Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Skin problems cleared now pg

(6 Posts)
lucamom Wed 12-Jan-11 22:03:12

I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same - whilst still breastfeeding my youngest a year or so ago, I developed red spots under the skin on my cheeks, and general 'bad' skin (not oily and often felt dry even though spotty) - a course of antibiotics from docs didn't clear it up, but now I'm pg (only 5 weeks) it's all cleared up and my skin's looking better than ever.

I've always thought it was a hormonal problem, although doctor didn't really know, so does anyone have an idea what might be causing it, that pregnancy now apparently 'cures'?

Thanks x

TheLemur Thu 13-Jan-11 12:03:03

I was the same as you, great skin during pregnancy and bf but when I started weaning the spots returned (especially massive ones on the cheeks whose scars lasted ages)

I have no idea how/why it works but would love to know so I could get rid of my spots without having to be pregnant!

letsblowthistacostand Thu 13-Jan-11 13:03:53

Yep. A lot of my skin probs went away while I was pg and came back when I stopped bfing. I went on the pill and it's helped a lot.

CointreauVersial Thu 13-Jan-11 23:19:07

Deffo hormonal.

I stopped the pill when ttc, and my skin immediately became a nightmare - I even developed acne all over my back (gross).

The doctor suggested I hurry up and get pg, and sure enough it cleared up the moment I conceived.

Luckily it has settled down now.

Havingkittens Thu 13-Jan-11 23:49:49

I'm the opposite. Had pretty good skin before becoming pregnant 3 1/2 years ago and it's been shocking ever since sad

mum295 Fri 14-Jan-11 12:35:01

I have bad skin normally, which also clears up when pregnant.

I finally went to see a private dermatologist last year (before I conceived DC2 - am currently pg). Expensive at £90 for the appointment, but when you think of all the money you spend on skin creams and gels, chasing a cure...

She prescribed Retin-A gel. The prescription cost something like £8 from the pharmacy. I also bought a cleansing wash from her for £26 that contained salycic acid, similar effect to gentle exfoliating. The Retin-A gel supposedly balances out skin. So it prevents surplus oil creation and encourages skin plumping. It's not a cosmetic product - very much medical packaging, no frills.

It worked for me, my skin cleared up after a few weeks...then I got pregnant and had to stop using it. But the hormones have kicked in and seem to be doing their job now.

Although it was expensive, I would advise saving your money on all those creams and going to see a professional - worked for me and wish I had done it sooner.

One other note is that I read adult acne can be a sign of Poly-cystic ovaries, so might be worth looking into if you are ttc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: