Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

All my jeans fall down! time to give up?

(21 Posts)
Chocaholica Thu 06-Jan-11 18:42:48

I've always had the problem that jeans slide off my hips. I am apple shaped and have a small waist/hip ratio. Even pre-DC, jeans slid down. Now, with muffin-top even more pronounced, they don't just slide down, they fall to my knees! If I go down a size, they give me pronounced muffin-top. I've been living in tunics and leggings, but would like to wear jeans again sometimes. Would high-rise jeans work better (mine are all low-mid rise?)? Or should I just give up?

I'm small (5 foot 2) and size 12. Anyone a similar shape/size out there who has found flattering jeans?

TIA!

NewYearResolution Thu 06-Jan-11 18:51:48

High rise, M&S cheapies are good for muffin tops as they are wider on the waist.

Give it a try, they are only a £10 or thereabouts.

Chocaholica Thu 06-Jan-11 20:09:29

Thanks. Just been on their website. I need slim leg really I think, and they don't have any like you describe in that leg. Which leg would you recommend? After years of bootcut obsession, I realize they aren't great on me. And I'm scared of skinnies....

FiveOrangePips Thu 06-Jan-11 20:27:53

I am 5ft, size 12 in Topshop petite, just purchased a pair of the Jamie skinny jeans and they have a slightly higher waist than the Martha jeans I have from there, and so much more comfortable and very soft denim.

I wear a navy fabric belt with my Martha jeans and that really stops them slipping, but is comfortable too.

Chocaholica Thu 06-Jan-11 20:38:49

Thanks for the recommendation. I never think about going into Top Shop - always feel too old (35). Am I??

Gillybobs Thu 06-Jan-11 20:39:02

Boden (dont laugh) straight leg jeans have solved this very issue for me. I dont even need a belt with them. Nice straight leg so can be tucked into boots but not too skinny iyswim

miche8 Thu 06-Jan-11 20:42:06

i'm apple shaped but a size 16, i found the topshop baxters (skinny jeans) very flattering, the pockets gave my bum a nice shape and made it look smaller and legs looked good, the waist was generous and doesnt dig in, comes up a little bit higher too.

For years i'd heard people talk about baxters but never tried them because i'm bigger, finally tried a pair a few months ago and wow, i suggest you go and try them.

I've also been wearing bigger knickers, (sloggis) so they hold me in a little as they come up higher.

WhereTheWildThingsWere Thu 06-Jan-11 20:42:30

Christ I only buy jeans from Top Shop, I am also 35, should that be only 35 grin.

I am also an apple and find any low waisted jean just need a good belt.

FiveOrangePips Thu 06-Jan-11 20:51:49

Choc I am nearly 38, if they work it doesn't matter what age you are, but 35 is not too old for Topshop, I nearly typed too young lol.

Carrotsandcelery Thu 06-Jan-11 20:53:58

Next have some cheap high rise jean in their new range. Do you want bootleg or skinny? They definitely had bootleg but imagine they would have skinny too.

BusyMissIzzy Thu 06-Jan-11 20:55:52

I have the same problem (narrow hips/muffin top), and my jeans fall down too. I think part of the problem in my case is that the jeans are tight round my thighs, which sort of pushes them down. I'm working on this though (trying to lose weight and tone up, which will also help the muffin top problem).

Chocaholica Thu 06-Jan-11 21:14:33

OK, so I need to brave Top Shop! I am not sure what style I want/need. I've always had bootcut but have decided I suit slim-leg better...

Actually I HAVE tried on the high-waisted skinnies in Next - black ones - they worked around the tummy, and weren't skin-clingingly skinny (believe me, I would not suit super-skinny!) but I wanted blue, not black, and they didn't seem to have any black ones.

Boden - they don't do short length, so theirs would be too long for me, I think.

As for the thighs pushing them down, I think my c/s overhang pushes mine down. I am making myself sound lovely, aren't I?! The thing is, they have always fallen down, even before the c/s overhang problem. Belts don't seem to do much unless they are circulation-stoppingly tight. I have never had to undo buttons or zips to pull trousers down.

It was, though, worse during pregnancy. One day my jeans actually did fall all the way down. Thankfully I was at home....

marriednotdead Thu 06-Jan-11 21:59:57

What a great club to join- muffin top, no arse (CS overhang optional) grin

Another vote for Topshop, and I am an ancient 44 <defiant glare>

I bought Jaimie skinnies in a size bigger than my usual, and DD bought me a pair of Kristens for Christmas. Still need a belt but muffin top is contained. Mind you, the belt loops on the Kristens are so low that they're pointless on me hmm

Kristingle Fri 07-Jan-11 00:23:02

i am a lollipop ( apple on a stick) and wear Gap skinny flares with a wide belt to hold in the flab blush

i still have a slight muffin top so I dont wear very clingy tops.

skinnies emphasis my top heavy figure and baggy / wide legs conceal my best assets ( neat bum and good legs) and make me look fatter than i am

coldtits Fri 07-Jan-11 00:34:29

High rise jeans and a belt is my answer, I have exacly the same problem whether I am a 14 or a 20.

Apparently I have size 12 hips, but a size 16 waist (and a size 18/20 bust!!!!!)

Chocaholica Fri 07-Jan-11 09:20:45

I love the image of a lollipop on a stick! I am sure you look great. I can't get to a Gap near here easily. I am top-heavy too, not helped by breastfeeding.

For some reason, I imagine Top Shop as full of skinny teenagers with communal changing rooms. I remember the shame of those communal changing rooms from when I was a teenager. Tell me they have cubicles these days!!!

notyummy Fri 07-Jan-11 09:31:28

There are cubicles!! I was also scarred by teenage experiences in communal changing rooms, but I don't think there are any left on the high street now!

mippy Fri 07-Jan-11 12:10:16

I have this problem, but a different shape - 44-34-44. Everything falls off my hips. The next size down won't go up far enough, or won't button. I must have disproportionate thighs. And for some reason, it's nigh on impossible to get a belt for my hips.

I just about remember a communal changing room in Topshop in 2000. I think Internationale had them too.

Chocaholica Fri 07-Jan-11 21:14:38

I remember communal changing rooms in Top Shop and in Miss Selfridge, amongst others. And the Top Shop ones had mirrors all the way around, so you really couldn't hide.

Glad to hear it's more civilized these days....

Mippy, how have you solved the falling-down jeans problem?

ladylush Fri 07-Jan-11 22:53:48

Topshop Kristens are good cos they are high waisted. They still fall down after a second days wear ime.

Ottybottom Sun 09-Jan-11 21:43:26

Have the same problem - the only jeans that have ever fit/not fallen down/and are comfortable are wide legged, on-the-waist with a very wide waist band (2/3 buttons). The wide waist band seems to be the key as it seems to keep the jeans up. I think Wallis do some, sorry haven't got a link.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: