Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Just received my bare escentuals mineral make up - bit confused!

(23 Posts)
Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 13:25:36

Can anyone advise please? confused

I watched some you tube videos to work put how to apply it but I also wanted to know what preparations I needed to make to my skin first. So I googled and one site said to cleanse, tone and moisterise first (fine) but then use your normal concealed first? I wad hoping to ditch all my concealers and under concealers...

Anyone know what's best?

Many Tia

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 06-Jan-11 13:31:31

I don't use any concealers

just moisturise first

then swirl tap buff

Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 13:33:15

Ok thanks boyarelikedogs! Ds2 asleep am going to go off and cleanse, tone and moisterise and try it out!

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 06-Jan-11 13:36:19

you will be amazed

perfect finish, feels lovely, doesn't come off on your collar or clothes

fab stuff

make sure that your moisturiser is dry before you start

Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 14:09:51

Ooo well my skin feels amazing, took me a while but I suppose that's practise!
The only thing I'm use to is lashing on touché éclat under my eyes and there's not really a lighter concealer shade in my starter kit? I've got the medium/medium beige kit.
Do you know what's the summer bisque for?
Hasn't completely covered my spots like my benefit concealer does but I'm hoping to have a lot less spots using this stuff!
Thanks again!

tethersend Thu 06-Jan-11 14:16:07

I got a maximum coverage brush (like a small paintbrush) which turns the foundation into a concealer. I brush on a bit with it after applying the foundation all over.

QuickLookBusy Thu 06-Jan-11 14:26:51

I hope it helps with your spots, it did with mine.

I still use a concealer though-I really need it under my eyes, just pop it on then let it "dry off" before putting on the foundation.

Have just googled summer bisque and QVC website says its a concealer for medium skin, which can be used over or under the foundation.

Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 14:41:59

Thank you for your replies! I got the max coverage brush in my starter kit perhaps I wasn't working it on enough.
Thanks for googling summer bisque for me quicklookbusy
Maybe I'll still have to use my touche éclat then but my skin does feel like it's breathing - amazing!

tethersend Thu 06-Jan-11 15:11:25

I found that using the Bare Escentuals primer made a huge difference.

monkeysmama Thu 06-Jan-11 15:36:41

I've stopped using it as I found the buffing really irritated my skin though I do still use it for special occasions as it lasts so well. I thibk I had the same starter kit as you at first and I used the summer bisque as a concealor under my eyes with a dab of touche d'eclat on top if necessary. The smaller brush in the starter kit is for the summer bisque.

tingelingle Thu 06-Jan-11 15:40:54

I love bare escentuals and use it loads. I am quite pale but actually found the summer bisque was the right shade for my under eyes, so give it a try. I have the bisque too but it's just a bit too pasty.

I sometimes use a primer if my skin is a bit rough, it makes your skin even smoother.

Enjoy!

hatcam Thu 06-Jan-11 18:17:29

I am very fickle and sometimes use this, chop and change to bobbi brown (also fab) and chanel vitalumiere which gives a great glow but doesn't last.

Really recommend the bare minerals primer and I was recommended to try using the actual bare min foundation as a concealer, just using a small brush. This works much better for me than the bisque which looks a bit 'grey' or dull. I still find the whole thing a bit fiddly, but when I get it right I feel like it looks really natural. If I haven't exfoliated well tho or skin a bit dry I still look a bit old lady powdery. Think that's me not doing enough buffing, the lovely lady in the bare min shop here said keep buffing until your arm aches!

Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 19:13:33

Oh thanks for that! So tomorrow I might use a bit of touche éclat, let it dry completely and then use the summer bisque for my bags! Brilliant thanks so much for the advice!

Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 19:15:56

Thought I was getting the primer with the kit. The no7 serum stuff may work do you think?

tingelingle Thu 06-Jan-11 20:23:22

Does it dry nicely? Otherwise the powder would go all lumpy on your skin. The Bare Escentuals gives you a kind of matt, silky feeling to your skin. I've not tried no.7 serum but I don't see any other reason not to use it.

By the way, look on eBay for BE products from the US. Loads cheaper, you might find the primer. Also, I should say that I only use the primer when I can be bothered (rarely have the time) so it's not essential.

Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 20:32:51

Thanks for the tips T.
For me the serum stuff dries matt but think I'll get the b e primer so I can have the complete set sad will definitely look on eBay thanks!

Fortress Thu 06-Jan-11 20:33:40

= !!

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 13-Jan-11 19:36:45

Hi guys...I sell & use bareEscentuals in clinic where I work at Aurora Clinics (www.aurora-clinics.co.uk/shop)....

First, can I just stress how important the "buffing" technique is with this product! I know some people buy it without really being shown what to do, or find it a faff and give up but you really won't get the beautiful smooth flawless results that the product is capable of unless you learn that technique: it's all about working from the outside of your face inwards in large circling motions to get the blood circulation going, exfoliate the skin and most importantly HEAT ACTIVATE the product as the minerals used in it do not work at their best unless you do this. I've tested it out on clients a few times and no other application technique works as well. The DVD that comes in the Get Started Kit will show you what to do if a Beauty Ambassador did not sell you your product.

Ok, next...In terms of prep: Yes the bareEscentuals primer is fantastic under the foundation - it will give you a much smoother look, and from Feb this year will be available in an amazing pearl finish for an illuminating glow too! There's also a product called Skin Revver Upper if you're not keen on primers - that's good if your skin is particularly dry / patchy or in need of looking a bit more "awake". If you simply don't want to buy any more BE products, yes just cleanse, tone & moisturise....but I'd recommend doing all that as part of your routine the night BEFORE, not immediately prior to applying bareEscentuals, and only applying a teeny bit of moisturiser to dry areas then waiting 2 mins before applying your makeup or you will end up with darker colouration in the moisturised areas.

Finally, you talk about bisque. Bisque is a GREAT product...it is the best concealer I have come across as a makeup consultant because it is far lighter than your usual oil-based concealers but is AMAZING at covering if used correctly - I use it on women with quite severe scarring. It is important to get your shade right (standard bisque for fair skin tones, summer bisque for darker tones...even some mediums will only need the standard bisque). DON'T paint it on - pat it on very light to the problem area with the small brush in the kit, then buff a second layer of your foundation over the top to blend back in. In terms of the under-eye area...there is an actual miracle product in the BE range called "well rested for eyes" - this is a bit like a bisque, but has more light-reflecting particles in it, plus is more hydrating, to specifically target those problem bags under the eyes....I strongly recommend it if you have issues in that area. If that fails, & you need something even stronger for under-eye bags, the best thing on the market IMO is the Cernor Coverstick which has a v high dose of Zinc. But that's another story

Hope that's helped...sorry to go on & on...no, I don't work FOR bareEscentuals lol I work for a cosmetic surgery Clinic (Aurora) in Buckinghamshire but I'm passionate about our product range & like to help people use them properly!!!!

sleepysox Thu 13-Jan-11 20:25:45

Boymeetsworld, you sound very knowledgeable about BE, so would you mind me asking 2 questions ... is the primer suitable for very sensitive skin? What about the skin revver upper?

HOpe you don't mind me asking

FellatioNelson Thu 13-Jan-11 21:40:31

God, I luuurve it when we get a real proper expert on something on MN. grin

I go all weak at the knees.

sleepysox Thu 13-Jan-11 23:02:44

I was excited when boymeetsworld popped up too, I hope she comes back to answer my burning question.

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 14-Jan-11 09:33:53

Hi sleepysox, it depends a little bit just HOW sensitive we're talking here.... you should be fine with the Prime Time Primer...it's oil and fragrance free, allergy & dermatalogically tested and basically only includes leaf, licorice and flower extracts plus Vitamins C & E. There is Silica but (touch wood) I haven't had a client have a reaction yet. If you are particularly sensitive, just try a small amount first, and be particularly sparing in the under eye area. Flare ups dont tend to happen until usage for about 3 days so if, after that, all is well, continue to use normally

I'd be more cautious with the Revver Upper though on very sensitive skin. This product is brill but it's for quite a particular type of problem skin - those that are oily and prone to spots. If you are that type, you may well be fine with it. It has mild salycilic acids in it to work as an exfoliator and minimise pores, so obv this would sound off warning bells to me if you say your skin is prone to sensitivity

LOL@FellatioNelson....yes, guilty as charged: I am a COMPLETE bareEscentuals geek!!! (lucky I get to work with the stuff! Not so lucky I had a boy...he does not share my interest :p)

www.aurora-clinics.co.uk

sleepysox Fri 14-Jan-11 19:15:51

I have very sensitive skin- Boots Protect and Perfect actually burnt my skin- made it so red and sore I couldn't use any make up or skin products except one very mild moisturiser for about 6 months afterwards.

I will try the primer, as it sounds mild.

Thanks for you help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: