Talk

Advanced search

Are expensive make up brushes worth it?

(20 Posts)
purplepeony Thu 23-Dec-10 15:46:47

new year resolution- to look as good as i can at my advanced age!

Currently using brushes from Body Shop and Boots No 7.

I only use 2 eye shadow brushes and a big blusher brush.

I must admit the eye shadow brushes get used for every ( neutral) colour and they are a bit big to do anything fancy with.

Was windering about Clinique brushes or maybe Bobbi Brown????

purplepeony Thu 23-Dec-10 15:47:10

windering...not been on the sherry yet! wondering

JustAnother Thu 23-Dec-10 16:15:13

I think they are worth it, and I love Bobby Brown ones. Although the SpaceNK own brand ones are really good as well and slightly cheaper.

southeastastra Thu 23-Dec-10 16:17:41

really like the ruby and millie brushes - not too much money, i also use a watercolour thin artists brush for eyeliner

BelligerentYhoULE Thu 23-Dec-10 16:17:44

The Ruby and Millie ones are pretty good - I often buy them when Boots do those five pound off vouchers.

purplepeony Thu 23-Dec-10 16:17:51

tell me what the difference is between cheapish and better?

purplepeony Thu 23-Dec-10 16:19:16

I agree about R&M- whenever I have tried to buy using the £5 off vouchers they are sold out! Grrrrrrrrr.

Umnitsa Thu 23-Dec-10 18:50:39

I love Laura Mercier brushes; have bought a few sets over the years (typically ca. £30-35 in a sale). Absolutely worth it in my view, especially different eye make-up brushes.

mycomment Thu 23-Dec-10 19:13:56

listening for wise advice on this - I was also wondering whether getting some quality art brushes might be a thrifty alternative to high priced make up ones...

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Thu 23-Dec-10 19:17:24

I have had my body shop brushes for years. They wash well and retain their shape.

They are every bit as good as the expensive ones. There us a brush roll set online on offer tim tomorrow

purplepeony Thu 23-Dec-10 20:30:14

I have just read really bad reviews on Boots online for the R&M brushes sad

BelligerentYhoULE Thu 23-Dec-10 20:52:52

Ignore them - they are good: or deffo good comp to the No 7 ones.

southeastastra Thu 23-Dec-10 20:59:07

i have the eyeshadow and liner brushes, they're cheap enough to buy your self and make your own mind up, love mine they've lasted well

moragdingdongbellingham Thu 23-Dec-10 21:02:35

Have just bought two travel sets for presents from QVC on recommendation from a MNetter. They are excellent. Pro silk brand.

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 23-Dec-10 21:06:19

I actually prefer a pack of sponge-tipped applicators for eyeshadow.

I find that brushes shed so much onto your cheek, there's hardly any left to cover the eyes.

Costs pennies.

hugebelly Thu 23-Dec-10 23:26:27

I found the best brushes are by MAC. They are expensive, but soooo worth it. You need to wash them on a regular basis.

glovesoflove Fri 24-Dec-10 07:29:21

Bobbi Brown brushes are lovely. I had a couple and then got a set from QVC which was very good value.

Body Shop are fantastic too though I haven't bought any for a few years. The ones I bought in the mid 90s are still going strong though!

Himalaya Fri 24-Dec-10 07:41:17

The 'important' difference is the texture of the bristles. Cheaper ones are bristlier. I had been using a No 7 brush for mineral powder, but my sister (who knows about these things) bought me a posh one. Now if I use the No7 brush it feels like tiny needles!

onimolap Fri 24-Dec-10 07:43:24

I think the results on the face are more to do with the skill of the brush-wielder.

Those with great skill or interest are much more likely to have strong opinions on the merits of different brands.

For most of us, it'll make little to no difference provided you have a set with long enough handles for the brushes to be stable in your hand.

mippy Fri 24-Dec-10 12:18:09

I bought some Bare Escentuals ones on eBay for not much when I needed a liner brush. They seem pretty decent. Friend who's a beauty blogger swears by MAC and the Gosh (Superdrug carry them) flat shadow brush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now