Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Black tights for black tie event

(7 Posts)
BlingLoving Tue 04-Jan-11 11:33:10

I am wearing a black and red dress, on the knee, black high heel shoes and will be 5 months pregnant. I think I will still be able to wear regular tights, just in a size up on my usual.

What kind of tights should I wear? I always struggle with this? Matt or shiny? What denier?

aquavit Tue 04-Jan-11 12:08:50

I would wear black matt opaques. Have recently realised that posh tights are worth the money - Wolford do lovely 100 denier ones that are very comfortable and soft, and are properly matt and opaque without being at all bulky.

FreeButtonBee Tue 04-Jan-11 14:30:11

I got some great M&S Autograph hold ups for NYE. They were sheer black (about 10-15 denier) with a seam up the back. V sexy but completely covered up. It depends on the dress but I think black tie event you are better with sheer rather than opaques.

Might also be more comfy when pg too?

traceybath Tue 04-Jan-11 16:00:50

I agree with aqua - opaques more on trend. Most definitely not shiney.

You can get maternity tights too.

BlingLoving Tue 04-Jan-11 16:49:55

Thanks all. My concern is the same as FreeButton's - that opaque's aren't appropriate for black tie? But seems the vote is that it's okay so might go that way for convenience.

traceybath Tue 04-Jan-11 17:20:16

I think black sheer tights can just look a bit dated to be honest - opaques or bare legs is more modern.

aquavit Wed 05-Jan-11 10:37:36

yes I think opaques are fine for black tie these days, and agree with tracey that sheer black tights look very dated (unless you are under 20 in which case they might look like part of that 80s revival thing they seem to have going on).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: