Talk

Advanced search

OK I have wide feet -but I am not a granny FFS!

(65 Posts)
upthehill Sat 05-Mar-11 22:16:53

I want nice shoes but I have always had wide feet - I like to think I have a better grip on the earth than most people!

I hate shoe shopping - lots of lovely shoes are off limits to me, I find the whole experience frankly embarassing.

Evans are ok for wide shoes but tbh, the shoes often look a bit weird.

M&S footglove wide fitting do not even warrant a mention - I hate you, you M&S designers, for assuming we are all old grannies.

Never had much joy with New Look either - too many heels - I have a 2 and 4 year old and go to the park a lot!

Yes I am ranting, but I have had a miserable shopping trip.

Have tried online shopping but it is so much better to try on.

Anyone found any high street makes that are more wider fitting.

I have been buying some spring skirts and I need some shoes so I can wear them..

ellangirl Sat 05-Mar-11 22:56:31

I feel your pain! But no, I have no pearls of wisdom- those are all the places I am normally restricted to, plus Next (but they're not very much wider than normal I don't think). Hate my feet!

BattyNora Sat 05-Mar-11 23:11:14

I have wide feet and also hate shoe shopping.

Most of the time I wear boots all winter and flip flip/toe po sandals in the summer.

Most of my shoes come from evans where I have to say are stupidly over priced for very poor quality shit but with so few other options I have no choice but to keep going back.

Newlook sometimes has widefit. Matalan did do a widefit collection but it seems to have dissapeared.

I have never found wide fit shoes in Next - have been told they are only available online FFS. So I have never botherd with them as I need to try shoes on to know if they fit and cba returning them etc etc.

SickOnMyShoulder Sun 06-Mar-11 07:12:49

I have these pumps from M&S and they are a bit too wide for my wide feet! Not grannyish though!

upthehill Sun 06-Mar-11 07:33:35

Thanks SickOMS I will have a try next time in M&S, but I do find that pumps can be difficult when you have wide feet - they don't stay on very well.

I too wear a lot of flop flops in the summer - spring is a problem though!

mousymouse Sun 06-Mar-11 07:39:25

I have all of this: wide feet, narrow ankle, hate shoe shopping.
I find that shoes from ecco fit well, and they even have styles that don*t look "granny".

BerryLellowFluffyChicks Sun 06-Mar-11 08:22:32

New look's wide fit is ok, although the shoes aren't all that comfortable.

OrangeBernard Sun 06-Mar-11 08:25:58

Clarks do a wide fitting and they have really raised their game style wise recently

upthehill Sun 06-Mar-11 09:26:52

thanks for all the replies

I have and ecco outlet store quite nearby so I will give them a go. I dare say I will give Clarks another go to!

I would love to find some stylish comfy shoes that I can walk in - i too have narrow ankles and I want to wear wice skirts!

upthehill Sun 06-Mar-11 09:27:29

sorry about the typing - balancing a cup of coffee!!

Deaddei Sun 06-Mar-11 09:32:16

I have the opposite problem- narrow feet but big.
Have you seen Hotter shoes blush

barbieisaskinnybitch Sun 06-Mar-11 09:36:09

Fitflop. Fits my hooves & I love em!

violetmoon Sun 06-Mar-11 09:37:25

I actually bought some wide fit leather shoes from primark! Try calling them, or evans they do nice wide fit shoes too.

upthehill Sun 06-Mar-11 09:39:19

Never heard of Hotter but I like that they are all made in the UK. Lots of granny styles but I thought that these might work with a skirt these ones.

I am so wary of buying online though - they invariably go back!

Cies Sun 06-Mar-11 10:28:07

I have this problem too, and end up going to Evans because I knwo they will fit. But they aren-t very good quality. Will check out these other suggestions smile

Hotter seem to be only on sale in outlet villages (in Pavers outlets). I suffer with this too, plus in my line of work I am not allowed to wear open shoes, so I wear boots as late into spring as I can, and flip flop type when not at work in summer.

The work shoes thing is a nightmare, I also need decent arch support and can only wear low heels, ballet flats don't give the support plus they look ridiculous on my wide feet, Clarks generally seem a bit casual for work. Hotters are slightly on the frumpy side but better than many.

Buda Sun 06-Mar-11 10:48:01

There are two on-line sites - Viva La Diva and Duo that do wide fitting shoes and boots. Duo do have some shops. I know it is mainly on-line but both websites give a measurement guide so you can measure your feet and get the right width.

They both have a good variety.

MistyValley Sun 06-Mar-11 10:52:28

Skechers boots and trainers tend to be wider fitting than most, I've found that to be the case anyway.

And Crocs <ducks>

CeliaFate Sun 06-Mar-11 11:06:38

Evans does EEE fitting and aren't granny like.

twoboots Sun 06-Mar-11 11:40:08

i second evans for wide fit,
try being a size 8/9 and wide too!
i end up stretching lots of shoes in the freezer.

crystalglasses Sun 06-Mar-11 11:48:41

My feet are so wide I can't even fit into fitflops. I find Evans are the best bet and some of their range are fashionable.

thejaffacakesareonme Sun 06-Mar-11 12:58:07

I buy quite a few shoes and boots from Clarks online as I find that most of their wide fit shoes aren't available in store. The fit can vary hugely but they do free delivery and returns, so I don't mind buying them online too much.

BoffinMum Sun 06-Mar-11 13:05:48

You problem is that you are looking at brands based using an Italian last, as opposed to a German last, which is wider.

Your ideal brands are probably:

Gabor
Lotus (be selective)
Paul Green of Munich
French Sole

You need to budget £50+ for shoes to get something that will fit well and not make the balls of your feet sting.

Mamaz0n Sun 06-Mar-11 13:08:23

If you think you have problems, try being a size 9/10 and NOT having wide feet.

shoes are impossible to find.

everything is wide fitting if you have big feet. when will companies understand that long does not equal fat!

Deaddei Sun 06-Mar-11 14:24:07

Hear hear MamazOn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now