Talk

Advanced search

Is there a difference between fragrance oil and essential oil?

(5 Posts)
nappyaddict Wed 05-Jan-11 15:00:15

I want to make my own beauty and bath products with it. Is one better than the other or is it just a different name for the same thing.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Wed 05-Jan-11 15:00:58

yes but i can't really help you with what teh difference is. but there definitely is a difference.

IAmTheCookieMonster Wed 05-Jan-11 15:04:29

fragrance oil just smells nice but doesn't contain all the stuff that has an effect eg. lavender helping you go to sleep etc.

tulpe Wed 05-Jan-11 15:05:33

Yes. Fragrance oil "may" contain essential oils but generally is synthetically produced. Essential oils are 100% natural oils produced from plants & trees (sometimes using petals, roots, resin or leaves)

Be aware that if you are buying rose oil, Rose Absolute is not a pure oil.

nappyaddict Wed 05-Jan-11 15:37:36

It's actually lavender I have bought. I wanted it for antiseptic reasons. I take it a fragrance oil will be no good then. Grrrr!!

I usually use essential oils in my washing (apart from towels cos it affects the absorbency and I don't use citrus oils on coloured things) so I'll have to use this fragrance oil up that way I think. Oh well least it won't go to waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now