Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Skin - Care and attention needed

(20 Posts)
Ooopsadaisy Tue 11-Jan-11 08:35:12

I wasn't sure if this should be posted under health or this one so sorry if I'm wrong.

In winter my face gets really blotchy and dry.

In my 20s and 30s I just looked a bit wintry and pale.

Now in my 40s I look shit.

I need a moisturiser (or something) that gives my skin a bit of shine and a major nourishment or something.

As you can tell - I don't really do creams 'n stuff so have no idea what to buy. I am also on a knicker-clenching, arse-aching budget so please don't suggest anything expensive.

Any advice, please.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 11-Jan-11 09:06:50

I'm being naughty and bumping my own post.

Have now had shower (day off - I am not a complete skank) and skin is now peeling and even drier.

Desperately need advice before I turn into an old witch.

(Actually I'm going shopping and hoped you lovely MNers would have some advice for me before I go.)

SerendipityAlways Tue 11-Jan-11 09:12:11

Oops - Exfoliate, exfoliate! You should pick up something inexpensive in Boots. I use the dermalogica daily microexfoliant which while a bit pricey initially lasts for ever and is a very gentle yet effective exfoliater.

I'm the same age as you and understand where you're comign from - I'm starting a course of glycolic peels next week which hopefully will transform my dull skin also!

SerendipityAlways Tue 11-Jan-11 09:16:36

Re moisturiser - you cant beat The Body Shops Vitamin E moisturiser, and not too pricey either!

Ooopsadaisy Tue 11-Jan-11 09:18:02

OMG!!!!!!

Exfoliate? Isn't that for feet?

What about moisurising it again - what to do?

This is my face we're talking about and I already look like a wrinkled, smacked arse.

Gycolic peels? Should I write a will?

SerendipityAlways Tue 11-Jan-11 09:23:38

LOL - exfoliate gently and then moisturise - its very effective and wont tear your skin or anything. You can get very gentle exfoliation scrubs, Boots will have a good selection. I think someone on another thread here suggested one of the Boots Soap and Glory range? Again not too pricey.

There are some beauty therapists/experts who post regularly on MN so hopefully one of them will come to your aid also with more advice!

LindyHemming Tue 11-Jan-11 09:23:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pancakeflipper Tue 11-Jan-11 09:25:16

I am using Liz Earle cleanse and polish ( with a cloth) and my skin deffo looks brighter.

I got it for Christmas. Think I might get the moisturiser too.

Pancakeflipper Tue 11-Jan-11 09:26:31

Sorry - missed the not-expensive bit. On a budget try the Lush - Angels on Bare Back ( think it is called that). It's a facial scrub and I use it a few times a week. Very good.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 11-Jan-11 09:28:03

Thanks Serendipity.

I am hopeless at this kind of thing.

If I had lot of £££££ I would try a few different things. Even then I might not know what was working and what wasn't.

Don't usually worry about my looks but I don't want to look unhealthy and haggard.

I have always been lucky with really good, fresh, clean looking, tanned skin.

Looks like age is against me.

CeliaFate Tue 11-Jan-11 09:49:22

Olive oil warmed in a the microwave for a few seconds, until it's warm to touch.
Handful of sugar.
Rub GENTLY in circular motions around your face (not your eyes!)
Rinse off.

A good flannel will exfoliate you too.

Oilatum in the bath - ask doc for prescription if they're free for you.
Same for Diprobase emollient.

Cheap and effective!

CeliaFate Tue 11-Jan-11 09:49:57

Sorry, to clarify, you mix the olive oil and sugar together before rubbing it on your face!

Ooopsadaisy Wed 12-Jan-11 09:43:36

CeliaFate - thank you.

I went shopping and was scared off by all the different stuff I found (I don't usually venture into the beauty aisles!) so I bought nothing - what a wimp!

Got home and saw CeliaFate's advice and have olive oil and sugar in the kitchen so I gave it a try.

Felt a bit of a dill-pot but it's wonderful!

I am a new woman!

I am transformed!

Went out to the cinema last night and saw a friend who said "you look good - are you wearing make-up?"

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CeliaFate Wed 12-Jan-11 11:34:00

Yay! grin

hugebelly Wed 12-Jan-11 21:03:51

E45 cream is great and you'll save £££s in the process.

If you want it to smell nice you can buy some essential oils and add a fews drops to make your own moisturiser. Perhaps Rose and Patchouli as these are recommended for dry skin.

Ooopsadaisy Thu 13-Jan-11 08:40:32

Thanks hugebelly - any other money savings ideas we can share?

As an absolute ignoramous of anything "beauty product" related, I would much prefer to use natural ingrediants rather than fancy, over-priced stuff that is advertised on TV and mags.

I can't even afford the mags never mind the stuff they advertise!

The olive oil and sugar was fantastic. I still feel great and have a sort of healthy look, two days later. Highly recommnended.

All ides welcome .....

hugebelly Thu 13-Jan-11 21:29:12

Well, another top tip to moisturise the body is to add baby oil to your bath, so as you get out you have a lovely coating of oil that you can just rub in as your dry yourself. Supermarket brand is fine and you save money on body lotion.

Pippaandpolly Thu 13-Jan-11 22:21:31

I think the easiest way to exfoliate is to use a muslin/flannel with whatever your cleanser is - v. gentle and no extra cost! I am a Liz Earle nut and am obsessed with her Cleanse and Polish, toner and moisturiser - C&P comes with muslins so I tend to use those rather than flannels as they're slightly less rough and I have quite sensitive skin.

Oil and salt (instead of sugar so it's finer) is great for your body - if you ever get those annoying little bumps on your upper arms (which I do and I hate) then rubbing that mixture on damp skin for a few mins before rinsing in the shower makes a huge difference.

You can also use oil as your facial cleanser - almond is great but it could really even be olive (though you might smell a bit salady!). It won't make you oily despite what you'd think, and actually is great at encouraging your skin to produce exactly the right amount of sebum, where strong cleansers can strip natural oil from your skin, encouraging it to over-produce oil to make up for it, resulting in spots. Just massage in a few drops and then rinse off with a flannel/muslin/cotton wool. Doesn't work for eye make up though!

BR44 Fri 14-Jan-11 09:49:16

My face also tends to get a bit dry and blotchy in winter, especially when I spend time in places with central heating. By far the best (and definitely the cheapest) treatment I have found is Vaseline, smeared on my face before bed. Be liberal- it feels like it's too greasy but it sinks right in overnight and really improves the look of the skin. A litte tub lasts forever, too.

CountBapula Fri 14-Jan-11 09:57:38

I have v dry skin and use oil on my face at night. Clarins Huile Santal is my fave (pricey but my mum got me some for xmas - yay!) but when I don't have the cash I use the facial oil by The Sanctuary (from Boots) or good old Bio Oil. Using it at night means it has time to absorb and you don't have to worry about being shiny. You wake up soft as a baby's proverbials ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: