Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What products will give me glowy skin?

(17 Posts)
miche8 Sun 02-Jan-11 16:49:01

I'm happy with my skin care (liz earle and no.7 p&p serum) however when i put on my makeup i look a powdery mess, i have wrinkle crepy eye lids and the skin under my eyes. If i apply more moisturiser i'm too sticky, have tried primers and they made no difference. I use bare minerals and it used to suit me so well. I'm thinking its the makeup i need to change and stay away from powdery products so please recommend me a:

foundation that makes me glow but not shine
blusher - goodbye benefit dallas
eye shadow - not a powder one please

an eye cream to sort out the crinkles.

I'm pale skinned and dont have lines, just crepy eyelids.

BooBooGlass Sun 02-Jan-11 16:51:16

Chanel. But very expensive. I get a good result with a cheapy foundation from 17 at Boots, and use BeneFit HighBeam on top for a glow.

ChippedChinaTeacup Sun 02-Jan-11 16:55:12

I have the same thing and what I do is spray my face with water after applying foundation, powder etc and before putting the colourful stuff on. Let it dry obv.. only takes a few seconds

By spray I mean one of those spritz things people use for ironing sometimes, or evian have one too.

FaffTastic Sun 02-Jan-11 16:58:55

Use a primer under your fundation.

I use Chanel Base Perfection followed by Chanel Vitaluminere fundation.

Useing the Base perfection gives me a radiant glow everytime even if I do say so myself

carlossss Sun 02-Jan-11 17:01:22

Message withdrawn

knitknack Sun 02-Jan-11 18:12:14

I used to use mineral make up too but got fed up with the same effects you're experiencing - I was looking back at some old photos from that period the other day and was shocked at how 'flat' my makeup looked...

Now I use just a very light coating of foundation (make up forever HD or dior real pure skin) and concentrate instead on livening up my skin with Becca skin illuminator (and before I splashed out on that I was using no7 highlighter in the goldy/peachy colour which is also lovely) and brightening my face with blush.

Basically I sat for ages and watched videos on http://www.lisaeldridge.com/ (the one on highlighters and natural makeup) and rejigged what I wore and how I wore it!

I've only posted a few times on MN and so far all have been about make up and ALL have mentioned Becca illuminator. I'm off to post about proust or something blush

tulpe Sun 02-Jan-11 21:41:56

Aside from a second vote for Chanel foundation, can I also recommend facial exercises for obtaining glowing skin? I have been doing them for about 6 weeks and my skin has never looked so good. Blood flow has increased so not only do my cheeks look firmer and the skin tone brighter but also I am getting less spots as toxins not so likely to build up under the skin.

Havingkittens Sun 02-Jan-11 21:58:21

Something like Estee Lauder "Spotlight" under make up is nice to give a glowing complexion. Clarins Beauty Flash Balm is lovely but not recommended for daily use.

Lancome's newest foundation, Teint Miracle is lovely for a glowy look without being too shiny or heavy. I would say that you'd find Make up Forever's HD foundation too matte and chalky for what you are trying to achieve.

If you're using powder, go for something very finely milled with no talc in it. Dior do a beautiful once called Capture Totale but it's rather expensive! Jemma Kidd's loose powder is quite nice if you're looking for something more affordable.

Lovely glowy blushers I would recommend are either Nars Orgasm, they do a cream version of this as well as a powder. This is a neutral pinky beige shade with a golden glow which suits most people. If you like something that gives a bit more of a flush, especially if you are someone that suits fresh blue based colours like blue, turquoise, pinks, corals etc or have blue eyes then MAC's Fabulush is gorgeous on too.

There's not much you can put on your eyes to get rid of crepeyness but I'd use something with a slight sheen but not too sparkly and use a medium to longish
haired brush to apply it so that the shadow goes on more sheer rather than packing on the colour.

otchayaniye Mon 03-Jan-11 09:47:27

MyFace in boots is a cheapo variant of Chanel's Vitalumiere, which I find has almost too much 'slip' or silicone in it and takes ages to set.

I also like Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser as it does not highlight dry skin, pores or any crepey skin.

For under eye concealer you could use Eve Pearl Salmon or Bobbi Brown corrector (non chalky)

For eyeshadow avoid heavy frosted ones and go for maybe Bobbi Brown nude palette or MAC Veluxe Pearl. I also love MAC digit (a very low shimmer lavender) on older skin as it just livens up the area. You could press in a dark plum shadow as a liner.

I like NARS Exhibit rather than Orgasm, or if you have celtic skin, the bright red Turkish Red creme one. Again, it's not shimmery (like Orgasm) so doesn't highlight knackered skin.

Drink shed loads of water and apply a skin oil before any occlusive cream (I use rosehip or argan and then on top Embryolisse or just plain boggo e45)

otchayaniye Mon 03-Jan-11 09:48:43

And after makeup, press in some Secret Finish or Clarins Flash Balm and that makes a flat surface dewy again.

thefentiger Mon 03-Jan-11 10:08:23

Eyecreams-Origins do 2 lovely ones -I use the Starting Over- brilliant for crepeyness and sometimes the Ginzing one if my eyes are a bit puffy or Im tired.
I really notice the difference if I forget to use the Starting Over especially.

Havingkittens Mon 03-Jan-11 13:23:50

Otchayaniye - cream blushers with a bit of sheen in them are actually really flattering for older skin. I use it on older presenters and actresses a lot as it livens up their complexions. Exhibit A is a lovely blusher but not something I'd recommend to a make up novice as it's quite bright and needs to go on very sheer so you need the right kind of brush for it.

Miche8, do you let your moisturisers/serums etc sink in properly before applying your mineral powder? You might find that's the problem too as the powder will stick to any sticky products and look heavier than you want them to.

Bonsoir Mon 03-Jan-11 13:26:39

I really like the new Benefit product, Porefessional, and then I use just a little Guerlain Terracotta bronzing powder on top.

If you have crepey eyelids, can you not change your make-up to avoid eyeshadow? Dye your eyelashes, fill in your brows to give emphasis and then just use eyeliner and mascara?

pipplin Mon 03-Jan-11 14:34:14

Beauty balm- superdrug do a cheaper one
No. 7 skin illuminator is lovely
Eye primer might be the way to go
Eye shadow- clinque were quite good, estee Lauder made me crepey.

pipplin Mon 03-Jan-11 14:38:13

No.7 do a creme touch powder this made a whole lot of difference to me.
Do you need foundation or is it just under eye etc? Estee Lauder do a foundation type cover up called disappear. I think it's amazing it gets rid of my bags and red bits and as it's liquid you look quite dewy. Touch of powder on top and maybe some powder just in shiny areas?
Sorry just 'thinking' out loud.
Hth

BelligerentGhoul Mon 03-Jan-11 16:45:03

I think Clarins do an eye version of BFB too.

Deaddei Mon 03-Jan-11 16:47:30

Estee Lauder luminous primer is excellent.
A creamy blusher helps-Bobbi Brown.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: