Talk

Advanced search

toast - overpriced and doesn't fit

(23 Posts)
mumonahottinroof Fri 04-Mar-11 08:49:11

Just did my first ever Toast order

I am very hmm

I ordered a smock which literally could house an entire Bedouin extended family. It says in the blurb it's oversized but it's ridiculous, I look as if I'm about to take off in it. And it was £165

Another dress, very pretty, also makes me look like Mrs Creosote.

Two tops I ordered otoh are far too small and make me look fat in a different way.

Anyway, the whole lot is going back. Just wondering what others had made of it?

fishie Fri 04-Mar-11 08:51:33

yes toast is tres voluminous. i always get a 10 and i'm a 12 in m&s.

isabella oliver also fit only for camping in. i've got something size 6 from them!

tulpe Fri 04-Mar-11 09:03:36

I really like the idea of Toast and do own a few items from there. I would agree with you that their sizes are strange and not at all consistent.

I have two size 8 dresses (a silk/velvet tunic and a semi-fitted shift) both of which fit beautifully. However, I have had several attempts to buy trousers from there and yet I cannot even get my backside in a size 12 hmm which would be 2 sizes larger than my regular size.

messylittlemonkey Fri 04-Mar-11 11:33:54

Yes, Toast sizing is large.

I love their clothes though!

DonaAna Fri 04-Mar-11 13:36:36

I had a terrible experience with Toast this winter. I ordered a pair of expensive Chie Mihara shoes. They were lost during the process of delivery or delivered to the wrong address. Their customer service promised to help to find out what happened with the courier service, but it's proving a nightmare. My credit card has been charged, I didn't receive the package, and e-mailing back and forth hasn't solved the issue.

mummydarlingsausage Fri 04-Mar-11 16:27:34

Donaana i have always received packages from toast no signature required. They really should change this. I ordered a pair of boots for £200 once and they left them on my doorstep when i was out. I didn't discover them unil the next day as we use our back door - i was really pissed off because someone could have taken them.
To the op i always size down in tunics and I don't mind paying more as they seem to last well and don't date (god that makes me sound old!)

Chandon Fri 04-Mar-11 16:36:43

I find their clothes strangely unflattering

missmehalia Fri 04-Mar-11 16:38:38

Their things are totally overpriced. Very, very ordinary when you see them in the shop.

brimfull Fri 04-Mar-11 16:38:45

I got a nice boyfriend cardi in the sale but yes it is enormous

niminypiminy Fri 04-Mar-11 17:27:08

The thing with toast is to buy very carefully (at those prices who can afford to buy something they don't really like?). I've had quite a lot of things and know now which of their shapes suit me, sometimes sizing down and sometimes staying my proper size which is 14.

I think toast is great if you like quite plain and unadorned things. As frills and anything feminine make me look like a man in drag it works for me. The colours are sometimes too neutral, but on the other hand I've got a beautiful silk dress which a friend told me reminded him of the northern lights on magic mushrooms.

IngridBergmann Fri 04-Mar-11 18:21:39

It's a strange one for sure.

I only have a few of their sale things which were still expensive - some are a bit ordinary, I avoid all the tunicky, sheety things and stick to more fitted stuff. Some things have been really beautiful and outstanding in terms of quality.

Another mum at school told me out of the blue that I should be a toast model! Which was weird, actually not that weird as I am not pretty and neither are their models half the time grin But I thanked her anyway!

I tend to buy about threee things per year in the sale. And wear them a lot.

Some stuff is indeed huge and other stuff (fitted dresses) leave no room for maneouvre so I've had to size up to a 12.

dedee Fri 04-Mar-11 18:53:56

Hi

Toast is very over-priced and nothing jumps out and
says 'buy me , buy me' apart from the Manjula Coat which i wont be buying,

madamimadam Fri 04-Mar-11 19:05:47

I used to love their stuff but the last few things I've ordered have been really shoddy. Badly finished and fall apart very quickly. A pair of their velvet slippers started to fray within a week - and I'd hardly been doing intensive stair walking in them or something. hmm

It's a pity as some things are really pretty. Though would scare the horses if you weren't a supermodel.

What do you think of the latest Home catalogue? (I wish their pottery was dishwasher friendly...)

vesela Sun 06-Mar-11 20:54:00

As niminypiminy said, you get to know after a while what's likely to suit you and what isn't. I know which tunic you mean, and I know that it would make me look huge.

The things I've ordered from Toast have either been very very nice (burnt orange velvet dress, couple of fitted tunic dresses, cowl-necked knitted dress, cord skirt, swingy silk skirt) or obvious no-nos that have gone back, but as a result I now know to steer clear of anything with gathers at the top (like the "Bedouin" tunic, which would surely only look good on a size 8) and anything described as "slightly A-line."

Oh, and their wool/Tencel long-sleeved T-shirts make excellent base layers for skiing etc. (warm and fast-drying).

I wish they'd use the ordinary Royal Mail sign-for, though.

vesela Sun 06-Mar-11 21:00:31

also a good rule of thumb seems to be that if it says relaxed/easy on the size & fit tab then size down, if it says true to size, get your normal size.

FGM Sun 06-Mar-11 21:18:44

just occassionally I find a gem at Toast but I do have to look hard and often wait until sale time. Had no problem with quality and have only chosen fairly fitted things or footwear. My 2 fave pairs of spring summer shoes/ boots are from there.
Sometimes I will browse just to snigger at the tent-like "chemises" wink

higgle Mon 07-Mar-11 13:23:29

I find a lot of their stuff is broing and overpriced, but when I have something that is "right" from them it is a huge sucess. At present I'm wering a striped jersey v necked top I've had for about 4 years and is still like new. I have a cord skirt ( their cord skirts are wonderful quality) that is always admired and a velvet jeans style skirt that will go on forever. I'm thinking about one of their jackets this summer, just a questionof which one.

BlackBag Mon 07-Mar-11 13:58:54

The Post Office has made a lot of money with me sending things back but some on the most worn things in my wardrobe are Toast. I now have four long coats, lots of waistcoats, strings of beads but have never been able to get the 'over size' stuff to work for me, just looks poorly made.

Got a fantastic pair of pajama haram trousers in the sale, great fit & quality. Also bought a 'normal' pair - absolutely terrible, drawstring fell out in two weeks, weird shape.

Anyone recommend/not touch with a barge pole the linen bedding...

Rannaldini Mon 07-Mar-11 14:02:35

the clothes are so expensive as they literally have enough material for two or three garments

pissing annoying

pollywolly9 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:25:11

Nil points to Toast. I bought a cardi and it is unwearably bobbled after two wearings and they refused to give me a refund as they had a disclaimer on their site. I had felt loyalty to this company and have loved their clothes but I see now that my loyalty was misplaced. Their knitwear is increasingly subject to bobbling,so watch out folks. They don't give a damn about you as a valued customer!!

Bensyster Mon 20-Feb-17 23:15:11

I have the linen bedding - I got it on sale - I wish it had proper fastenings - I'm going to add them - to stop the bib falling out.
I usually buy a few pieces each season - I like their style...

reuset Mon 20-Feb-17 23:19:03

Massive sizing! Quality ok if you can find something not resembling a bell tent.

reuset Mon 20-Feb-17 23:19:31

Zombie thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now