Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Just had the new Next directory

(19 Posts)
Deaddei Mon 03-Jan-11 16:45:41

Anyone else?
It is the usual shite.
A new shade has emerged called neutral which looks like diahorrea.
I am placing an order for new swimsuits for dd and some boring black Tall trousers for me. Oh and a scarf.

dexter73 Mon 03-Jan-11 17:11:22

I got mine today but haven't looked through it as it was soaked through and all the pages had stuck together. Not very impressed and have phoned them up and complained.

HughRinal Mon 03-Jan-11 17:14:28

one word - jumpsuits

fayeso Mon 03-Jan-11 17:55:06

Oh Hell no....i am going to cancel mine asap....Thanks for warning!!!

Clure Mon 03-Jan-11 18:19:53

ordered about 4 things from last seasons directory and they all went back, they look so much better in the catalogue (and on those nine foot stick models!) I will order some summer cropped jeans and summer tops and sandals for DD who is 6

Gillybobs Mon 03-Jan-11 19:20:49

Cancelled mine last year. I am not exaggerating when I say that each time it came through there was not one single item that I would love to own. Not one. And I dont believe I have unusual taste. Same old dirge, year after year. Recently found out its all made in the same place as George at Asda

(Asda assistant told me they received a delivery of shoes with Next logo instead of theirs, Asda were retailing them at £14, Next at £25....go figure : ))

gregssausageroll Mon 03-Jan-11 19:28:08

Been looking. Pretty awful although there are some 3/4 trousers and a couple of knits that look ok that I will order.

ALongDecember Mon 03-Jan-11 20:47:11

The prices in Next seem to have rocketed, and it is shitter than ever even the kids stuff is expensive and doesn't wash well any more. Hmph.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 03-Jan-11 20:51:28

thought it was just me getting old!

i like their party wear but apart from that i have ordered nothing in ages.

like the home stuff though - just as well there is nothing in the clothes section i want as im still paying my account off from the rug and curtains!

what do you all do with your old directories? they are a pain to get rid of - i may just stop getting them and use the online facility instead.

southeastastra Mon 03-Jan-11 20:53:42

ooh you should save some if you can, they're great to look at in 20 years time or so.

you lot should cancel them if they're so bad, you can look online easily enough surely

CointreauVersial Mon 03-Jan-11 20:55:57

I do like their homewares, though...... and I always find something to buy in Womenswear if I look hard enough!

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 03-Jan-11 21:30:12

Gillybobs that isn't an unusual practice...is exactly the same in the cosmetics industry, the mascara in the £5 Maybelline range is exactly the same stuff as in the £15 Lancome and £20 Shu Uemura mascara, just different tube, brush and marketing budget!

pointydog Mon 03-Jan-11 21:39:54

Don;t you have to pay for the next directory?

Gillybobs Mon 03-Jan-11 21:54:34

Holly I understand that and am the first to admit i probably overpay for lots of things. In this case I just dont get how Next justify (get away with) the higher price, I dont think they offer a luxury shopping experience or anything close to high street kudos which would make me want to pay more for the exact same item from Asda, IYSWIM?

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 03-Jan-11 22:10:19

Couldn't agree more Gillybobs and Next customer service is some of the worst on the HIgh Street.

bellavita Mon 03-Jan-11 22:22:39

Fayeso, how do you cancel the directory? I tried to do this the other day, and couldn't see where to do it.

KangarooCaught Mon 03-Jan-11 22:35:54

Going against the grain of the thread, but I do like some of Next children's clothes which have become a less adult, - maybe due to plummeting -sales of slutwear MN's good work Let Girls be Girls campaign.

But you're right about the pricing, and not just Next though. The H&M Boden type trews with hearts on the knees I bought last year for dd at £7.99 are now £13.99.

CointreauVersial Mon 03-Jan-11 23:25:22

Well, I've just had a detailed trawl through the new catalogue - actually it's not toooo bad - better than the winter stuff, I'd say. Although I do hate anything asymmetric/dippy-hemmed/one-shouldered and they seem to have gone overboard on that this spring. Ditto jazzy floral print trousers and frilly tunics....hmmm, no thanks.

But there's some nice work stuff, I reckon, and lovely sandals, but best wait for the snow to disappear before I get too ahead of myself.

And where else can you place an order in the evening and have it delivered to your doorstep by lunchtime? Using the free delivery codes posted on MN, of course!

Monadami Tue 04-Jan-11 01:59:47

I got it too and don't want it. Why should I pay £5 for a catalogue. I have told them I don't want one, but they continue to ignore my request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: