Talk

Advanced search

bikini waxing virgin... is it worth it?

(23 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Sat 26-Mar-11 18:42:29

ok, I have let my area get a little out of control since having ds. I used to use cream to tidy up, but now its like a tangled forest. in fact there may be a couple of woodland creatures living there without my knowledge. as part of my "getting myself out of a rut" campaign I decided to sort it out and considered waxing. how much does it hurt? really? I pluck my own eyebrows, is it worse than that? and is it worth it? and how hard is it to maintain? and will it get itchy when it starts to regrow? will it help clear up my recurrent thrush? and how much does it hurt?

OracleInaCoracle Sat 26-Mar-11 18:49:11

bump

OracleInaCoracle Sat 26-Mar-11 18:59:54

god, does noone want to discuss my lady garden?

withagoat Sat 26-Mar-11 19:00:04

no

omnishambles Sat 26-Mar-11 19:01:06

I dont think its worth it as you then have to keep on doing it and its expensive to do if you look at it over a year - add it up and ask yourself if thats ok.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 26-Mar-11 19:02:44

ah, good point.

ViolaTricolor Sat 26-Mar-11 19:06:00

I sometimes do my own with the microwaveable wax. I find it less painful than getting someone else to do it, but it's still a hassle. And really, you have to wait till everyone's out -- it's not an attractive spectacle.

omnishambles Sat 26-Mar-11 19:07:08

I think its one of those things that seem a good idea when you start and then you realise its a right expensive pain in the arse

<looks ruefully at her expensive grown-out highlights>

onepieceoflollipop Sat 26-Mar-11 19:08:18

My advice is to trim it back initially. This will make a big difference (if it is terribly overgrown it will be too long to wax effectively in that state)

For bikini line (but not legs) try the pre-waxed strips. (any chemist or supermarket). I warm them up slightly with the hairdryer as I find this most effective.

I can't see the fuss re waxing tbh. Ime it's not that painful (although some people say don't do it just before/during a period as it is more sensitive/painful then)

OracleInaCoracle Sat 26-Mar-11 19:17:41

see, my hair is pretty resilient, when using the cream i need to leave it on for longer than advised.

ThisFeelsWeird Sat 26-Mar-11 20:01:30

If it's your first time, then yes, it is a lightening fast sharp pain, but it doesn't linger if they know what they're doing. It's sort of over before you know it. But there's no denying it hurts, especially the first few times. I agree with the suggestions that you trim back - it really makes a difference and makes it easier for the therapist to see what they're doing.

The first time I had it done I was amazed at the effect. It doesn't grow back stubbly and if you only fancy doing it every now and then. I hardly ever have it done. Last time was three days before DS was born - made my episiotomy much easier to perform!

You should do it once anyway.

exhaustednurse Sun 27-Mar-11 07:32:58

I would say, go to a very good salon and get a profesional wax for the first time.

There in after, do it at home with wax strips yourself.

Then, for holidays or maybe once or twice a year get it done in salon again to keep on track.

It hurts at the time, but it's over straight away. It's not that bad really.

nightowlmostly Sun 27-Mar-11 07:53:27

I used to get waxed at a beauty salon, and it does hurt, but it is so worth it. It lasts for a while, and even if you don't go back for ages, it doesn't matter, it takes ages to grow back to a 'full bush'! Do trim before you go though.

I decided that the salon was too expensive to do all the time, but I still use them before a holiday.

Lately I have been waxing at home with those strips from Veet. It is a bit fiddly, and you will need privacy and a mirror! Have a few glasses of wine to take the edge off and it's really not so bad, but I would recommend going to a professional first, to take note of their technique.

Wyke129 Sun 27-Mar-11 09:54:55

Take a pain killer before waxing -definitely takes the edge off. I would trim too as someone else said.

Northumberlandlass Sun 27-Mar-11 19:10:15

It's not that painful ! I get a brazillian done every 5 weeks.

Completely worth IMO, but then I like brazillians. I suppose if you just want it shaped / tamed then I would go to a professional for the first time to get the right shape and then DIY from then on, it's what I do with my eyebrows !
x

piratecat Sun 27-Mar-11 19:21:13

Sugar Stripease looks good, just been googling. available at boots.

i have used the pre waxed strips, but end up in a right mess. only for bikini line tho, the sugar stuff is more natural.

FanjoForTheMusic Sun 27-Mar-11 19:21:50

The regrowth is a bastard, ingrowing hairs are more unsightly than an unruly ladygarden IMO.

Have you got enough dosh for lasering? Hurts like buggery but is permanent.

MrsMc82 Sun 27-Mar-11 19:57:37

I'm a recent convert to brazillians..... First two time it hurt so much I squealed but the girl doing it reassured me that the more you have it done the less it hurts I thought she was just trying to get me to keep going and payng £40 a time but the last time I went it was loads quicker than usual and its didn't hurt half as much, was great! Its so much easier than having to sort it out yourself so worth the pain imo.....

Northumberlandlass Mon 28-Mar-11 07:55:27

£40 !!!!!! Bleedin' heck. Mine only £18...
x

WaxingGuru Wed 30-Mar-11 21:49:25

Here's some tips to reduce the "ouch" factor
- Practice technique on a your thigh or arm before moving to your bikini.
- Dust a fine layer of baby powder on skin before applying wax.
- Don't wax before your period, you're more sensitive then.
- Apply a little pressure to the waxed area with your hand or a cool cloth immediately following the 'pull'.
- work in small sections at a time, like the size of 2 postage stamps or so.
- Ibuprofen can help diffuse pain and relieve swelling. Take 30 min beforehand.
- Do not wax immediately following bathtime - your skin will be swollen.
- Speed counts. Pull the wax strip back QUICKLY
- Don't be shy! Give yourself enough space, time and privacy to perform the deed. This will help you to relax. Prepare your area with everything you need before getting started, and hey, why not a little soothing music as well?
- make sure you've got the right product for YOU parissa.com/learn/new-to-waxing

Hope this helps,
Good luck

Geekygirly Thu 13-Oct-11 17:25:27

I agree with exhaustednurse, you should just make an appointment in a good beauty salon. It may be not very cheap and painful at the beginning but it's worth it as in my opinion it's one of the best and effective methods of getting rid of hair.

whojimmyflip Thu 13-Oct-11 19:06:12

Waxing is definitely best left to professionals. A good Brazilian is so satisfying. Painful, but you've done childbirth! I sometimes think ok I'm going to do it myself but it's such a faff. I always get confused at which way the hair grows and end up making a right hash of it. With a small child, forget it. Book yourself in and them tell us what you think!

I rarely get ingrowers and if they look bad it's because I pick at them. I just use a scrub once a week and it seems to do the trick.

MangoMonster Thu 13-Oct-11 19:18:57

I think so but it can be painful and expensive. You won't know until you try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now