Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Personal styling? Personal shopping?

(6 Posts)
GingerbreadGiraffe Tue 21-Dec-10 14:07:44

Hi
I had a work bonus this year and DH is adamant that Im to spend it on myself grin

So I was thinking of getting a style/wardrobe consultant and or some personal shopping.

Im doing this as i am clueless regarding what to buy. I go for stuff i know and dont have much of a head for following fashion.
I tend to do "comfy" too much.

Anyone got experience of doing this? was it good?

cheapskatemum Tue 21-Dec-10 23:03:11

Hi! I had a brilliant first experience, then, when she gave it up (to become a prison counsellor), made the mistake of thinking someone else would be just as good. It took me several months to realise she was just crap - kept trying to style me like herself & we had totally different shapes. Not sure how you can avoid this, the first woman was initially trained by Colour Me Beautiful, so maybe check a potential wardrobe consultant's credentials?

SickOnMyShoulder Wed 22-Dec-10 08:25:44

go to john lewis or debenhmas, it's free, fab and then you can spend the money on your new wardrobe

Dorothyredboots Wed 22-Dec-10 12:03:58

I would deffo go for a colour/image session with House of Colour (depends how much money you have, colour sessions start at £95). You will be able to shop effectively forever once you know what suits your colouring and your personality type. I had this as a Christmas present last year and have not looked back - I get compliments all the time on my clothes etc - I'm not wearing anything particularly 'out there' but what I do wear is perfect for ME! I feel much more confident about my clothes and feel I am expressing my personality much better through what I wear.

GingerbreadGiraffe Wed 22-Dec-10 12:19:20

thanks ladies. THis is really helpful.

I was originally thinking of doing the JL / Debenhams thing but thought i might get pressed into buying stuff in store rather than getting an Gok Wan type experience.

I will look into house of colours.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 22-Dec-10 22:04:17

I've also been to HoC and done the style consult as well a the colour.

I didn't quite 'get' it the first time I don't think (maybe because, as it turned out, the consultant was about to retire), but last summer, to celebrate losing weight, I went to a lady who initially trained at HoC but is now independent.

She was amazing, and got me wearing things I wouldn't have dreamed of. She took me on a shopping trip rather than doing a detailed consult as I'd already done that; HoC will initially do a talking session, analysing your style rather than taking you shopping.

Just wish I had the cash now to make the most of it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: