Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can you lovely ladies do a Saturday night Gok-style makeover on me online??!

(19 Posts)
gokmepleasegirls Sat 08-Jan-11 21:52:05

Right, for reasons I won't bore you with, I want to get a bit glam and sexy.

I've never been a very sexy gal (used to work in a very male dominated field and wanted to hide that side of things) and want to feel better about myself and look HOT but not muttony.

In the absence of a certain Mr Wan to make me look good naked (and clothed), I'd love it if you lot could help me out.

I've namechanged for this btw.

OK here's some key info: I'm a short arse at 5ft2, large of buttocks, small of boobs (not a great combination), legs of a 60 year old cart horse. Size 10ish on top 12 ish on bum.
Slight pot belly thanks to ds.

Am I selling myself here?

Face looks youngish for my age (soon to be 38), dark long hair just highlighted so no probs there. Wear specs and am not keen on contacts.

I do look quite reasonable most of the time BUT just not sexy. I wear jeans, tunics, knee boots etc a lot at the moment. I don't feel sexy at all. Help! How can I get sexy but still look stylish and practical.

Meggles76 Sat 08-Jan-11 22:08:03

Well, Gok always starts with good underwear. I always feel much better when I am wearing a matching set that fits well and is flattering.

Use a body moisturiser, paint your toenails a dark blood red colour (Chanel rouge noir is good), get rid of unwanted body hair.

Perfume also makes me feel nice... Currently wearing chanel.

I am also short with a slightly larger arse than I would like. I think I wear similar stuff to you. I feel good in jersey dresses with opaques and heels and a statement necklace.

No idea if this is what you were wanting to hear!

gokmepleasegirls Sat 08-Jan-11 22:16:53

Definitely need an underwear makeover! I am stuck in a rut with plain black lacy high legs and plain black bras.

Already paint toenails dark, use moisturiser and mostly depilate.

I think it's as much an attitude change i need. Like I need to believe I am sexy when I don't really feel it!

Meggles76 Sat 08-Jan-11 22:21:34

You're right. You need to feel confident about yourself. In my work, an exercise that I get people to do is make a list of 5 things that they like about themselves. We all need to remind ourselves of our positives from time to time

gokmepleasegirls Sat 08-Jan-11 22:28:06

Oh dear I can only think of three....my face is probably quite pretty and youngish for age, boobs aren't saggy (but small) and erm I like the colour of my hair sad

florencepink Sat 08-Jan-11 22:39:11

well from your measurements lady, you aren't big of bum at all! erm what about a dress with your knee boots- maybe empire line to skim over stomach area that finishes on the knee? agree with the statement jewellery and good underwear.

gokmepleasegirls Sat 08-Jan-11 23:02:28

I definitely need to stop wearing jeans quite so much. Any dress suggestions would be great.

I think I need to stop wearing so much neutral stuff that's not masculine but not really glad or sexy.

Minione Sat 08-Jan-11 23:08:08

I wouldn't wear empire line if you have a bit of a tum but not actually fat. I thought this was flattering, looked fine when I was a 10 but as a 12 with a post pregnancy pot belly I look, well, pregnant! You sound a simialr shape to me but I'm a bit taller, what are your shoulders like?

SevenAgainstThebes Sat 08-Jan-11 23:13:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gokmepleasegirls Sat 08-Jan-11 23:25:19

Thanks so far for your ideas.

I have a couple of pairs of Top Shop Baxters which I really like but will check out the others.

Minione - I've had that problem too with empire line - seems to actually look worse on me than a slimmer fitting top.

Shoulders are quite broad for a short arse - I'm not one of those tiny little bird like people - am not fat really but quite chunky and slightly wobbly.

Not that keen on my legs but they look passable with opaques and heels.

Have had stuff in my life which has really shot my confidence in my body to pieces in recent years. I guess it shows from the comments above!

SevenAgainstThebes Sat 08-Jan-11 23:30:55

gokmepleasegirls Sat 08-Jan-11 23:37:50

Like the oasis one best - seems a bit Mad Men look. Quite like Phase Eight one and the last one too. Not so keen on the other one. So given you don't know me that's pretty darn impressive for suggestions.

I like plain non fussy stuff really but need to be more feminine / sexy. I buy a lot in Gap at the moment.

MilliONaire Sat 08-Jan-11 23:52:37

Why oh why did i open this thread???

SevenAgainstThebes, I just bought that Phase8 dress - LOVE it & what a bargain!!!!!!

If my husband divorces me, I will blame you grin

I loved all the dresses you linked to in fact!! Good work!

OP, hope you get something that suits you too smile

PonceyMcPonce Sat 08-Jan-11 23:57:05

SevenAgainstThebes Sun 09-Jan-11 00:11:22

SevenAgainstThebes Sun 09-Jan-11 00:14:20

gokmepleasegirls Sun 09-Jan-11 10:39:15

ha ha millionaire!
I had an idea in bed last night....what about doing some sort of sexy dance class to feel more that way? I am cr*p at dancing but could give it a go?

MilliONaire Sun 09-Jan-11 12:01:48

Seven - I had to confess to him this morning!! I really love that dress and just hope it fits, note to self, stop scoffing dd's chocolate and all the left over mince pies. I have a very good friends 40th coming up soon and I want to wear it to that night out. I mean HOW could anyone resist that for £29!!! grin

elaela Tue 11-Jan-11 13:59:54

Hi, i need help pls!
I am 48 and i steel don't know what to wear. I am size 14 on top but small breast(34 b), 8 ish on bum. What i can wear to feel like a women not like a men. What underwear do you suggestto help to enlarge my hips?
Thanks a lot

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: