Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

skincare for spot prone skin please

(38 Posts)
hermitmum Wed 29-Dec-10 18:08:16

i'm nearly 30 and still get spots. any advice on what to use

carlossss Wed 29-Dec-10 18:13:05

Message withdrawn

hermitmum Wed 29-Dec-10 18:14:22

thans carlosses. is it expensive?

PuppyMonkey Wed 29-Dec-10 18:18:28

Stop eating bread. Best cure for spots ever.

QuickLookBusySanta Wed 29-Dec-10 18:19:40

I use Liz Earle, which is good, though I used to still get spots. Then someone told me it could be my foundation. Changed it to a mineral one [bare minerals] and occasionally use a very light liquid foundation. This has made a world of difference, and I now only get a spot a couple of times a year. [Used to get breakouts every month] I'm convinced its the build up of make up, which is obviously worn all day. Even if you use a great cleanser it must get into the skin during the day, and cause skin problems.

deaddei Wed 29-Dec-10 18:21:29

Dermalogica

hermitmum Wed 29-Dec-10 18:22:07

i dont wear make up very often and i eat brown bread. should i still cut it out?

cluelessnchaos Wed 29-Dec-10 18:23:28

Ren skincare, Rosa centifolia face wash and vita mineral day cream. £16 and £23. The only thing that has ever cleared up my skin

PuppyMonkey Wed 29-Dec-10 18:31:24

Brown bread just as bad as White, if not worse. Honest, try it for a fortnight and see the difference it makes.

FunnyLittleFrog Wed 29-Dec-10 18:33:43

How does not eating bread help exactly? I might give it a go as it's great for stomach weight loss too apparently.

PuppyMonkey Wed 29-Dec-10 18:44:35

I'm not at all sure tbh. A couple of people mentioned bread being a big no no for good skin and I thought I'd give it a try as an experiment. Didn't cut anything else out, just bread. So kept on with wine, chocolate etc etc. I was v.impressed. Bread has got lotsa crap in in this country hasn't it? I dunno, I just tried going without and was pretty amazed by the difference.

MilliONaire Wed 29-Dec-10 18:49:23

I have had problem skin all my life until I found dermalogica and bare essentuals make up and they have revolutinized my skin, I never get spots anymore. Worth a try. I found the antioxidant hydramist fantastic for my skin. It seems despite being combination (oily around nose, dry on cheeks) my skin was very dehydrated and therefore producing extra oil to compensate and this was leading to spots. Once my skin was more hydrated the spots completely stopped.

pipplin Wed 29-Dec-10 18:50:23

The green clarins cleanser is really good. Clarins micro dermo face scrub is the best I've tried.
Have you tried Weleda(sp?) their stuff is lovely.

NewDKmum Wed 29-Dec-10 18:53:42

I have tried many. The only products that clear up my skin are Ole Henriksen's. This roll-on Blemish Attack is great! www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_info.php/products_ id/4381

Shootingstar100 Wed 29-Dec-10 18:54:45

I use Liz Earle skincare and Bare Escentuals make up, and my skin is much better since switching. If you order from QVC you can try for 30 days and still return products if you don't like them. Where are the spots? I find I get hormonal spots around chin area, and I think that my diet makes a difference. Definitely get more if I've been eating sugary stuff!!

bethyrose Wed 29-Dec-10 19:21:34

I have been getting spots since I was 14. I'm now 33. That's nearly 20 years of thinking 'I'll grow out of this soon'. I have seen numerous dermatologists who prescribed one thing after another, including Roaccutane (the last resort!), but the spots always returned.
For years I thought it might have been dairy making them worse, but food associations are always hard to identify. That was until 3 months ago, when I cut out gluten (including bread, like PuppyMonkey suggested). The change in my skin has been amazing. Gluten is found in wheat, so I don't have bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits, pastry etc. Had a mince pie at a Christmas party two weeks ago (didn't want to seem rude or a diet nutcase by refusing), and two days later had two volcanoes erupting on my face.

I'm not claiming that going gluten free is a cure for all acne, just that it may be worth a try. It has worked for me. I appreciate that many dermatologists and doctors still give the tedious and out-dated line that research shows that acne is not related to diet (the study was from the 1960s and just tested chocolate).

For skin care, I have spent a fortune over the years on everything from Clearasil to Dermlogica. To be honest, none made a massive difference. A gentle foaming cleanser followed by a 5% benzyl peroxide topical cream worked best eg. Panoxyl, Oxy5.

Everyone's experience of acne is different. For some, the right skin care is enough to clear it up. Hopefully it will for you!

TigerseyeMum Wed 29-Dec-10 20:49:46

I also have this problem and I am 37. For me, good quality 'clean' products are esential - no parabens and yacky chemicals.

Ren and dermalogica were lifesavers but I am now using a combination of Ren, Spiezia, NYR and Dr Organic. I think the trick is not to use products that strip your skin or ae harsh - dry skin also causes spots as the flakes clog pores. So don't be afraid to keep is moisturised.

I also use foundations that don;t clog ores - non-comodegenic - at the moment the Tesco oil-free one is my favourite and easily rivals more expensive ones.

Maybe try a dermalogica consultation - they often give samples - or Ren are good if you email them. My skin is not perfect but it is a lot better!

TigerseyeMum Wed 29-Dec-10 20:50:30

My friggin keyboard keeps missing letters angry

carlossss Wed 29-Dec-10 20:54:32

Message withdrawn

bluebump Wed 29-Dec-10 20:57:39

I use a Clinique soap in the morning and Liz Earle in the evenings. Despite having fairly sensitive skin I also use Clinique clarifying lotion which I think has alcohol or something really strong as one of it's main ingredients.

Food does play a big part in whether my skin gets spots or not too, if I eat loads of bad food I get spots.

hermioneweasley Wed 29-Dec-10 21:01:26

i still get spots, but using the oil cleansing method has helped. I also 'sweep' with diluted TCP once a week. I have very oily skin and nothing i've done has been better than oil cleansing. I've tried clarins, liz earle, sanctuary, dermalogica - you name it!

kikidee Wed 29-Dec-10 21:09:20

I've reently been using Eucerin Dermo Purifyer cleanser and moisturiser and think that's making a difference. I've tried Liz Earle and Dermalogica in the past without huge success.

carlossss Wed 29-Dec-10 21:10:06

Message withdrawn

AnyFuleKno Wed 29-Dec-10 21:13:34

DON'T buy a load of expensive shit or give up bread, you don't need to.

Here is my clear skin thread what I started clicky

carlossss Wed 29-Dec-10 21:14:31

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: