Talk

Advanced search

Style jury, I need you

(50 Posts)
thatsnotmymonkey Wed 22-Dec-10 19:37:34

Right, I have bought this dress and I loved it it in the shop, tried it on at home and DH gives me "It's nice", when pushed (I know I am an idiot)he says "It's a bit frumpy"

Is it frumpy or sexy?

So I was going to wear it with soft wool ribbed black tights, black suede mary janes and a undone up do, dark eyes and a slash of red lippy. I am a size8/10. Will I look like a frump?

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Wed 22-Dec-10 19:39:29

It's a bit 'workwear'. Not sexy as you have no legs or tits out (i imagine that's wot blokes mean wink)

Bonsoir Wed 22-Dec-10 19:40:05

Not an easy dress to look sexy in, IMVHO.

domesticslattern Wed 22-Dec-10 19:41:08

I fear your DH might have a point.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 22-Dec-10 19:41:21

Frumpy.

Sorry.

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 22-Dec-10 19:41:21

hmmm wouldn't describe it as either frumpy or sexy....what is the occasion

dinkystinky Wed 22-Dec-10 19:41:46

The dress by itself looks abit middleaged but am sure will look lovely on you in the outfit you describe.

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 19:42:55

Oh dear. Almost certainly frumpy even on such a svelte person as yourself.

thatsnotmymonkey Wed 22-Dec-10 19:44:09

piss sticks, who knew my DH would be right!

I was going to wear it on Christmas Day and the ILs. I thought it was going for the right dressy note.

It is a bit work wear. Crapola.

Kristingle Wed 22-Dec-10 19:47:09

it depends on your age, body shape and the occasion

I would look very frumpy in it because its high neck so wouldn't suit my top heavy figure. And I'm 40 something so have to work extra hard not to look matronly. And its not my colour

if you are tall, no boobs, 20ish and plan to wear it with high shoe boots and a jacket then it might look cool. but not sexy

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 22-Dec-10 19:47:11

I did like the sound of the whole outfit I have to say (think undone updo and red lippy def sexy)...

thing is I always feel if DH has said he isn't keen on something i don't feel that great wearing it IYKWIM...

CuppaTeaJanice Wed 22-Dec-10 19:47:40

It's a bit shapeless. The sort of dress that much larger ladies wear to hide lumps and bumps.

I suppose the snakeprint is quite racy, but it's not what I'd describe as a sexy dress, if that's the effect you were after. Not frumpy either though.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 22-Dec-10 19:48:30

I didn't think Topshop did frumpy.

I agree that it's neither frumpy nor sexy, and on me it would be sack-like because it would disguise my curves and make me look fat.

But it depends on your figure and style.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 22-Dec-10 19:49:14

In fact, what Kristingle said.

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 22-Dec-10 19:49:50

ps - is sexy really the look you are after for a day with the in laws?

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 19:53:08

This with these or these would be more like it.

Undone updo and red lippy sounds good though.

Alouiseg Wed 22-Dec-10 19:53:25

Brown sack!

hatcam Wed 22-Dec-10 19:54:03

I think it's foxy. Very undone hair, a good smoky eye but no to the Mary janes, I think you need v. high shoes/shoe boots to make it work. What my mum would call "slut shoes" wink

hatcam Wed 22-Dec-10 19:55:10

Disclaimer: no no if you have zee big boobies. Won't work.

FaffTastic Wed 22-Dec-10 19:55:54

I tried that dress on - it didn't look frumpish on me as such but it was baggy round the boob area (not easy as I have big boobs for my size!) so I didn't get it. But then, I was looking for a 'sexy' dress to wear on a night out - surely this dress would be OK for christmas dinner with the in-laws?

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 19:58:46

yy fine for christmas dinner with the inlaws, but the OP wanted sexy too...

fibernachi Wed 22-Dec-10 19:59:44

Oh, I know what it is, it reminds me of a monks habit. Maybe that;s just me.

tethersjinglebellend Wed 22-Dec-10 19:59:52

I love it. With messy updo and red lips, will definitely look good. Sexy even. To most men, everything which isn't a tight, low cut mini-dress is 'frumpy'.

Wear it, you've chosen well.

StarlightPrincess Wed 22-Dec-10 20:04:30

I really like it tbh, I'd put it with a cinch belt though to cover up the band in the middle.

thatsnotmymonkey Wed 22-Dec-10 20:15:01

It gives me a waist which I do not usually have and I am pretty flat chested, so the drapey thing at the front gives me more IYSWIM.

I am liking the differing opinions.

tethers I heart you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now