Talk

Advanced search

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now.

(20 Posts)
mippy Mon 03-Jan-11 23:13:45

DP helped me clear out some space today - I have hoarding tendencies and I really need someone to make me do it, iyswim. We tackled my wardrobe.

I have removed six bin-bags worth of stuff.

Most of it was stuff that just didn't fit, at all, and hadn't when I bought it. Some of it were size 41 shoes I bought with the vain hope that my size 42 feet would fit into them (it is SO hard to find anything to suit me.) A lot of it made me feel like I was a fat, formerly frumpy spendthrift.

Now I have a lovely looking space for my clothing but I can't believe the mound of bags downstairs waiting for me to decide what to do with them!

ivykaty44 Mon 03-Jan-11 23:15:28

charity shop

dexter73 Tue 04-Jan-11 08:59:37

Charity shop them quickly before any of it creeps back into your wardrobe!

fishie Tue 04-Jan-11 09:00:38

ring charity shop to come and get it.

BadSkiingMum Tue 04-Jan-11 09:28:47

freecycle

mippy Tue 04-Jan-11 09:45:32

I work 9-5 and the charity shop isn't open on my way to work, otherwise I could get rid of it a bag at a time! Might be a weekend job. DP suggests it should just go in the bin and that's it gone from my life, but that seems like such a waste.

I feel pretty depressed at how much money I've wasted, frankly.

FreeButtonBee Tue 04-Jan-11 09:47:03

Charity shop first thing Saturday morning. Think of all the good that will come of giving it away. Someone who really needs those new shoes and really can't afford them will get a nice surprise and the charity gets money. Win-win!

DukesOfTripHazard Tue 04-Jan-11 09:47:33

Saturday. Charity shop. When it's gone you'll feel great.

DukesOfTripHazard Tue 04-Jan-11 09:47:43

Well done btw!

ducknipples Tue 04-Jan-11 09:51:39

could you stick some of them on ebay at the weekend? they'll be hanging around your house a little longer, but at least you might make some of the money back?

Patsy99 Tue 04-Jan-11 10:01:34

Please don't listen to your DH about putting it in the bin. That will just make the waste worse. Nearly new size 41 shoes will be really useful to lots of people, the charity shop will be pleased.

TheProvincialLady Tue 04-Jan-11 10:07:01

I don't know if you have anything like this near you, but we have clothes banks in our local park where you can take clothes and shoes, and they are taken to Africa to be sold or donated. Obviously you can do this any time of the day or night, so it might help you if you can't get to a charity shop during their opening hours.

Don't waste energy being depressed about past mistakes. Think ahead to the organised, well dressed person you are going to be from now on!

WowOoo Tue 04-Jan-11 10:07:12

Ebay the best stuff - stuff that sells well and that you could make some money back. If you have the storage space, that is.

Charity the rest of it.

I had a huge pile of stuff. Some sold on ebay and still have some to try to sell in summer/spring.

The bits that didn't sell I gave away to local charity shops. They are so grateful for good quality stuff. So am I when i find a bargian in them. With charity shops you're spreading double joy!

mippy Tue 04-Jan-11 12:14:01

eBay not an option, I am really disorganized and tend to get the admin stuff wrong which leads to unhappy customers. It's harder for sellers as buyers expect professional service which I'm not able to give.

I really don't have the space to keep stuff around, as well, which is a pain. I'm much taller and bigger (feet/bust etc.) than friends which is tricky as it's nice to pass things on.

Gillybobs Tue 04-Jan-11 12:16:35

Most large supermarkets have clothes recycle facilities in their car parks now, please put them in there, not the bin!

TheProvincialLady Tue 04-Jan-11 12:19:32

So recycle them then, or take them to the charity shop on Saturday. You are making too big a deal of this - it is just stuff you don't want or need, no emotional attachment necessarysmile

Columbia999 Tue 04-Jan-11 12:20:51

When I was moving house, I had several big bags full of clothes, books and other assorted toot. One of the charity shops gave me a number to ring when I wanted them collecting. They gave me all the bags too! I think most charity shops have a bloke who will pick stuff up in a van, so it's worth asking.

BlooKangaWonders Tue 04-Jan-11 12:23:05

Salvation army has clothing banks near me. Is that an easier option?

mippy Tue 04-Jan-11 12:24:39

Ah, I'm more overwhelmed by how much time and money I've wasted collecting this stuff! I remember ordering various things online, or the queue in the shop - silly, I know, but it all seems like such a crap use of resources when it's all sitting in binbags.

Casmama Tue 04-Jan-11 12:35:27

The time and money was already wasted yesterday and the day before - nothing has changed there. The only difference is that you now have space and bags of stuff you don't need or want. Take them to the charity shop at the weekend and make a new years resolution only to buy things that fit you, suit you and make you feel good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now