Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Thick Wavy Hair short for the first time how do I keep it from frizzing?

(16 Posts)
annieapple2 Mon 10-Jan-11 10:37:10

I really need some advice on styling my hair after I have had it cut.
I have had long hair all my life (25 for those that wish to know ) due to a very big phobia of the hair dressers but after 4 years of having my hair timed by my great Home hair dresser and a lot of change for the better I really want to go for it and have my hair short.

I have put a picture of my hair now and how I want to have it on my profile (hope you can all see them). I am for the first time ever very very excited to have my hair done next week.
How ever my problem is currently my hair is very thick. I just brush it and put it up cus as soon as it is brushed it goes frizzy unless I sit there and twist it all back in to ringlets.

How do I get it to look nice and carm after it is cut?
I have tried frizzy hair serums but they make me itch and don't work so what do I do?

I us a lot of Lush conditioner each month which works to make it look good and healthy looking for a few days but have no idea on how to style it or what brush to us to keep the curly / wavy look nice not frizzy...

ChippedChinaTeacup Mon 10-Jan-11 10:43:22

wow what an amazing colour!!!

My hair looks like yours when I brush it so I don't apart from when I wash it and it's wet. Other days I just damp it down and it curls up.

No idea how to maintain it when it's short tho.

Sorry.. that was no help at all was it?

annieapple2 Mon 10-Jan-11 11:16:57

The colour is from the Lush Henna it lasts so much better then any other red.
I have to say I only wash my hair twice a week due to it taking hours and hours to dry at the min and it does look better (hair good days ) so I will definitely try that. I think I will look out for a spray so I can dampen it down a bit see if it keeps the curls better like that.
Thank you ChippedChinaTeacup

I have to say that apart from the colour and trying the odd thing here and there I have been really bad at styling my hair in the past because I have always been scared blush to ask for advise.

Till now grin

hairbygeorgina Mon 10-Jan-11 11:30:19

Hi I'm a Mobile hairdresser and i have thick frizzy hair! There are so many things you can do, serum is the easiest short term solution, with wet hair add a small amount of serum to the ends brush into place and leave it to dry, you get a lots of frizz when it comes to brushing when the hair is dry, so if it can dry into a calm style there's no need to brush afterwards. This works for me but i wanted a more long term solution and i did a lot of research on this because there are lots of treatments which damages the hair.
Brazilian blow dries are fabulous, it is designed for de-frizzing hair whatever the length, it simply adds keratin back into the hair which we have a lot of when we're born but after the stress of drying and dying we loose a large amount. Its simply blow dried back in to the hair and sealed in with straighteners and for 3 months after your hair is baby soft and frizz free! prices start at £90 for your bobbed hair but i wouldn't live without it! Have a look at my website for more details, good luck.

www.hairbygeorgina.co.uk

annieapple2 Mon 10-Jan-11 20:05:55

Thanks for the link hairbygeorgina but would the Brazilian blow dry not make my hair straight all the time, I like the wavy curl just not the frizz. Sorry I'm a total novice to any hair treatments.

singingcat Mon 10-Jan-11 20:11:08

Do not brush!

I have hair the length of the second photo, just below chin, and it is curly. I wash it, put serum or similar on it then leave to air dry, or put it back in a headband and leave to air dry (makes it a bit straighter for some reason)

Havingkittens Mon 10-Jan-11 20:19:58

Brazilian blowdry won't make your hair straight, just smoother so it will still have a natural wave just not frizzy or fluffy from what I understand. I'm about to have it done to mine and am excited about the prospect of not looking like a member of an 80s poodle hair band whenever it's slightly damp out.

I have also just started using a shampoo from Lush (which I will have to stop using after the Brazilian thing due to the salt in it sadly), it's called Cynthia Sylvia Stout and it's great for fluffy fine hair, it's really made it thicker and smoother which is a big improvement.

willybreeder Mon 10-Jan-11 20:20:49

I have had long wavy/curly hair for years and was using a variety of different curl products to stop frizz. Found that never brushing, always conditioning and applying lots of product on damp hair and twirling around helped.
However I'm working my way through all the products and soon going to go on the the curly girl method where you never use shampoo and minimum products that don't contain cones. The website will tell you more and there's been loads of threads on MN raving about it.
Hope that helps smile

hairbygeorgina Tue 11-Jan-11 19:32:00

Havingkittens is right you dont loose the natural wave so you also dont lose volume, very important!!

ENormaSnob Tue 11-Jan-11 21:14:54

I have naturally curly hair that is frizzy if brushed.

I only brush it when its wet, apply plenty of product and use good conditioner.

TCOB Tue 11-Jan-11 21:30:05

I have very bushy curly hair (very long at the moment) and last week - for the frist time ever - I was so pissed off with its straw-like texture that I left in a bit of conditioner (just on the ends). I wrapped it in a towel, slept on it and when I woke up it was the frizz-free gorgeousness I had aolways dreamed of. And there was no greasiness 'cause it was not near the roots. I've since tried Frizz Ease, 3 minute miracle and those sachets you get with hair dye and left them on dampy hair and the results are awesome.

TheVisitor Tue 11-Jan-11 21:35:12

Your hair is very similar to mine when it's longer. Mine is currently shoulder length with long layers in. I use John Frieda Frizzeze serum on soaking wet hair, before putting a towel on. Then, when the hair has stopped dripping and is just wet, I spray it with Aussie Miracle leave in conditioner if I'm going to leave it to dry by itself and comb through with a wide toothed comb. If I diffuse it I use Frizzeze curl booster spray. I also use the curl booster spray on dry hair on none hair wash days. I NEVER brush my hair when it's dry. My hair now dries in ringlets. grin

cruelladepoppins Tue 11-Jan-11 22:42:37

I don't wash my hair every day but I do wet it every morning and run the afro comb through it to detangle, then it's John Frieda "Secret Agent", works for me.

Quenelle Wed 12-Jan-11 15:17:24

I never brush or comb my hair. I put Trevor Sorbie Curl Cream in it when wet and scrunch it up.

mathanxiety Wed 12-Jan-11 16:18:21

You should never brush it.

Sorry to say I don't think you'll be able to achieve the effect you want with a haircut, but more like this. The model's hair is thin and not naturally curly or wavy. Yours is and would take a lot of work every day to look even slightly like that.

I recommend the Curly Girl Method (threads here in S & B) and getting a dry cut from someone who knows how to cut curly hair. You will need to ask and ask and ask until you get a good recommendation.

plantwoman Wed 12-Jan-11 19:46:43

You have amazing hair - personally I wouldn't cut it, it's so lovely!
Have you tried the curlygirl method? where you cut out all silicones and wash it with conditioner? (look on the British curlies website for the proper info)
I have try it every now and then and i did find it worked, it's important though to brush your hair when it's wet only.
I used a paddle brush and combed it through whilst I was still in the shower, even towel drying can rough up the cuticles and make it frizzy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: