Talk

Advanced search

I have had a revelation - I can wear dresses

(17 Posts)
Northernlurker Wed 12-Jan-11 15:35:52

I haven't worn dresses for years but recently I've bought first one then two then a third in the Boden sale. Worn one on Christmas Day and to a wedding and now one for work. It was lovely, comfortable and feminine - something I haven't 'done' for a long time - ever really.

I feel exhilarated smile I am a bit of a tricky shape - size 22, big boobs, short legs - but you know what nobody fainted in horror at the sight of me. I would never have thought a dress (or three) could have such and effect on me grin

Just wanted to share that - because it's reading threads on here that's got me thinking I should make more of an effort.

Rugbylovingmum Wed 12-Jan-11 16:10:09

Ooo, interesting. I am a size 18, big boobs and short legs but I also have wide shoulders and quite a big tummy. I'd love to start wearing dresses and skirts but I just don't have the confidence. I always end up in black trousers and loose tops to hide the belly - not feminine or flattering really. What style did you go for - can you do some links?

It's great that you are feeling so feminine and confident grin.

Northernlurker Wed 12-Jan-11 16:20:53

I got the wrap dress www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Clearance/Womens-Dresses/Kne e-Length-Dresses/WH216/Womens-Jersey-Wrap-Dress.ht ml?NavGroupID=4 in the purple - that was for Christmas and wedding but will also wear it for work. (The BRIDE at the wedding said what a nice dress it was grin) I also got this in Haze and [[http://www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Clearance/Womens-Dr esses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH212/Womens-Wool-Jersey -Dress.html?NavGroupID=4 this] in brown. It was the brown one I wore today. You will notice all these dresses have plenty of drape grin It's nobody's business but mine how I look and I feel great in all of these.

Northernlurker Wed 12-Jan-11 16:22:09

Sorry I can do links!

brown

wrap

Soups Wed 12-Jan-11 16:24:15

I started to wear dresses after a break of over a decade, this year you can't get me out of them I discovered that short dresses with leggings / thick tights and long boots is very easy to wear. Comfortable, practical and looks like I've made an effort grin

Northernlurker Wed 12-Jan-11 16:32:38

Yes exactly - it looks like you've bothered doesn't it grin It's about 13 years for me apart from at a wedding or two. The last 'day' dress I had was maternity wear for dd1 (now approaching 13)

brabbinsandfyffe Wed 12-Jan-11 17:14:59

Me too me too! Have tried two last week which were too short and too 'sack of potato-ey' and now got one I love today. First dress for years

HelloMyNameIsHilda Wed 12-Jan-11 17:20:42

northernlurker - they look fab and I bet you do too! anything that makes you feel good generally translates into looking good too I find. I think dresses are A Great Thing and often much easier and let's face it more flattering to wear than the ubiquitous jeans that look great if you are the right shape and pretty awful otherwise (though I do insist on reaching for them most days I am trying to wean myself off the habit) - well done you. Hope you buy lots more dresses and continue to look and feel great

(ps am prob gonna buy that purple dress now and would go for the haze if they still had it in the blue and brown combo - and its ALL YOUR FAULTgrin)

Celery Wed 12-Jan-11 17:35:42

I did this facebook thing last month, called Dressember. Wore a different dress every day for the whole of the month ( begged, borrowed and ebayed most of them ). I'd only ever worn jeans before that. I am completely coverted and haven't worn jeans since. Well, I did put a pair on, on the 1st January, but they were so uncomfortable, I had to take them straight back off again.

I know it shouldn't matter, but I have had a lot of male attention, where as before I had none.

blowbroth Wed 12-Jan-11 18:02:49

Thanks Northern! You have inspired me and I've ordered thisin black!
I got a dress from tkmaxx after not having worn a dress in ages and got so many compliments I'm on the look out for more.
Thanks for the links!

polyhymnia Wed 12-Jan-11 18:09:53

Have also been encouraged to oreder the wool jersey dress - had been put off by mixed reviews. I realise it may not fit me as well as you because I'm 22 but also tall and broad-shouldered - but worth a try at the price. I like dresses a lot, though also love tunics with straight jeans or jeggings - have found it generally much easier to get a good fit in Boden tunics than in their dresses.

Northernlurker Wed 12-Jan-11 18:12:19

grin

polyhymnia Wed 12-Jan-11 18:14:39

PS - don't like my tunics too 'loose', though. Like to give them some definition by adding a belt - Boden are good at doing those in larger sizes. Otherwise, look like a ship in full sail! Having a waist is one of the good things about a dress. Would encourage anyone to have the confidence to try one, whatever their size.

Babyramone Wed 12-Jan-11 20:44:00

I'd love to wear a dress or at least tunic with leggingd but Iam a size 18 fairly busty, no waist and massively big calves.

Northernlurker Wed 12-Jan-11 20:59:44

Baby you don't need a waist for a dress - they make their own if you get something that srapes smile My calves are not small - I'm just going for sonething that's just under on the knee - but seriously who spends their time looking at somebody's calves? I don't. Bust is another issue - it's in your face so to speak - ut legs really? As long as there isn't too much on display I reckon we can get away with it - and I don't care anyway because I feel brilliant!

polyhymnia Wed 12-Jan-11 23:27:02

Anyway, dresses look great with boots this time of year.

Northernlurker Wed 12-Jan-11 23:45:14

Yes but you need to get boots with a wider top - not always easy if you are on a budget.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now