Talk

Advanced search

£200 for a ring- where do i look?

(35 Posts)
ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Fri 31-Dec-10 13:27:56

my dad gave me £200 for xmas. he made me promise not to spend it on household stuff like i always do. so i have to have something to actually show for it. i finally removed my engagement ring from EXP last night and i decided i will replace it with something of my own that i bought myself. but i have no clue about jewellery. where should i go for good rings that are within this budget?

CybilScissorhands Fri 31-Dec-10 13:28:55

Wright and teague

Swag

Links

Umm, cant think of any more

tethersend Fri 31-Dec-10 13:30:14

Where in the country are you? Do you want new or antique?

madammecholet Fri 31-Dec-10 13:33:12

Not on the high street do lovely ones:

noths

or more cocktail rings at net a porter

net a porter

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Fri 31-Dec-10 13:36:02

i am in northern ireland. i should have mentioned that. doh!

madammecholet Fri 31-Dec-10 13:36:16

I also love Monica Vinader

here

madammecholet Fri 31-Dec-10 13:39:03

also try my wardrobe.com

here

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Fri 31-Dec-10 13:42:58

Hmm, having looked at those links i think i want a more classic style that wont date IYSWIM. they are all lovely but very modern.

i am thinking things like this

or this

or this

or this

just not sure if they are good quality or not. how can you tell if it would be money well spent?

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Fri 31-Dec-10 13:49:12

ooh some of those SWAG rings are gorgeous.

tethersend Fri 31-Dec-10 14:11:12

I really don't know anywhere in NI, but if I were you I would go to some antique shops and fairs- for the style you like (v. nice BTW), you will get far better quality for the price, nd something nobody else will have.

Havingkittens Fri 31-Dec-10 14:13:46

If I had £200 to spend on a ring and wanted something classic that wouldn't date, and something special and unique I would look in antique shops/fairs. The Laines in Brighton is a great place for jewellery if you're down south. Ebay is also worth a look. Look for Art Deco styles if you like those kind of styles in your link, or possibly victorian.

I do seem to remember several years ago the owner of H Samuel publicly made a very derogatory remark about the quality of his merchandise.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Fri 31-Dec-10 14:19:16

thank you both. i will take my time and look around then as you say. i never knew that about H samuel, thank you for letting me know. i am all too aware that what i pay in jewellers will be hugely marked up.

tethersend Fri 31-Dec-10 14:23:01

Have a look Here

RantyMcRantpants Fri 31-Dec-10 14:26:45

Find a small, independant jewellers and get one designed and made for you.

these guys made my engagement, wedding and enternity rings from designs I gave them. No one else has anything like my rings grinthey are individual and one offs and I love them. Any way, might be nice to have something like that.

Gillybobs Fri 31-Dec-10 15:56:26

Astleyclarke.com is a website Ive seen recommended loads of times in the glossies, Ive never had the luxury of ordering from them but they have really beautiful stylish jewellery and I often drool over the rings. Lucky you, enjoy searching!

hugebelly Sat 01-Jan-11 00:47:30

CARAT do lovely cocktail rings. I think they do mail order. Not sure if they have stores in NI.

starfishmummy Sat 01-Jan-11 00:58:18

Personally I wouldn't go to a high street jeweller like the one you have linked to as they are often not the best quality - as others have mentioned a good antique ring will be much better waulity for the same price. Otherwise I would be looking at small artisan jewellers.
If you found soemone who actually makes jewellery they could m,aybe incorporate any stones/gold from your other ring if you wanted to.

ninedragons Sat 01-Jan-11 01:01:07

You will get something of superb quality fromEtsy for 200.

ninedragons Sat 01-Jan-11 01:03:55

Damn, if I'd posted six seconds earlier, my post would have been from 01-01-11 01:01:01

diddl Sat 01-Jan-11 09:57:11

I love the three coloured one that you linked to, OP.

RockChick1984 Sat 01-Jan-11 10:36:33

It was the ex-owner of h Samuel who made derogatory comments, he's not been part of them in over 10 years. Think you would be looking well above £200 if u wanted something designed and made for u, I used to work for a jewellers and even with my staff discount and supplying the stones myself it cost £300 to get a ring made for my mum. Most of the high street jewellers now are good quality, if u get a cocktail ring make sure it's actually gold or white gold as some of them are just a base metal plated with gold so won't last very long with daily wear. As others have said, antique jewellery is usually a good option if u wanted something a bit more unusual. Always check on antique jewellery that any claws holding stones in do not look worn down as this is usually the first thing to go wrong, and would mean you could lose any stones out of them (compare to a new ring and you will see what I mean) and also that the back of the ring is not very thin. Always check for hallmarking, gold will be stamped 375 (9carat) or 750 (18 carat). Hope this helps, good luck finding something! Xxx

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Sat 01-Jan-11 11:44:45

thank you all, that is a great help. i wouldn't have known any of that before posting rockchick.

WimpleOfTheBallet Sat 01-Jan-11 11:51:54

There are some very lovey victorian and edwardian rings for arund your budget and less...online too...I will look for you and come back with a link

Bumperlicious Sat 01-Jan-11 11:54:54

Just marking place to read later as dh wants to buy me an eternity ring

MrsSeanBean Sat 01-Jan-11 18:39:48

Smething silver from Tiffany? See here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now