Talk

Advanced search

Disguising tear troughs, finally something that works

(105 Posts)
otchayaniye Mon 07-Mar-11 10:55:38

Basically a tear trough is a groove or very slight indent caused by thinning skin (so appears bluer and darker than just a dark circle) and slight bagging of the eye, which creates a slight shadow. Just using a plain old concealer isn't going to properly disguise them and loading more on will make it look even worse. You can google 'tear troughs' images to see what I mean.

You can get them in your thirties and genetic factors (thinner, paler skin) exacerbate it.

I am beginning to get the start of these -- not badly in all honesty -- but it really annoyed me as I think I look ok for my
age (39) except for this, which makes me look really knackered.

I bought all the concealers -- even Cle de Peau ($$$$$$), many eye creams (they don't work but do provide a nice surface
to apply stuff) and got more sleep. It did nothing.

The only way to get rid of them is to get restylane fillers or have blepharoplasty. I was starting to consider this as it just bugged the hell out of me and was the thing I'd zero in on if I caught my reflection. I just looked so tired.

Anyway. My makeup artist friend (big, has own makeup brand) helped me out. It really has made a huge difference, so much I
want to share it as you can be like me and spend a fortune and search for hours for a perfect concealer and it won't work and
just make you look too made up (especially in this harsh British daylight) or 160 years old.

You basically need to use two shades to recess and bring out the different areas of the undereye to disguise this trough.

I use a salmon corrector (not concealer). Eve Pearl is great but hard to get (US) but Bobbi Brown corrector is also very good. I apply this on the dark area but if you have any fine lines try not to apply too much to those and really just concentrate on the dark. Tap in.

Then use a very small brush (lip liner is good, I use a very small headed Bobbi Brown concealer brush as I happen to have one) and apply a tiny amount of concealer two shades lighter (I use BB warm ivory) JUST in the shadow the slight bag creates. It helps to look down in a mirror in natural light. Only apply in this line tapping lightly in. You are effectively trying to 'bring out' this area, not the skin around it. Any concealer will do but Bobbi Brown do a good range to pick a good two shades lighter, as do MAC or you could buy a Ben Nye or Kryolan wheel -- they go cheap on eBay.

I use a large EcoTools concealer brush to tap this line in.

I then use Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder with this brush just on this line. Apply too much and it makes the under
eye look chalky, and draws attention to any fine lines. Basically I sacrifice setting power with not having too much product
or powder. Any powder will do, I just happen to have this and want to use it up.

Other tips for knackered eyes is to use a lilac wash (really brightens -- Mac Digit is lovely) eyeshadow. I avoid too much sparkle although a slight sheen is fine. And I always wear something on the waterline. Either an Illamasqua nude pencil or a darker LM one. Again, anything will do, the trick is to disguise the red rim.

This takes a light hand, good light and practice but this one trick has single handedly made me look better, less knackered
than any expensive cream or eyewateringly expensive concealer.

otchayaniye Mon 07-Mar-11 10:59:35

Apols funny line breaks, typed it all out in word first.

PlanetEarth Mon 07-Mar-11 12:35:03

I have to say, that all sounds like far too much trouble! Learn to love your skin as it is, that's done me for years!

otchayaniye Mon 07-Mar-11 12:58:16

Far less trouble than surgery PlanetEarth. Takes me about 45 seconds each eye.

I do love my skin but I won't lie and say I loved two darkish grooves underneath my eyes which prematurely age me and make me look more tired than I am.

Maybe you don't care much for makeup but plenty others do and this may help people with troughs who are searching and searching (like I did, largely in vain) for products to help.

PlanetEarth Mon 07-Mar-11 13:39:15

Surgery? You've gotta be kidding! Got more respect for myself than that smile.

otchayaniye Mon 07-Mar-11 13:53:29

Oooooooooh! <holds (eye)bag up to chin>

I have never heard of a tear trough, so will therefore not worry about them.

sweetheart Mon 07-Mar-11 14:30:05

I am not even 30 yet and i have very very noticable tear troughs - I have a consultation this week for the fillers so may have to go and get the stuff to try this out. Thanks you, people who do not have this problem will not realise how much it effects you. I am always being told I look tired or ill because of the lines below my eyes! Makes me feel much older than my years sad

Sammy74 Mon 07-Mar-11 14:39:21

Thanks otchayaniye for that info - very helpful. I already have the BB concealer and will look into the other products you mentioned.

Tear troughs (didnt know they were called that) are very aging and I suffer from them.

I hate it when you get a glance of them when reflected in your computer screen!

barbieisaskinnybitch Mon 07-Mar-11 14:41:44

Can't believe the cheek of people commenting sharply on such a generous posting.

If you're not interested/invested in this issue, don't read it & more importantly, don't be so chuffin rude about those of us who are interested/suffer with them & are grateful for the posting.

Plenty of other posts for you to comment nastily about...you know where the back button is.

otchayaniye Mon 07-Mar-11 14:44:19

Given I mentioned two BB products, it might be worth going to a counter and letting them give you a couple of brushes and the corrector and concealer (warm ivory might be a good bet if you are pale, but not super pale, with coolish tones) and a mirror. One of the frustrating things about this is trying to explain to counter assistant and them wanting to take over and plaster you with concealer or light reflective stuff.

Then go into the daylight and check it out.

If you don't want to spend too much I recommend the BB corrector but then you could go for a cheaper lighter concealer as you are only using the tiniest of lines of it. And a cheapo lip brush and any old powder will do. I just happen to have a bulging concealer/brightener collection.

BadPoet Mon 07-Mar-11 14:49:07

Oh, I think I must have these grin No, really, I do have indentations, I am v pale/thin skinned and concealer doesn't really work on them. They look worse when I smile, which is awful.

I'll probably try your tips, I'll certainly try the lilac shadow one soon and I'll look into the corrector/concealers when I've finished up my current eye-wateringly expensive, not much use concealer.

Thanks smile

MillsAndDoom Mon 07-Mar-11 14:54:30

Thanks - mine are really bad - worse still wehn I'm tired.

Sounds a bit complicated but I'm going to give it a go.

In fact I'm off to see if I can find anything on youtube cos I'm a simpleton who can't follow written instructions

BitOfFun Mon 07-Mar-11 14:57:22

It's too hard to follow for me, but I agree that it is nice of you to go to the trouble.

Have you considered filming a Youtube tutorial? It would be much easier to understand what you mean then.

otchayaniye Mon 07-Mar-11 14:59:54

I don't have a webcam.

Basically, the short version:

Apply a concealer matching your skin, or better, a corrector under the eye.

Aplly a concealer with a fine tipped or small brush to just the groove. Tap in.

Set with powder

cybilliberty Mon 07-Mar-11 15:05:40

sweetheart I would be very interested to know how you get on with your consultation

I'm having a consult about a big blue vein under my eye which exacerbates my hollow eyed look

Having reached 40 now I'm fed up looking exhausted all the time and folk commenting on it

BitOfFun Mon 07-Mar-11 15:08:12

I have found something that sounds similar to what you are saying in a YouTube here

Is that what you mean?

ClaireDeLoon Mon 07-Mar-11 15:08:31

I have these too - never knew there was a name for them. I also have very thin skin and am very pale.

TBH I'm rubbish at applying make up (for example I have no idea what tapping in means) but will give this a go, see if I can find a concealer that is even lighter than my usual to use in the line.

I'm also interested in hearing about how the consultation about the fillers goes.

Thanks OP!

PlanetEarth Mon 07-Mar-11 16:19:43

Maybe I'm more at home in the Feminism group... It's just I've never yet looked at another woman and thought, "She'd look so much better with more make-up or plastic surgery!" confused

sweetheart Mon 07-Mar-11 16:51:39

why does feminism have to mean no makeup and body hair etc? hmm

sweetheart Mon 07-Mar-11 16:52:18

FYI - it's not about what you think of me when you look at me it's what I think of myself.

TattyDevine Mon 07-Mar-11 16:54:35

Good for you PlanetEarth. What are you doing in Style & Beauty then? Off you trot hmm

I thought the whole idea of Style and Beauty was that you could indulge in, or seek advice about, your own personal "vanity" triggers without getting this kind of backlash.

barbieisaskinnybitch Mon 07-Mar-11 16:57:34

Exactly tatty like I say, all those with bitchy typing fingers know where the back button is.

mamalovesmojitos Mon 07-Mar-11 16:58:27

Thanks for post, I may try it! Always look exhausted, even after a great night's sleep.

TheAllNewOoooh Mon 07-Mar-11 17:44:23

Thanks for going to all that trouble Otch, that's a really helpful post.

Ignore the ingrates. Tear troughs have spoiled almost every photo I have had taken over the last couple of years and I would be delighted to find a 45 second per eye solution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now