Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Anyone managed to dye over or fade their henna'd hair ?

(9 Posts)
prettywhiteguitar Sun 09-Jan-11 18:57:30

I've been dying my mousey blonde hair red and fancy going back to blonde....

I have time on my hands what can I say

queenrollo Sun 09-Jan-11 19:17:01

you can't use chemical dyes on your hair once it's had henna on it.
I used henna on mine (which is mousey brown) and it didn't go as red as i wanted. I waited four months and then tried to take it down to dark brown and ended up having to crop my hair (and I do mean crop) because it absolutely ruined my hair.
As far as I'm aware trying to strip the pigment out will be even harder as it's peroxide that really reacts badly with henna.
Sorry.

CarGirl Sun 09-Jan-11 19:18:18

I have naturally red hair and used henna as a teen - I had to grow it out, it didn't even really fade after years.......fortunately it was a similar shade so wasn't hugely noticable!

MayorNaze Sun 09-Jan-11 19:20:02

i have dark brown hair and dyed over henna when literally the last inch of my hair was still henna red (dyed it dark brown as looked a bit piebald)

it worked ok but hennad bits were darker and duller than rest. didn't look terrible but didn't look great either

not much help since you're blond but never mind...

prettywhiteguitar Sun 09-Jan-11 19:33:10

thanks guys, I suppose I will learn not to just change my hair on a whim eventually !

I like the colour and the hennas been really good for my hair but I look too much like my mum ! I might just go really short

glovesoflove Sun 09-Jan-11 21:06:48

I dyed over Lush red henna with L'oreal Casting with good results but it was also a red shade and my hair was in REALLY good condition...you won't get back to blonde without chopping it off though, sorry!

I loved Posh's really short hair, you could have it like that but blonde.

CountessVonKnackerstein Sun 09-Jan-11 21:12:22

I had bleach blonde hair and then used henna on top. Went bottle green.
Not a good look. Had to wash hair in persil to try to fade it, eventually had to grow it out.

prettywhiteguitar Mon 10-Jan-11 12:53:32

well just to update I used vinegar on my hair last night and it faded a little so I think I may be able to keep growing it out and fading it slightly !

Hennas a funny one isn't it ? I had great results, I think if I was naturally dark i'd be happy to keep doing it to cover my greys but I think i don't really suit dark hair

glovesoflove Tue 11-Jan-11 11:03:01

I really like the colour I get with henna but I just don't have the time to wander about with what looks like manure on my head for five hours every six weeks! Good luck with your vinegar

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: