Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Can you do classy AND sexy?

(21 Posts)
HarrogateMum Wed 05-Jan-11 19:03:30

Apologies if this has been done before! I looked and couldnt see it...anyhow..I try to veer towards classic dressing - dark jeans, collared shirts, blah blah. HOwever I find myself looking admiringly at friends of mine who look fab AND sexy but cant imagine wearing the same kind of clothes, would feel like mutton dressed as lamb a bit.

So - if you consider your look to be classy AND sexy, what the hell are you wearing and where do I buy it? Am starting to worry that my classy may just equal everyone elses frumpy!

flybynight Wed 05-Jan-11 19:25:29

I know this is no real kind of an answer, but if you feel good in your classy clothes, you'll look sexy. The confidence they give you will make you carry yourself well.

For example, I have long legs, but a fat tummy, so if I wear tight jeans, heeled boots and an empire line or draped top, I feel sexy. Hoopers in Harrogate has some good sales ladies who give good advice. Try there.

MsHighwater Wed 05-Jan-11 19:35:46

Yes, I'm sure you can.

I'm not sure whether my look is either classy or sexy though I'd like to think it is both. I tend to wear fitted tops with either a v-neck or a scoop neck (I have a generous bust and higher necks make my chest look vast) but I avoid cleavage (daytime, anyway). I most often wear jeans away from work - I go for slightly below waist. My midriff is never exposed.

In colder weather, I often wear layers e.g. short sleeved or strappy tops with a cardigan or other cover-up over the top. I have a couple of waterfall cardigans and atm I'm wearing a hip length round necked cardigan with just a couple of buttons done up at my bust. More often than not, I wear a scarf (long, rectangular, including pashmana).

I lost a lot of weight not long ago and I'm enjoying feeling much more confortable showing off my shape than I used to. I expect that confidence has a good deal to do with me liking how I look these days.

CybilScissorhands Wed 05-Jan-11 19:36:32

Undo an extra button

HarrogateMum Wed 05-Jan-11 19:52:17

thanks ladies...Cybil, get where you are coming from!

tethersend Wed 05-Jan-11 21:32:45

Yes. Buy a trenchcoat and a silk scarf and channel Catherine Deneuve.

Deaddei Wed 05-Jan-11 22:08:22

I would love to be classy and sexy.
I suspect I am probably neither.

HarrogateMum Wed 05-Jan-11 22:13:38

off out tomorrow in jeans and shirt with only one button done up. will let you know how I get on. Deaddei...you are one of the tall ladies arent you? Remember you from another thread?

ValiumTinselton Wed 05-Jan-11 22:15:34

It's all about the waist I think. So if you don't have a waist, get one.

Deaddei Wed 05-Jan-11 22:17:27

I am indeed. WIth big feet.

SlowComfortableShrew Wed 05-Jan-11 22:56:47

I looked hot in my pale green sweater dress from toast when i was a size smaller. No obvious tit or leg on show but that dress hugged my every curve ( why its not so hot now). I wear a big beat and knee boots with it.

TrappedinSuburbia Wed 05-Jan-11 23:14:15

Jeans and boots with a heel, fitted tops, hair and make up done.
Other times wrap top, skirt, boots. I have a nice fitted coat I love as well.
Other times, whatever ive picked up off the bedroom floor grin

CameronCook Thu 06-Jan-11 16:47:23

I'm lurking as I'm more slutty and scruffy than classy and sexy.

As the only good thing I've got going for me are my boobs I tend to show a little too much cleavage - maybe need to rethink now I'm knocking on a bit

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 06-Jan-11 16:55:07

I think it comes down to things fitting well. You can blow the classiness in an instant by something that is too tight.

AbsofCroissant Thu 06-Jan-11 17:28:26

Agree with sethstark - it's about having clothes that fit well. It's a bit difficult to feel sexy if you feel squished into or swamped in your clothes. Maybe look at pictures of people like Catherine Deneuve or Sophia Loren to get some inspiration. Tis possible.

Monadami Thu 06-Jan-11 17:34:35

I rarely get to go out, so I do make alot of effort. I did classy and sexy better when I was slimmer, but I love Ditta Von Teese's look and wear similar dresses when I go out. I also like to wear skinny jeans with heels, nice little fitted jacket and glitzy top.

Bonsoir Thu 06-Jan-11 17:38:53

To be sexy and classy:

1. Wear tight clothes on one half of your body, loose on the other
2. Emphasise only your good bits
3. Only bare flesh in one area
4. Go easy on the bling - you are not a Christmas tree
5. A slim, well groomed body takes you a long, long way...

JakeBrake Thu 06-Jan-11 17:39:36

I knew bonsoir would be on here helping us. ;)

HarrogateMum Thu 06-Jan-11 20:17:25

yes that whole tight in one area, loose in another is def the way forward!

noddyholder Fri 07-Jan-11 10:33:38

Sexy has nowt to do with clothes If you are sexy you just are.Clothes can be stylish and enhance the sexiness you possess but none will make you sexy.sadly or we would all buy them!

JakeBrake Fri 07-Jan-11 15:43:26

Yes same as cool. Son 2 was born cool. Exudes cool. Other sons not necc cool

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: