Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Reunion - what on earth do I wear??? Help!!

(16 Posts)
stringbean Wed 12-Jan-11 22:14:47

I hope this doesn't sound shallow but here goes. Someone I knew about 25 years ago has just phoned me up out of the blue; she's coming to the UK next week (lives abroad) and wants to meet up. It was lovely to hear from her but has thrown me a bit. She was the ultimate rich girl - very wealthy family, designer stuff at a young age (which, as a teenager was a bit lost on me at the time) - and no doubt extremely glamorous now. I've no idea what we will do when we meet (it will be in London) and have no idea what to wear. I tend to live in jeans when not at work, but not sure that this will cut it. Any suggestions for something that will be suitable and give me confidence (she exuded it as a teenager)? As luck would have it, I'm having a haircut on Saturday, so I guess that's a start. Thank you!!

Gillybobs Wed 12-Jan-11 22:34:59

Its got to be a little dress, nothing too dressy, maybe something in jersey or a nice print fabric. You could wear a little cardi with it, depending if its day or evening. Given the cold weather I'd probably team it with nice knee high boots.

Def get your nails done too, I'd paint them a rich dark colour (I love purple, navy or black right now), its a great confidence booste

stringbean Thu 13-Jan-11 19:59:57

Oh gosh, Gilly, do I really have to wear a dress? I'm not sure I've got one (other than a 20 year old eveningy thing!). I do have knee boots and a nice coat though. Can I get away with jeans (dark ones) <hopeful emoticon>?!

Gillybobs Thu 13-Jan-11 20:03:34

In that case Id wear jeans with a nice floaty blouse type top. Make sure you've got your lipgloss on and your nails done and I'll let you off with not wearing a dress : )

stringbean Thu 13-Jan-11 20:08:29

Phew - thank you!! I agree that a lot of it is about grooming and feeling confident. I've never had my nails 'done' so maybe I should treat myself. I'm really looking forward to meeting her, but just recall feeling like the proverbial country bumpkin by comparison.

Gillybobs Thu 13-Jan-11 21:53:01

We all know people who make us feel that way - its madness! Hold your head high and enjoy x

Oblomov Thu 13-Jan-11 22:18:50

You have ot be comfortable. But please dress samrt. Not OTT. BUt jeans just won't do. If I asked my closest school-mum-friend what she thought i should wear she would say, oh your work black trousers, very slimming and a spangely top.
Do you have such a friend to ask, which of your outfits she thinks you look best in ?
I am a bit worried for you. You don't sound very confiddent and I am worried thta this is not going to go well for you. I hope it does. Chin up and tell her all about your lovely children, dh etc etc.

bambiandthumper Thu 13-Jan-11 22:20:57

Ooh Jilly I love finding clothes for this sorta thing

What is your colouring and whats your budget roughly speaking?

bambiandthumper Thu 13-Jan-11 22:21:19

Gilly blush , sorry!

bambiandthumper Thu 13-Jan-11 22:35:39

Had a look anyway

Very easily dressed down but still 'nice'
Far more casual
If you have a good figure would be fab, but maybe a bit much
possibly a bit too summery
Pretty

Gillybobs Fri 14-Jan-11 08:27:31

Hi Bambi, Im not the OP : )

bambiandthumper Fri 14-Jan-11 12:59:21

Oh god sorry stringbean
I think I probably need some sleep

bambiandthumper Fri 14-Jan-11 12:59:40

that was meant to be a blush

stringbean Fri 14-Jan-11 17:49:19

Thank you for your posts. I guess the problem is that I have no idea what we will do. Lunch? Shops? It will be during the day. I do have some black work trousers, as Oblomov suggested, but the shoes I wear with them would not be comfortable for London (OK for sitting at a desk though). My dh says 'just be yourself' - but I don't think blokes really get it, do theyhmm. I have tried on a few things today from my wardrobe however, and with aforementioned coat (which is a recent purchase from the Hobbs outlet) I looked reasonably 'together'. As a friend of mine said 'who knows, she may weigh 20 stone by now' (but I doubt that will be the case!).

stringbean Fri 14-Jan-11 17:51:58

One other question - probably not for this thread, but may as well give it a go - do I take a present? If so, what? She used to come and stay with my family and always arrived with lovely gifts, but what do you get for the woman who probably has everything?

bambiandthumper Fri 14-Jan-11 17:57:57

I would wear skinnies with boots with a small heel over the top and a nice top. Otherwise I would wear a day dress, maybe a wrap one or something with boots, which would be a bit smarter. Just wear a low heel and that wil cover most eventualities.

If your just meeting her for lunch I probably wouldn't bring her anything assuming you split the bill....or is she offering to take you out? Otherwise you could offer to pay for the both of you. Could you suggest something and then you know what your are doing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: