18:06:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TattyDevine Mon 28-Mar-11 18:08:45

Shit.

Legally I dont think you have a leg to stand on - the whole "you didn't do what I asked for" thing is so hard to prove either way. Unless it was a terrible terrible cut in terms of technical ability - ie a wonky fring or similar.

That said a salon owner/manager will generally try and put things right, but it doesn't generally involve getting your money back.

Thing is, much as its annoying to have paid for something you dont like, money wont really fix it, will it? Will a revisit fix it? Because if so, that's what you should be pushing for, really.

vannah Mon 28-Mar-11 20:54:18

Thankyou for the much needed sympathy!

I think that what tattydevine said is about right- money wont fix it... And I don't want it touched with scissors or razors for at least a year. Its too short! It couldnt be fixed with further cutting.

So so sad.

TattyDevine Mon 28-Mar-11 21:04:05

What you can do that might make you FEEL better...

Depending on where the salon was (if it was some tiny backwater villagy thing or tiny town job maybe not)...is write a filthy horrible review on UrbanPath or DooYoo or whatever hairdressing review sites you can find.

Name and shame. Photos if you need to! It will make you feel better!!!

vannah Mon 28-Mar-11 21:17:23

Tatty that's a brilliant idea. The thought did cross my mind, mostly to prevent others from falling into the same trap I got sucked into.

higgle Mon 28-Mar-11 22:43:46

I recently had the same experience and wrote about it on here see my thread I wrote a long and reasoned letter of complaint and sent it to the salon and the head office I said I was happy to go and let them look at my hair, either in Bristol or Gloucester but would not let them touch it again and requested a refund, I was persistant and got a cheque for the full amount in about a week. As a former solicitor I think I would have won in county court - yes it is your word against theirs but the decision is based on the balance of probabilities and I felt sure that if necessary the court would have realised I was more likely to be in the right than not - you wuld have to be a pretty perverse person to take it that far just on a whim! I'd suggest you write a letter or send a long email about this and ask for a refund - there is nothing more upsetting than having your direct instructions ignored and make to look really dreadful.

vannah Tue 29-Mar-11 21:01:16

thankyou higgle for that. I will write a letter in that case..

Nagoo Tue 29-Mar-11 21:28:00

I had that, I went back in and they fixed it for me. they took me to a special crying area out the back, I got a refund and I also got 20% off my next cut (with a different hairdresser obv)

kittya Tue 29-Mar-11 21:36:23

was it a small salon or a chain? I have a friend who has gone back to Vidal Sasoon on two different occasions and has had a restyle for free. She goes home, wears and washes for a couple of days and if its not what she wanted she rings them and goes back. Its brave, I think!

ladybird4 Sun 28-Oct-12 11:31:28

I'm in the same boat...again. Had an expensive cut yesterday and as soon as I got home my 12 year son immediately commented that one side was shorter than the other. Raced upstairs to examine it carefully in the bathroom light and just could not believe my eyes. I had a feeling that the hairdresser wasn't really taking much care or attention but because he is so reputable I foolishly didn't bother to take a good look at it before I left the salon. I am now sitting here thinking how the hell I'm going to complain as he's not the sort of guy who would take kindly to criticism. Have gone back numerous times in the past when I've been unhappy with a cut but they were usually done by big chains like Headmasters or Rush where the salon's are so impersonal that it's no biggie. Really angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now