Talk

Advanced search

Best make up brand?

(33 Posts)
McDreamy Mon 27-Dec-10 11:45:04

Started another thread about having a Bobbi Brown make over but just wondered what your fav/best make up brand is. I'm not very good at make up and would like to be better!

cornsilkcornedbeefhash Mon 27-Dec-10 11:47:16

I've never tried Bobbi Brown but use a variety of brands - Chanel vitalumiere, dior show etc.( You can buy Bobbi Brown from QVC BTW and they let you return stuff within 28 days if you don't like it.)

McDreamy Mon 27-Dec-10 15:02:54

Will check Qvc out. I see Bobbi Brown also has videos online which might help me - I seriously am clueless!

vinvinoveritas Mon 27-Dec-10 15:06:21

Message withdrawn

McDreamy Mon 27-Dec-10 15:08:10

Well I'm off into town and DH has told me to treat myself to an eyeshadow palette - they'll help me won't they?

OnEdge Mon 27-Dec-10 15:09:17

Chanel

vinvinoveritas Mon 27-Dec-10 15:11:00

Message withdrawn

vinvinoveritas Mon 27-Dec-10 15:13:29

Message withdrawn

polyhymnia Mon 27-Dec-10 15:28:57

Bobbbi Brown, Laura Mercier, By Terry, Becca (that last one not very easy to find admittedly, but very good). Plus occasional Clinique (mascara, sheer lipstick) and Chantecaille (tinted moisturise/ light foundation).

Also have some Dior and Chanel palettes, but I actually get much more everyday use out of my Becca cream eyeshadows and Laura Mercier or By Terry eye primers (with nothing on top, for a 'no make-up make-up' look).

McDreamy Mon 27-Dec-10 18:25:10

Thank you all for your tips. I went to House of Fraser but the bobbi brown ladies were rubbish which was a shame as the make up looked lovely. The Laura Mercier lady was nice but she didn't seem very confident in her advice which didn't fill me with confidence. I use Bare Minerals foundation so I ended up buying some make up from there and then I had a Nails Inc mini manicure. I am here typing away with deep red nails! grin

AuntieMaggie Mon 27-Dec-10 18:26:22

I had a bare minerals eyeshadow for xmas and I wore it to work yesterday and was very happy with it.

sh77 Mon 27-Dec-10 19:26:26

Chanel vitalumiere and By Terry highlighting products. Giorgio Armani for mascara.

Good foundation looks even better with a good moisturiser. Elemis pro-collagen is absolutely fab.

sh77 Mon 27-Dec-10 19:28:02

Oh yeah don't spend too much time being talked to at make up counters as you will end up buying more products than you will ever wear. They are v good at selling you the belief that they will make you look and feel better. Stick to a few good basics.

McDreamy Mon 27-Dec-10 19:44:56

She wasn't even very good at that though Sh77, and while I am sure Laura Mercier make up is lovely her make up was caked on which was a little off putting too!

Cyb Mon 27-Dec-10 19:46:27

I think HOW you apply make up far more important than brand you use

Expensive brands, badly applied will look shite

KenDoddsDadsDogEatsTinsel Mon 27-Dec-10 19:49:09

Mac is my fave beyond everything.
Also YSL for foundation and ByTerry for concealer.

McDreamy Mon 27-Dec-10 20:00:33

I think you're right cyb, I was hoping for some help today but I think I will have a look at you tube for some tips and advice!

coffeeinbed Mon 27-Dec-10 20:06:52

I mix the lot.
Nars for lipstick, Shu for eyes, Mac for Strobe cream mixed with Maybelline foundation,
And Nars for blush, multiples, highlighters.
Mascara - whatever I get in the gift with purchase baggies.
I do use very good brushes though.

mippy Mon 27-Dec-10 23:42:39

I like Urban Decay a lot, but then I like bright colours. However, their Naked palette is great, and comes with an eye primer (eye primers are ACE. Seriously.)

The only time I had my makeup done professionally was with Bobbi Brown, and I wasn't impressed - the artist used bronzer and brown eyeliner and other things that do not look great on me.

AlexaMulberry Tue 28-Dec-10 00:13:15

Chanel, Laura Mercier, Mac and Nars.

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Tue 28-Dec-10 09:16:56

Agree it depends what for and what suits your skin. For example I use Estee Lauder foundation because it stays put and they have one which they may as well have used my skin as the sample for. Plus I seem to tan in shades of Estee Lauder!

Also love Guerlain meteorites, not found a substitute in any other brand, but that's the only thing by them I use.

Expensive isn't always better. I have a 17 eyeshadow that's a brilliant colour for me - needs primer underneath though - and recently ive been impressed by Maybelline's liquid liner staying power, which was an emergency buy. Never been able to find a substitute for a Rimmel waterproof mascara I had years ago either. That was fabulous!

MickyLee Tue 28-Dec-10 09:22:27

Can't believe no one has mentioned Trish McEvoy... I love it. The eye shadows are amazing.

Prinnie Tue 28-Dec-10 09:23:18

I love my lancome eyeshadows

MrsSeanBean Tue 28-Dec-10 11:21:47

I always use Bobbi Brown eyeshadow - Bone and Stone or Cement. Plus a darker one when I go out (can't remember the name of that one as it's used infrequently.)

Lancome mascaras are best.

I like YSL lipstick.

And Chanel foundation. (However, recently bought an Avon foundation from a friend as she was starting up an agency - called skin soothing or similar - and this is also surprisingly good - for £8!)

Have never found a satisfactory powder blusher, but used to like the Nars 'multiple' stick thingies - Palm Beach I think was what I had.

carlossss Tue 28-Dec-10 11:33:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now