Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Are there any seamstresses about? I need some advice.

(26 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 13:13:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thumbplumpuddingwitch Thu 30-Dec-10 13:16:01

am not a great seamstress but would advise caution - only on experience of removing shoulder pads (because I loathe them) and the dress often then doesn't hang properly.

Do they not fit or do you find them uncomfortable?

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 13:20:17

thumbplumpuddingwitch Thu 30-Dec-10 13:25:02

If you wouldn't want to do it yourself anyway, presumably you'd need to find a seamstress - you can usually find one through a dry cleaners, I've found - so you could ask their opinion on how much it would alter the hang of the dress.

I guess, if you have ample bosomness to fill the area, it won't make too much difference!

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 13:30:27

thenightsky Thu 30-Dec-10 13:34:28

Have a feel around... they are often just caught in by a couple of stitches on each corner (triangle shape). I've often removed swimsuit ones by unpicking a bit of the underarm seam (where it doesn't show) and sliding the cup out - think keyhole surgery.

I would be wary though, as someone mentioned earlier, it can change the way the whole dress hangs and leave it looking cheap and shoddily built.

Grumpla Thu 30-Dec-10 13:36:17

You might find that they are just sewn in with a few strategic stitches - might be worth unpicking the lining if that is sewn in round the bottom and just having a look. If so, a couple of careful snips might do the job.

I shouldn't think it will be a problem unless for example you have a lot of ruching or tucks which are sewn onto the cups themselves.

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 13:44:32

thenightsky Thu 30-Dec-10 13:47:09

Can you link to a picture of the dress on the shop website OP?

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 13:50:26

thumbplumpuddingwitch Thu 30-Dec-10 13:53:47

Not sure, but I'd be a touch concerned that the bra cup on the non-shoulder side is holding that side up, iyswim - even if it's only a couple of strategic threads, the cup is stopping the dress from sagging on that side. Might prove interesting if you remove it...

thenightsky Thu 30-Dec-10 14:08:08

HOLD IT WITH THE SCISSORS!!!

I think the cups are part of the structure of that dress. If you take them out it will sag badly I would suspect.

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 14:16:27

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 14:17:25

thumbplumpuddingwitch Thu 30-Dec-10 14:18:13

yy, that makes sense, ruby - but still the cup may be providing scaffolding for the ruching to hang off, even if it's not directly attached.

Do get it checked by someone who knows what they're doing, best option! Good luck

thumbplumpuddingwitch Thu 30-Dec-10 14:18:58

Can't you get it in a bigger size, or would it be too baggy then? If you've found a decent seamstress by then, they could always take it in for you round the sides...

rubyrubyruby Thu 30-Dec-10 14:23:49

Clure Thu 30-Dec-10 15:46:58

lovely dress, agree get it looked at by seamstress!

sausagerollmodel Thu 30-Dec-10 17:16:29

That dress is £285! shock For that money I would definitely get it altered professionally. Wouldn't risk doing it myself and I am an experienced dressmaker.

sausagerollmodel Thu 30-Dec-10 17:17:45

Meant to say, I thiknk the dress will sag if you just take the cups out, it needs some support.

CarolSinger Thu 30-Dec-10 19:34:04

Fab dress - agree get a seamstress to take a look

mippy Fri 31-Dec-10 11:07:48

That's a gorgeous dress - without the split it would make a lovely wedding gown.

rubyrubyruby Fri 31-Dec-10 11:41:36

rubyrubyruby Fri 31-Dec-10 11:53:18

cabbageroses Fri 31-Dec-10 12:46:57

I think you could get away with removing the cups as long as you wear an equally supportive bra underneath. I suspect the cups are there so it can be worn bra-less.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: